MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
brog315
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Trailer build - help needed

I am in the process of building a 250 gallon reverse flow trailer smoker, with a warming box over the firebox. My goal is to also be able to use the warming box as a vertical smoker for small cooks, and to have the option to not have to heat up the entire smoke chamber.

I have a baffle made that can close off the main smoke chamber from the firebox, but my question is how big/small of an opening do I need in the "roof" of the firebox leading into the warming box. I have seen calculations for just about everything else needed for a smoker, but can't locate this info. Any and all ideas are welcomed.

Thank you,
Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-06-12_15.34.39.jpg (99.9 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-12_16 32 43.jpg (100.0 KB, 221 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-05-28_08.57.54.jpg (86.9 KB, 221 views)
brog315 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

sorry i don't know the answer partly because i have never built a trailer pit but i know many people who want to use a firebox as a smoker place in on the other side of the smoking chamber. have you considered this?

also, i know you said you have found calculations for other things but this is nice to have http://webpages.charter.net/tomchism...%20Calculator/ just click on the Doris link.

i am not experienced when it comes to this so dont be discouraged by my inaptitude! there are a lot of brighter minds in the brethren ranks that will answer your questions. looking good so far!
dealm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
Zak
Full Fledged Farker

I think i can picture in my head what you're trying to accomplish but i'm not 100% sure. Why don't you just cut the same size opening as the baffle in the roof of the firebox/floor of the warming box so you can put the smoke in the main cooking chamber or redirect it to the warming box by simply turning the baffle? Just adjust temps through fire control. You might want to add some lips in the warming box so when you have the baffle open so smoke is going into the cooking chamber, there's a good seal and not much heat will find it's way into the warming box.

Last edited by Zak; 06-15-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Zak is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
Puppyboy
Babbling Farker

I would guess if you cut a hole in your firebox roof, your warming box would become more of a smoker.

I do not know how this would work and thought about it for my cooker. Can you just put a box on top of the firebox and let the heat radiate through? I figure if I heat large pots of water on my fire box there may be enough heat for a warming box.

I don't know.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

As Puppyboy said, if you cut a hole and allow the heat and smoke to enter the warming box it becomes a vertical smoker. Most of the warming boxes I have seen (not nearly as many as others on the forum I am sure) are sealed boxes that just use the radiant heat from the firebox to keep them warm.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 AM   #6
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brog315 View Post
I am in the process of building a 250 gallon reverse flow trailer smoker, with a warming box over the firebox. My goal is to also be able to use the warming box as a vertical smoker for small cooks, and to have the option to not have to heat up the entire smoke chamber.

Thank you,
Tim
he wants the warming box to be a vertical smoker...

tim i think Zak has a good idea of making the hole to the warming box the same size as the one to the smoke chamber so u don't need another baffle. i see no reason why this would not work. i know Phrasty was building one of these. maybe try pm'ing him
dealm9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
smokinQ2
On the road to being a farker

See if you can find a Lang 60 or 84. I know the 84 has a baffle/vent to warming box. I think it is actually fed from the 250 drum. Maybe another Brethren Lang owner can chime in. otherwise go with Zak's idea but doesn't need to be a huge hole due to the radiant heat.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
brog315
Knows what a fatty is.

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm afraid to do a hole the same size as the current baffle, becuase that seems like overkill and i'm afraid i wouldn't be able to get it sealed off when using the main smoker.

I think i'll just start with a hole and see how it goes. If there is no set area that it needs to be, then it should be hard to screw it up. Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Ah, now I see where you did say you wanted a vertical smoker. Why don't you just make a baffle of some sort? I agree that you will not need a hole the same size as you have going into the horizontal part. A baffle of some sort will allow you to control the temps a bit better as well as shutting off the vertical part if you only want to use the horizontal RF for cooking.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

I would use the same size exhaust on the vertical as the RF. It's easy enough to damper it. for the warming box / vertical smoker, A simple way to have it both ways would be to cut a hole and make a plug or cap to close it off. similar to the top of my fire box, I was debating doing the same.

this is a 6" opening, being directly under the chamber I think it would be more than enough. Hope I could help!

Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If it going to be use as a warming box you don't need a cutout it should keep the food warm enough
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
brog315
Knows what a fatty is.

[QUOTE=deathamphetamine;1675150]I was debating doing the same.
QUOTE]

That is an excellent idea; I think the circular pipe route. You say 'was' as in past tense?? Have you decided against having that option available on yours?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #13
smokeyokie
is one Smokin' Farker

I had a RF built almost identical to the one you are working on here are some pix maybe it will help. The warming box/vert smoker with baffle closed will stay 210-220 when running main smoker at 250 it doesnt take much when opening baffle to heat right on up to higher temps
[SIZE=3]maverick ET 732[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1 really, I mean really UGLY Drum Smoker[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]super fast RED and BLACK thermapens[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]_____________________[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Billy:flame:"Smoke on Brothers and Sisters"[/SIZE]

Last edited by smokeyokie; 09-13-2014 at 02:45 PM..
smokeyokie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2011, 11:04 PM   #14
deathamphetamine
is one Smokin' Farker

[quote=brog315;1675283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathamphetamine View Post
I was debating doing the same.
QUOTE]

That is an excellent idea; I think the circular pipe route. You say 'was' as in past tense?? Have you decided against having that option available on yours?
Just haven't decided if I need more space. My bbq collection since joining here has quadrupled