MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default 2013 BBQ Resolutions ~ Here Are Some ~ What Are Yours

Below is an good article from The Washington Post with 2013 BBQ resolutions from some folks we all recognize.... So I thought we could take this one step farther, or further,.... and add some of our resolutions. I'm working on mine and will post later today.

Here is the link to the article if you want to check out more on this.

-----------------------------

The barbecue world looks back . . . and forward

By Jim Shahin

Over New Year’s Eve dinner, the subject came up, as it is wont to do: What is your resolution for the coming year?

Among the usual declarations — get in better shape, lose weight — I proclaimed that I will learn to make pastrami. It is the same resolution I made last year. Except for eating some pastrami sandwiches, I never came close to fulfilling my vow.

This year will be different. Honest. I mean it this time.

Actually, I do. I love pastrami, and I find that it is next to impossible to find a truly sublime version. Rosy pink. Juicy, but not overly fatty. (Notice I said, overly.) Sliced thin. On rye. With just the right mustard.

In the same way that a princess has to kiss a lot of frogs to find her prince, so I figure I will make a lot of terrible briskets before I perfect my pastrami. But this is the year. As resolutions go, it’s gotta be more achievable than getting in shape.

I wondered what other barbecue-meisters had on their resolution plate. So I asked a few. Here are their answers:

Ray Lampe (National Pork Board) Ray Lampe, a.k.a. Dr. BBQ , champion competitor and author of seven cookbooks. “For 2013, I resolve to use genuine low-and-slow barbecue techniques in my cooking. No more of this hot-and-fast braising shortcutting. This faux barbecue lacks the attributes that make the real thing so special, like the crispy bark, the smoky twang and that texture that can only be achieved by long-and-slow cooking.”

Michael Fay, chief cook and pitmaster of Aporkalypse Now competition team and president of the Mid Atlantic Barbecue Association. “Just win, baby! Develop new flavor profiles and competition techniques to improve on 2012’s record; to win our way back to the Jack Daniel’s Invitational competition in October.”

John Markus, creator and executive producer of “BBQ Pitmasters.” “I am resolved this year to buy no more barbecue pits. And that’s because I designed and built a rotisserie cooker myself, one that can turn out true, old school-tasting barbecue in big numbers with big flavor. I call it my ‘done right’ smoker. I think my hobby is in need of an intervention.”

Craig “Meathead” Goldwyn, creator of the Web site, AmazingRibs.com. “In 2013, I resolve to continue my quest to test all the accepted wisdom and bust myths. Read ‘Meat Science’ magazine cover to cover even if I can’t understand half the words in it. Be more creative with seasoning and saucing. Create more recipes for veggies. Cook outside the box.”

Stan Hays, competitor and co-founder of Operation BBQ Relief. “My resolution is to improve our [team’s] consistency with pork. With OBR, our resolution is to improve our response process.”

Myron Mixon (Alex Martinez) Myron Mixon, three-time world champion, “BBQ Pitmasters” judge, cookbook author, restaurateur. “To bring great barbecue to more cities with the expansion of my Pride & Joy restaurants. Develop new techniques and flavors that will keep my barbecue classes on the cutting edge. Make every barbecue show entertaining and informative. Above all else, keep family and friends involved in my life. Without them, the rest doesn’t matter.”

‘Cue Meat Week. The national “holiday time forgot” known as Meat Week is set for Jan. 27-Feb. 3. Celebrated, if that is the right word, in 22 cities across the country, the orgy of barbecue-eating is in its fourth year in Washington, where there will be a Barbecue Food Truck Face-Off this year. Among the seven sites, Epic Smokehouse in Arlington and Kangaroo Boxing Club in the District are new to the itinerary. Details are here.

Golden Rib Award. In an online vote, readers of the Web site, GrillingWithRich.com, awarded Operation BBQ Relief the site’s “BBQ Person of the Year.” The site’s founder, Richard Wachtel, acknowledges the organization isn’t a person but argues its rapid-response feeding operations in areas devastated by Superstorm Sandy and Hurricane Isaac, among other locales, make the group deserving. I concur. And so, for service and activity of special distinction, I follow suit. The winner of the 2012 Smoke Signals Golden Rib Award goes to Operation BBQ Relief.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
NeoTrout
is One Chatty Farker

My BBQ resolution(s) is to BBQ more often (I grill all the time) and to utilize all the various cookers and equipment I have accumulated over the past few years.

Klose 20x48 Deluxe Offset Pipe Smoker
Weber 22.5, Weber 22.5 w/Rotisserie
Weber Performer, Weber Ranch Kettle, 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe, Weber Homer Simpson Smokey Joe
Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer, Blackstone 28" Griddle
Brinkmann Smoke'n Grill, UDS, Weber 26"
H-D FLHR
NeoTrout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'm all in on the pastrami thing. That's my next bbq mission.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Lose weight so I can BBQ even more!
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
volfan411
On the road to being a farker

Lose weight, do my first brisket and develop a sauce that suits me.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Lose weight so I can BBQ even more!

^^^ this +1,000.

I plan cure & smoke my own bacon for the first time, as well as cook more sides outside. Also, our team plans to do several more comps than I have been able to do by myself for the past two years. 2013 promises to be a great BBQ'in year!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM   #7
TN Guy
Got rid of the matchlight.

I like how you think Smoothsmoke! I'll second what you said and i also want to build my first UDS this year.
TN Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
jgarcia

My resolution is to finally do a brisket and to BBQ more in general.

... also not to go crazy this summer when we go to Disney with the wifes extended family (6 total families, 19 kids and the parent-in-laws). Inevitable drama when you have that many people, but they are family so its all good.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

At some point I just have to try to do a brisket, a fresh ham or bacon,hopefully all three.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, I'm far from stingy or anything..... but this year I'm going to make an effort to share more stuff, more often. It's easy enough to smoke an extra fatty, a few more blocks of cheese, two fillets instead of one, a big load of hocks, a family pack of legs, etc.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarcia View Post
... also not to go crazy this summer when we go to Disney with the wifes extended family (6 total families, 19 kids and the parent-in-laws). Inevitable drama when you have that many people.
That, my man, is why they invented valium.....

Old 01-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #12
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Mine are:
1. Figure out how to cook a brisket that I like.
2. Work on developing a sauce that hits all the notes that I want it to.
3. Smoke some bacon!
4. Use some more of my cookers more regularly, otherwise my wife might start buggin' me to get rid of some.
5. Lose 10 more lbs ( I lost 35 last year).
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
That, my man, is why they invented valium.....
+1. Give it to the in-laws first, then take some yourself. Rinse and repeat.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Q*bert

My resolution is to compete. I've signed up for this year's Pork in the Park ribs/chicken amateur division, so we'll see how it goes from there...
[COLOR="black"][COLOR="Blue"][URL="http://www.facebook.com/AstroPigs"]http://www.facebook.com/AstroPigs[/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="LightBlue"]KCBS MABA[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"][B][I][U]Proudly Sponsored By:[/U][/I][/B][/COLOR]
The BBQ Equipment Store [URL="http://http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/"]http://http://www.bbqequipmentstore.com/[/URL]
K-Coast Surf Shop [URL="http://www.kcoast.com/"]http://www.kcoast.com/[/URL]
J.O. Spice Company Inc. [URL="http://www.jospices.com/"]http://www.jospices.com/[/URL]
Q*bert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Your lox recipe (and other cold smoked stuff i.e. cheese etc.), fresh ham, & bacon.