First contest coming later this month

R

RonsterQ

and need to talk glaze...recipes and taste and tenderness are good but the glaze kills me! Don't need it at home but need it for the box....anything to give some shine with no added flavor except butter? ...thanks

Making your sauce "wetter" is the most common way to achieve the glazed look. This can be done with lots of stuff -- honey, water, vinegar, evoo, etc., etc., -- but you want to be careful about any flavor change.

The two most common methods to achieve glazed appearance are (1) a fine mist of warm water sprayed over the bits in the box, and/or (2) for chicken and ribs, dipping the pieces in warmed sauce.

Warning: There is no KCBS requirement that the meat have a glazed appearance. This is just a trend that has sprung up, particularly on chicken.

Hub

Forgot my glaze on the pork butt last weekend and got my best scores

Making your sauce "wetter" is the most common way to achieve the glazed look. This can be done with lots of stuff -- honey, water, vinegar, evoo, etc., etc., -- but you want to be careful about any flavor change.

The two most common methods to achieve glazed appearance are (1) a fine mist of warm water sprayed over the bits in the box, and/or (2) for chicken and ribs, dipping the pieces in warmed sauce.

Warning: There is no KCBS requirement that the meat have a glazed appearance. This is just a trend that has sprung up, particularly on chicken.

Hub
I know it's not a requirement but seems all I've seen is shiny stuff...and correct don't want it to change the taste....I refuse to sauce it...oh well it's gonna be a good experience either way...and it's on my 50th B-Day...uh-oh

I know it's not a requirement but seems all I've seen is shiny stuff...and correct don't want it to change the taste....I refuse to sauce it...oh well it's gonna be a good experience either way...and it's on my 50th B-Day...uh-oh

happy birthday and good luck!

i would strongly suggest you not "refuse" to do anything in competition.

it's not about your principles on cooking, but getting good scores from the judges. whatever that takes.

Back