store bought potato salad and how to fix

P

PorkQPine

I have two 100 plus gigs coming up right after the other and don't have the time or inclination to do potato salad from scratch. Anyone have a good suggestion for out of the container potato salad and how you might fix it to get rid of the industrial mayo taste?

Ralphs has pretty good potato salad and you don't need to doctor it at all.

There you go trying to cut corners. When will you learn.

Do not use Reser's brand---it can't be fixed.

Costco has a different brand that is not too bad----I doctor it with mild horseradish.

I actually have great success with the Reser's Redskin potato salad!

I add a lil "good" mayo, some green onion and my BBQ rub to kick it up.

I usually make fresh but some jobs just don't allow for it.

The Orval Kent products are pretty good as is. They have a loaded baked potato salad that just screams to be next to good que! I know in Huntsville / Nashville you can get it from Sysco.

canned diced jalapenos with some of the packing liquid stirred in or

this stuff

mu40.jpg

Never seen Reser's Red potato out here. The Costco stuff is pretty good. I like to add some finely diced (read food processor here for that much) onion and celery to freshen the taste. Also add some dry mustard for a little depth of flavor.

I found Red bliss at Wal-Mart, the deli gal said it was their best tasting so I bought a 1/2 pound and she was right as it was better than the others I have tried. My dist. carries Will's red bliss so I am guessing that it is the same stuff. I'll order two 10# buckets (min. size) and see what I can do to it to make it mine for the first gig and see how it goes. I plan on adding diced red onions, celery slices and a hint of mustard mixed in with chopped green onions, olives and sprinkled paprika on the top for 'pretty'.

I don't now the brand name but we use store bought but it is mustard based instead of mayo. Mayo is too riskey.

The eggs used in commercial mayo are pasteurized, pretty much eliminating the risk of salmonella, also the salt content helps to keep the bacteria down. These days it's not so much about the mayo it's about the other salad ingredients going off.

I add celery seeds to my store bought tater salad.
Best bet is added and mixed well overnight before serving it.

Do you have access to Walkers Egg Potato Salad? Very good.

Back