MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Fuel

So for a decent firebox what combination is preferred? Once a new smoker arrives; either a Lang 84 or something similar I know I'm in for a bit of an adjustment.

When I first started was briquets and apple / pecan wood chunks. Then went to briquets and sticks of apple / pecan. Then Lump Coal and Wood Chunks. I've been using Lump Coal and Wood Chunks for now; since it seems to have least amount of ash. Only thing I've really noticed with my PoS smoker is that it doesn't hold heat well so the briquets would last longer.

But thoughts on the new smoker will be lump coal starter with sticks for burning? Just trying to get my head wrapped around it.

FYI - think of me and my buddy like this: I'm a full time computer geek so am a lot like Toughie and my team mate Craig, is a long time electrician / general contractor with an attitude like Johnny Triggs. It is an interesting mesh of geek sheets and just get-r-done attitude.

And yes I am seriously looking at getting the CyberQ WiFi by Guru ... one step at a time though.

Again I'm new and greatly welcome all feedback.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

For a pit of the size and type you've mentioned many/most folks start with a good bed of charcoal coals and start adding seasoned split wood, followed with wood splits every 30 minutes to 1 hour as required. I just fire up the propane fire starter under a bed of lump coal toped with a couple of splits since I'm a lazy bastige. Do a search for small hot fire down at the bottom of the page.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Here ya go...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...&highlight=hot

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks guys ... BBQ Bandit that link was great! It kind of made my day. My brother and his friend were over while I was reading this and asked me why go through so much trouble to make something that you can buy. I "Gibbs" both of them (you need to watch NCIS to know the reference) and said cause I LOVE BBQ and not some cheap knock off.

Notes added to my BBQ Journal! Thanks again.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:05 PM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Your getting a Corvette they burn High test. not regular. If you want to use charcoal save the money I'll give you an ECB.