MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Tried scamming me twice this week.

I've got two emails like below twice this week. Watch out for them!

1st one

Hello My name is John Simson and I would like to order for individual Chicken Caesar Salad Individual wrap in your restaurant for 150 people on 7th December and pick up time is 3pm and it's for my Mom's Birthday Party and it will be picked up by my courier agent and I am ready to pay the full payment with my credit card so get to me with the following information below......

Pickup Address:
Personal cell #:
Total cost for the food:
Type of credit card:

Best Regards,

2nd one

Hello My name is John Simson and I would like to order for Grilled Chicken Salad Wrap in your restaurant for 150 people on 14th December and pick up time is 3pm and it's for my Mom's Birthday Party and it will be picked up by my carrier agent and I am ready to pay the full payment with my credit card so get to me with the following information below......

Pickup Address:
Personal cell #:
Total cost for the food:
Type of credit card:

Best Regards,
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 01:58 AM   #2
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

ROFL...Tell John that he needs to provide his CC info.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #3
azken
is one Smokin' Farker

Is John Simson living in Nigeria?
azken is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
TIMMAY
is One Chatty Farker

You need to reply with this. "Sir, it would be more convenient for me to combine both orders together for both of your mothers' birthdays. Since this is such a special occasion for both of your mothers I want to ensure you get the freshest food possible. How do we arrange the shipping to Nigeria so this is possible?"
TIMMAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Tell John Simson his mother said she doesn't like chicken ceasar salad and she left her shoes at yer house.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Thank you intergoogle:

http://aixelsyd13.wordpress.com/tag/john-simson/

Quote:
The dreaded ‘individual Chicken Cæsar Salad Individual wrap’ scam…
Posted on November 19, 2011 | 5 Comments

Image by Tim Rodenberg via Flickr
At first, I thought this was someone mistaking me for McDonald’s (or another food place) again, then I thought it’s most likely spam. At any rate, I’m having some fun at some scammer’s expense. I don’t think English is their first language…

Date: Thu, Nov 17, 2011
Subject: Attn-My Mom Birthday Party (Chicken Caesar Salad)
To:

Hello My name is John Simson and I would like to order for individual Chicken Caesar Salad Individual wrap in your restaurant for 150 people on 29th November and pick up time is 3pm and it’s for my Mom’s Birthday Party and it will be picked up by my courier agent and I am ready to pay the full payment with my credit card so get to me with the following information below……

Pickup Address:
Personal cell #:
Total cost for the food:
Type of credit card:

Best Regards,
John Simson
Always eager to help, I wrote back.

Subject: Re: Attn-My Mom Birthday Party (Chicken Caesar Salad)
To: john simson

Hello Mr. Simson,

It would be my pleasure to prepare your “individual Chicken Cæsar Salad Individual wrap” order for 150 people! Can I ask where you found my company’s contact information? We believe in strong kick-backs & discounts for referrals!

Would you like 150 wraps, or 200 or so …in case people want seconds? I’m somewhat unclear on your wording… perhaps you would like one giant individual chicken cæsar salad wrap that can feed 150 people?

Your mom is a lucky lady! To not only know 150 people, but to have a son like you that’s putting together such a grand event (with super-fine dining to boot) is an incredible thing. Perhaps you can up your count to 151 and I’ll hand deliver? I don’t have many friends, but I do like parties!

Would you like to stamp your mother’s name along with a happy birthday message on the outside of the wrap(s)? Advertising with printing directly on the wraps is standard for us, so it’s no big deal & not much of an extra charge for us to add a custom message. We feel that we must seize every opportunity to advertise.

Currently we’re working on exciting “edible” advertisements that will pass through your system and remind you of our catering services upon their exit. They always come out (well, usually always), but they’re not always readable. We need to work on a smooth non-stick or oily surface that always floats. We hope to be a leader in defecation-marketing!

I don’t have a personal cell phone, as I mentioned before… I don’t have many friends. I would prefer cash since I can deliver in person. Then you won’t need to worry about my address… and I’m not sure why you’re asking for a type of credit card when you’re the one paying me.

I can get back to you with the total cost once you tell me if you desire the custom birthday message, how many wraps exactly, and if you’ll need any side orders. May I reccomend the potato chips? They’re homemade, and each one is designed like a tasty business card! Also, I have a discount for friends, pending the party invitation. Maybe your courier agent and I can hang out? I like bicycles.

Looking forward to your business!
-Waldo Lunar

Reasonable enough questions, right?

To: Waldo Lunar <[email protected]>

Thanks for the email,I want you to understand that am hearing impaired so the best way for me to communicate with you is via email and i can only make payment via my credit card.Thanks
WHAT? Heh. Sorry, that was tasteless. I still don’t know how they’re going to scam me by providing their credit card information. I don’t want to be baited into taking it either.

To: John Simson <[email protected]>

Thanks again Mr. Simson,

We can do that then, no problem. I abhor the phone. See? We’re already forming the bonds of friendship! How is your mother? I hope she is well. Sorry it took so long for me to reply, I’m up to my eyeballs in turkey dinner preparation. I think there must be a holiday next week, we’ve had a big rush for individual turkey wraps.

I am uncomfortable taking credit information via email. Any type of card is acceptable. Would you be able to pay upon pickup or delivery? I can perhaps get one of those gadgets that connects to my work cell phone and swipes credit cards. I hear that Nigerian scams abound out there on the internet… people phishing for personal details, and what-not. They are indeed the scourge of the modern age, my friend. They prey upon the naive, and the kind-hearted like you and me.

May I ask, why you were inquiring about a type of card if you’re the one paying… and why about a personal cell phone if you’re hearing impaired? Is it to text? Have you looked into a TDD system?

Also, as far as the pickup address, which location would you prefer for a pickup?

If you could please answer the questions from my last email, it would help move things along. I also forgot to ask (silly me!) what the date of the party is?

I’m thinking cost-wise, we’ll be anywhere from $7 to $14 per person, depending on side options, possible drinks, portion sizes, and pending the custom matronly birthday wishes. I realize that it’s a steep price, but my individual chicken Cæsar wraps are the best in the tri-state area. “For real, son.” …as they said in the streets a few years ago. I joke, because I feel we will be great friends, John.

As soon as you answer all my questions, we’ll be good to go! What kind of dress is the party? I don’t want to show up in my tux if we’re all supposed to be in jeans! Or is there a theme? I went to a party one time where we all wore Hawaiian shirts. It was very exotic! Maybe with a chicken Cæsar theme, we could do a toga party? Or, if everyone wore flowered sheets, a Hawaiian toga party? Rome meets Maui! I could put pineapple rings on the wraps to decorate. I was also thinking if you’d like to attach a photo of your mother, we could also perhaps print that on the individual wraps? Do you have a ukulele? Maybe we can look up some Roman songs.

Please, respond at your earliest convenience my friend! You should practice this to impress your mother: “Donec mater grata luau in honore tuo! Sit amicus recens Waldo.” Google Translate is quite fun!

Malama pono salutem plurimam,
-Waldo

Your move, “Mr. Simson”!
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-04-2011, 01:21 AM   #7
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Hello

I will like to speak to the owner or manager of the restaurant,My Name is Kely Benson and My only Son wedding is coming up on the 9th of December i have some in laws coming so i will like to order BBQ chicken salad or you can also send me your menu to choose the kind of food available for dinner for 150 guests dinner that are coming our inlaws and people we invited and it will be pick up by 4 pm by delivery co and payment will be made by my credit card Now so i will also need your name,address and phone number,cell phone number, due to my disability and i am at the hospital will undergo surgery in 3 days time so can u make it for me? So can i have the total cost of the food now with your name,address and phone number includes your cell phone number.I will await your email asap.

Note : I will want you to get back to me with the total cost of the food fees and all the expenses cost so that i can give you my credit card information.

Regards
Kely Benson

Send Email
Add to Contacts
Edit Contact

Send SMS/MMS
Add to Contacts
Edit Contact

The features you want. The control you need.
As a fully integrated part of Verizon’s 100% fiber-optic network. FiOS Digital Voice gives you HD-quality communication along with rock-solid reliability. It also gives you more than 20 advanced features that give you unprecedented control of the way you make and receive calls.
Order Now!

View Your Calls and Voice Mail Here Too!

You can see your homephone call log and voice mail in your Calls and Voice Mail
inboxes. You can also listen to your homephone voicemail from here as well!

Get Call logs and Voice Mail

I got this one
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

here was mine(and my response). I was getting them a few times a week. Guess my prices were to steep.

Quote:

Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 12:14 AM
To: 'DEBBIE WILLIAMS'
Subject: RE: 300 People order

Sure, 50$ per head. $15,000, plus 25% gratuity $3750, Total $18,750. Each order comes with its own dish, fork, spoon and one half a paper towel. For $10 extra per person, we will send someone to help you eat it too.

Payment must be paid in full, 3 days up front, IN PERSON, CASH ONLY.

I will even throw in some sushi and kung po shrimp.

Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 4:21 PM
To: DEBBIE WILLIAMS
Subject: 300 People order

Am in the hospital now recovering from ear surgery and i will like to let you know that the event date is 14th September 2011 .

I will like to make an order for 300 people for my company 25th Anniversary
on the 14th September 2011. This is pick up order . And i want it in buffet style and picking up 3pm and also i will need napkins,silverware. etc. And it will be picking up 3pm on the event date. And also the event hall is just 35minute drive to your restaurant.

Chicken Sandwiches
With Sides: potato salad and chips and coleslaw.

So let me have the price per person and the estimate total for the 300 people order.

Email Me to:
[email protected]

Regards
Andy Washko

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #9
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

That's funny right there!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 AM   #10
AiXeLsyD13
Found some matches.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
Thank you intergoogle:

Heh, thanks for sharing my link, colonel00! I found this forum from my WordPress dashboard. It shows incoming links, and I saw I had a few hits from here.

Is this an odd scam or what? I'm not sure of the point. They're trying to give their contact & credit card information? Is it a language barrier, or a comprehension problem? Ha ha.

I don't even have a catering business. I just blog about goofy stuff, and occasionally food. (I do have a BBQ post or 2, but I'm more of an eater than a cooker when it comes to BBQ, ha ha.)

I have no idea how they would have obtained my info, other than they have a bot trolling the interwebs for an email address associated with text about food. I tried to ask "which location" to see if they realized that I don't even have a business name or anything.

I actually got another similar request that I'll post soon, with a slightly more engaging response. I wonder if it's the same people, that think I'm really that stupid... or if they took a really bad "how to be an internet scam artist" class, or what?

At any rate, I'm glad I'm not alone. I also hope small catering business owners out there don't fall for this, even though I'm not sure exactly what the "end game" is here.

Thanks for sharing, and glad you found it amusing!

Is it OK to reference and link to this Forum/Thread in my next post about the dreaded Grilled Chicken Caesar scam? Is it also OK to then post the link here? (I know you guys have rules about links, don't want to get out of line.)

Rock on!
AiXeLsyD13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

There was a story in our local paper about a couple that wired $800.00 western union for some puppies and got scammed, while it is not the same scam, remember to never buy something and pay with western union, a western union transaction the scammer needs no ID
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #12
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
There was a story in our local paper about a couple that wired $800.00 western union for some puppies and got scammed, while it is not the same scam, remember to never buy something and pay with western union, a western union transaction the scammer needs no ID

My brother got semi burned in a legit business deal some years back. It worked out, but afterwards he made a personal rule. Never do business with someone that he could not reach across the counter and strangle if they were trying to scam him.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #13
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

This is a form of a Courier Grift.

The grifter - in this case the emailer or in some cases a person calling via TTD - wants a large order of food. Rather than having the joint deliver - they will be sending a courier. As the courier requires cash payment, they will ask you to charge the credit card an additional amount - usually a few hundred to $1000 - and wire the money to the courier service. Why do you have to wire it? Well, the grifter is in the hospital & cannot take it or wire it to them & the courier does not accept credit cards (yeah right).

Of course - there is no courier service. It's nothing more than a receiving address for any one foolish enough to send the wire. Additionally - the credit card used it certainly stolen & will ultimately get rejected or the charges will be reversed.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #14
AiXeLsyD13
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachahut View Post
This is a form of a Courier Grift...
That's really interesting & rather intricate... ha ha. Hard to believe that people fall for this kind of craziness.

I guess services like Western Union aren't held accountable for identifying those that use their services? Shady.
AiXeLsyD13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #15
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachahut View Post
This is a form of a Courier Grift.

The grifter - in this case the emailer or in some cases a person calling via TTD - wants a large order of food. Rather than having the joint deliver - they will be sending a courier. As the courier requires cash payment, they will ask you to charge the credit card an additional amount - usually a few hundred to $1000 - and wire the money to the courier service. Why do you have to wire it? Well, the grifter is in the hospital & cannot take it or wire it to them & the courier does not accept credit cards (yeah right).

Of course - there is no courier service. It's nothing more than a receiving address for any one foolish enough to send the wire. Additionally - the credit card used it certainly stolen & will ultimately get rejected or the charges will be reversed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AiXeLsyD13 View Post
That's really interesting & rather intricate... ha ha. Hard to believe that people fall for this kind of craziness.

I guess services like Western Union aren't held accountable for identifying those that use their services? Shady.

A little info about western union, if your brother loses all his money and ID while he is in Vegas you can wire him money with a code word, as long as he knows the code word you gave western union he could walk into any western union anywhere and get the money you wired him.

I have a buddy in Mesa, he and I were on the phone a couple years ago and he was telling me he had to run to the store to wire money to a guy in Florida to buy a car and the guy was even going to ship it for free, all for only $5500.00, I asked if he new the guy he said the guy gave him a password to put on the wire transfer so he would no it was legit, I saved my buddy a few bucks that day.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote