BBQ Guru Competitor

morgaj1

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just got a used BBQ Guru Competitor with a 10 cfm fan, that came with new probes and power adapter. I can't wait to use it this weekend. I really wanted a DigiQ 2, but couldn't afford it. I got this one for $100 shipped to my door. It looks like it is brand new. I know it's not the latest and greatest, but I am excited.

I've had a Competitor for about six years and just this past summer purchased a new DX 2 for our other egg. The DX 2 occasionally has a little freak out and I need to give him a hard reset. It is "smarter" than the Competitor but in all honesty I think I like the Competitor better. Maybe I'm just getting old but there is something about that kind of build that just seems better and reliable. I think you will love it.

I have a couple of things I learned with my Competitor.

1. When I'm planning on using it for low and slow I first get my egg up to temperature with the heat probe inside before I ever use the fan. It is really easy to overshoot the low temps when using the Competitor since it just keeps blowing until the probe reads the set temp.

2. It doesn't know if you open the lid on your cooker so as soon as the probe drops in temp the fan is going to kick in. Depending on what you are doing that can really heat up your coals and when you shut the lid you will be over your temp. I now use the little fan door slider doohickey and shut the vent completely when I open my egg. Once I shut the lid a wait a minute for the probe to read the actual temp before I open the vent again. Just don't forget to open the vent back up.

It is a great product - have fun.

I just got a used BBQ Guru Competitor with a 10 cfm fan, that came with new probes and power adapter. I can't wait to use it this weekend. I really wanted a DigiQ 2, but couldn't afford it. I got this one for $100 shipped to my door. It looks like it is brand new. I know it's not the latest and greatest, but I am excited.

You should be, that's an excellent deal. and it's the same set-up I've used for years.

I've had a Competitor for about six years and just this past summer purchased a new DX 2 for our other egg. The DX 2 occasionally has a little freak out and I need to give him a hard reset. It is "smarter" than the Competitor but in all honesty I think I like the Competitor better. Maybe I'm just getting old but there is something about that kind of build that just seems better and reliable. I think you will love it.

I have a couple of things I learned with my Competitor.

1. When I'm planning on using it for low and slow I first get my egg up to temperature with the heat probe inside before I ever use the fan. It is really easy to overshoot the low temps when using the Competitor since it just keeps blowing until the probe reads the set temp.

I do the same thing. I treat the guru like a cruise control..... Not an auto pilot. :mrgreen:

2. It doesn't know if you open the lid on your cooker so as soon as the probe drops in temp the fan is going to kick in. Depending on what you are doing that can really heat up your coals and when you shut the lid you will be over your temp. I now use the little fan door slider doohickey and shut the vent completely when I open my egg. Once I shut the lid a wait a minute for the probe to read the actual temp before I open the vent again. Just don't forget to open the vent back up.

When I tend to the meat, I just unplug the power cord from the brain. Then after I'm done I close the lid for about 3 or 4 minutes to let everything settle back down...., then plug the brain back in.

It is a great product - have fun.

Hey, I still have my original BBQ Guru Competitor, and it has not skipped a beat in over 4 years. I only got a DigiQ because I needed another draft control, but let me tell you, I would never give up my Competitor, you are going to love it :clap2:.

Back