Thoughts on cooking back to back (W'loo and LaPorte)

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Those of you who cooked both W'loo and LaPorte (I know 3 Brethren who did both - Buster Dog, Rod and Shotgun) ... what did you think? Will you do them both again next year if they are scheduled the same weekend?

And those of you who just cooked W'loo (and plan on next year) ... will you also add LaPorte to your schedule? And others who cooked neither, if you hear enough positive responses, will you plan on competing in either/both next year?

We initially planned on both, but after bombing the contest prior to it, and given our set up/manpower (2 people) we rethought the plan and didn't think it was in our best interest. Assuming we have a toyhauler or something that makes set up and tear down an easier process, we'll likely do both.

Growing up in LaPorte, I'm courious to know what the two timing cooks thought. I hope to see this double-header continue for years to come.

Last edited:
I bet Rod liked it:mrgreen:

Congrats^2 Rod!

I wasn't sure when I signed up for it, but you know what. I liked it and would do it again.

Now saying that, there are some things that I did worry about.

1) I wanted to leave Waterloo as soon as possible after turn in of brisket. I was worried about not getting out. Thankfully N2Que switched spots with me and I was able to be at the end. In Ankeny the way they sandwiched people in I had to wait until everyone in front of me was out before I could leave. I explained that to the folks in Waterloo and they really didn't seem to care in my opinion.

2) I am glad I got into La Porte City when I did. I have a big trailer and it was just easier to get in and park as opposed to a few hours later with more people and cars, etc.

3) I trimmed everything except chicken before I got there to save time.

4) Appreciate Roy having cooks meeting at 8pm to allow time to get awards, dinner, etc.

Just my two cents. Both contest were pretty well run.

Loved it.

A great weekend. I got to meet some new competitors and see Rod and Sheri pull off the double. La Porte gets a few extra bonus points for the free ice. I wish all contests had it. Also, I didn't do well in chicken or ribs and the judges were correct in marking them as average. I think the judges do a great job (even though I usually cuss them after a contest).
db
Pork Patrol

Back