when to trim chicken

W

woodfolks

I going to take a run at thighs tomorrow
I was woundering when is the best time to trim to
a uniformed size. Before Brining or after right before
adding the rub

The best time to trim chicken is at home, before the contest!
I'd so much rather have it done in clean, controlled conditions than out in the field, in the heat.
100% agreed. It's bad enough that we actually have to deal with the dirty bird. We always trim chicken at home, it's just so much easier.

That being said, trim before you brine/marinate.

Doing my first comp this summer. Question about trimming at home....how are you repackaging?

After triming at home, use an extra large zip lock and place in an ice bath (melting ice water) and keep it there until time to brine. Then use the same bag and the same ice bath for the brine time. Small coolers work great and no chance of cross contamination with other items. You will have to add ice occassionally and drain some of the water off but even health departments applaude this type of procedure.

At a contest I trim my chicken anytime after my meat is inspected and before 11pm. There really is not real reason for it other than my time managment. I will trim and de-bone and put the meat in a plastic container with lid and stick it in the fridge. I don't brine it until the next morning early.

At a contest I trim my chicken anytime after my meat is inspected and before 11pm. There really is not real reason for it other than my time managment. I will trim and de-bone and put the meat in a plastic container with lid and stick it in the fridge. I don't brine it until the next morning early.
Is it legal to de-bone chicken at home also?

It helps to Foodsaver my trimmed thighs, set a little shape to them.

Back