MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Question Looking for insight on specialty pork butts.

I am looking for some honest advice and input when it comes to high quality competition pork. *Being from Iowa, having many friends that raise pigs, and having massive pork supplies at reasonable prices readily available I have never thought I would need to upgrade to a higher quality of pork.
I was recently put in touch with a custom pork producer here in Iowa. *We spoke about the needs of bbq competitors in terms of pork. *I explained what I would like and the head of purchasing and packing said he would be happy to butcher to those exact specs.
Today I received two, 11 pound avg. pork butts, cut from the second rib with 1/4" fat left on. *
I opened one cryopac and took numerous photos, including the massive money muscle. *From what I have seen in person and online this product looks similar to Snake River Farms and Eden Farms products.
If anyone would like to take a look at my photos and see the product for yourself please send me a private message.
I guess I would like to know what people that regularly buy Snake River Farms and other custom cuts of pork look for and what I should look for in this Iowa raised pork.
Thanks a bunch!
Leatherheadiowa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Why not post the pics for all to see?

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

I hope these phots look alright. I do pharmaceutical research, not photography...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P2230064.jpg (76.2 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg P2230072.jpg (36.8 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg P2230075.jpg (50.0 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg P2230065.jpg (59.1 KB, 301 views)
File Type: jpg P2230066.jpg (58.1 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg P2230067.jpg (59.8 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg P2230068.jpg (63.8 KB, 297 views)

Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

what do you mean "cut from the second rib" ?

big..

maybe a pic is a bit deceiving but it looks a bit lean compared to the avg butt at RD.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Cutting closer to the neck at the second rib instead of the standard packing cut allows for more of the money muscle to be harvested from the carcass.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

The thing you have to be careful for is how legal the kcbs would consider that cut.

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I do not typically compete, but, I do prefer heritage hogs for cooking and eating. My comments:

Berkshire Black (Kurobuta)-meat has a pure white fat, it renders well and the product will end up meaty but with noticeable fatty mouthfeel. The meat is a little more red, and a little stronger in flavor than commodity pork. There is more fat, but, I do not believe it changed cooking times appreciably. This is a great flavor and fat pork. The shoulders make a great pulled or chopped product. Typically the butts are smaller than commodity pork.

Duroc-another fine pork, with a fine white fat and a lighter pink color, similar in appearance to commodity pork. This pork has typically taken less time to render and cook for me. The flavor is outstanding and the cut is a little longer and narrower than Berkshire Black. I really like the bellies, as they are narrow and lean, makes for a delicate cut. Again, smaller than your typical commodity hog cut.

Halukka-exclusive hybrid breed for Beeler's pork in Indiana, an amazing and flavorful butt, with good white fat, these have run larger than heritage hogs cuts, and darker pink than commodity pork. I really like this pork and will buy them when I can. They cook slower but, are much more flavorful and produce a product with less of a fatty mouthfeel. I do not like these pulled into strings, they seem to dry out a bit as they cool.

Niman Ranch, will not disclose breed, but, they are from largely Indiana and Iowa farmers, and the pork is outstanding. These are typically grown for chops, thus the shoulders I have found have been larger than most, with noticeable marbling and great texture. I really like these pulled into larger chunks for eating. Like the Halluka, not a great stringed up pork product.

Landrace, I am not sure which one, I believe the farmer I was buying them from was using Dutch Landrace, but, I have forgotten. These were large butts, with lean meat between veins of very white fat. These cooked up amazingly well, sadly, I have not seen it on the market of late. The young woman who was farming these may have gotten out of the business. These were great butts to work with, and made the best pulled pork product I have had.

Hope that helped. I would gladly compete with any of these. I have used the Snake River farms chops, but, not the butts. I believe it is a straigth Kurobuta (Berkshire Black hog) with selective processing.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Leatherheadiowa
Full Fledged Farker

Yeah, we don't need to revisit that issue. Item #10 in the KCBS rules looks to be followed, and appears that this cut is no different than SRF or EF, or any other high dollar Kurobuta pork.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #9
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leatherheadiowa View Post
Yeah, we don't need to revisit that issue. Item #10 in the KCBS rules looks to be followed, and appears that this cut is no different than SRF or EF, or any other high dollar Kurobuta pork.
That's a nice looking roast, but it's not a IMPS 406 Boston Butt (according to IMPS). In the US the carcass has to be broken no further than the first rostal rib, or the neck shall be removed by a straight cut approximately parallel to the loin side, immediately anterior to the half moon muscle (M. pectorales profundus - the money muscle).

An awayyyyyy we go............
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289

Last edited by Slamdunkpro; 02-24-2012 at 10:51 PM..
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
That's a nice looking roast, but it's not a IMPS 406 Boston Butt (according to IMPS). In the US the carcass has to be broken no further than the first rostal rib, or the neck shall be removed by a straight cut approximately parallel to the loin side, immediately anterior to the half moon muscle (M. pectorales profundus - the money muscle).

An awayyyyyy we go............

Wow, that's quite the technical rebuttal!
Is there a rep in the land who might inspect that chunk-o-meat and declare it illegal?
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
GreenDrake
is One Chatty Farker

I have cooked kurobuta butts and plan on doing so again this year, they are phenomenal. The fat is much creamier and renders quite well.
GreenDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

We used kurobuta at Havasu with great results. I don't think upon inspection one would think other than "Man that's a big butt".

Landarc that a great breakdown.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Wow, that's quite the technical rebuttal!
Is there a rep in the land who might inspect that chunk-o-meat and declare it illegal?
Ed
That's the whole issue with the pork rule as written, unless you're a butcher, are willing to stick a needle probe in the butt to measure the depth of the money muscle relative to the blade bone, or are looking at a 406 butt and a long cut butt side by side there's no way to tell.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #14
INmitch
is one Smokin' Farker

To each his own......butt (pun intended)........I myself couldn't make that walk after getting a call for something that might be remotely stretching the rules. I'll stick to adding trophies to the shelf with my IBP's.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:41 AM   #15
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I am sure that it is some really good pork but in the case of money muscles, size doesn't always matter....its how you cook it.

Tags
iowa, pork, snake river