MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 AM   #46
Icekub
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
Yea I was disappointed that stretch was one of the 3 to represent KC. I think he made the show because he has been on food network a few times and also has a cooking show on the animal network I believe. Been nice to stick with the "common" joe and get some real bbq instead of a Hollywood want to be.
Not sure I would serve those burnt ends to my dog, either
Icekub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 AM   #47
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I must say that I have lost a lot of interest in the series this year. Seems like the authenticity of all aspects of the show have dropped a few rungs on the ladder in my opinion.

From the contestants that are being featured, to the fake, forced attitude that seems to be coming from Myron, and the contestants in the "pit" as they wait for the results. Not sure if I'll be watching another episode at this point. Especially after last nights episode. Stretch was so far out of his league and I don't understand why he was even there in the first place. Not even close to show casing the best of what KC has to offer!!!

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #48
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
I bet the guys at Primo are pissed that the dude made a mockery of their cooker. I'd be pissed.
Yeah, it looked like he was very experienced with that cooker. I guess he left the D plates at home. He should have just brought the pellet pooper and left everything else at home.

The other two were rock solid and knew what they were doing. They could have matched up with any cookers from this season.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #49
swinn
Full Fledged Farker

They might as well have had subway or goodsense on there cooking q. The guy runs a sandwich shop for hipsters. Both the other guys put out some good looking meat though

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 AM   #50
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I must say that I have lost a lot of interest in the series this year. Seems like the authenticity of all aspects of the show have dropped a few rungs on the ladder in my opinion.

From the contestants that are being featured, to the fake, forced attitude that seems to be coming from Myron, and the contestants in the "pit" as they wait for the results. Not sure if I'll be watching another episode at this point. Especially after last nights episode. Stretch was so far out of his league and I don't understand why he was even there in the first place. Not even close to show casing the best of what KC has to offer!!!
It is mind boggling how they can have a hipster with a pizza joint represent the Kansas City bbq restaurant scene on the show. With that being said, True Bud and Pellet Envy are at the top of the game and I don't think they could have picked two better competition teams to represent our area.

As a competitor, when you see one of these guys roll in with their Jambos you know you had better step up your game to have any chance, and even if you do they will probably beat you anyway. "Ahhhh, man! Is that True Bud? Don't these guys ever take a week off?" Was often uttered as we walked around a contest.

There may be teams as good as them out competing but none better.

Plus both of their ribs looked fantastic!

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #51
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Great showing by Rod and Tim in this one.

They gave a free class on how to cook championship brisket (point at least) and ribs.

This whole season has had a ton of cooking info compared to previous ones.
Of course, some demo's of what "not to do" as well

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #52
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
It is mind boggling how they can have a hipster with a pizza joint represent the Kansas City bbq restaurant scene on the show. With that being said, True Bud and Pellet Envy are at the top of the game and I don't think they could have picked two better competition teams to represent our area.

As a competitor, when you see one of these guys roll in with their Jambos you know you had better step up your game to have any chance, and even if you do they will probably beat you anyway. "Ahhhh, man! Is that True Bud? Don't these guys ever take a week off?" Was often uttered as we walked around a contest.

I don't disagree one bit in regards to the abilities of the other teams on this episode. It's just hard to watch some one get beat up on so bad that doesn't have a chance in a comp 'que setting. As good as the shows intentions might be to help Stretch out getting his restaurant's name on TV...he did himself no favors at this contest. And it seems to be a common thread on the show this year...2 accomplished teams and a restaurant team trying to get their name out there.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #53
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Congrats to Rod but with a name like Pellet Envy I would have asumed they would be cooking with a pellet cooker not that fine looking Jambo. I guess once you get on BBQ Pitmasters and win its time to market your rubs and sauces. Not bad advertising on national tv. http://www.eatbarbecue.com/

Old 01-07-2013, 11:11 AM   #54
BBQ PD
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=Militant83;2320042]Congrats to Rod but with a name like Pellet Envy I would have asumed they would be cooking with a pellet cooker not that fine looking Jambo. QUOTE]
I take their name as pellet guys are envious of their Jambo stick burner, but I could be wrong .

CBJ, 15' custom BBQ trailer with a Backwoods Competitor, Pitts & Spitts off-set, & Santa Maria grill. Ole Hickory CTO, 1 BGE, 2 Weber kettles and 1 Smokey Joe, BWS Chubby, Sonoma gasser, and a BBQ store full of everything BBQ.
BBQ PD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 11:18 AM   #55
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

[quote=BBQ PD;2320066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
Congrats to Rod but with a name like Pellet Envy I would have asumed they would be cooking with a pellet cooker not that fine looking Jambo. QUOTE]
I take their name as pellet guys are envious of their Jambo stick burner, but I could be wrong .

That could be either way he put out some good que

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM   #56
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post

Everyone is focusing on Stretch who has a long background in TV and not much BBQ experience, but come on it doesn't get much better than Truebud or Pellet Envy. If those are not representative of the best KCBS cooks then I don't know who is.

Think about this for a minute too, Rod is a very personable guy but the Truebud crew as well as they can cook are not known for being the life of the party. Stretch on the other hand makes for great TV. I mean take a look at who everyone is focusing on, it's not the 2 incredibly talented comp cooks. It's the outlandish dude with a huge personality. Remember it's TV, if you wanted to see real contest BBQ you should have come down to The Royal when they filmed it and looked at the other 500+ teams that were there.

BTW in case you didn't know, Stretch hosted a nice viewing party at Grinders last night with all 3 teams there. Sure looks like everyone had a good time and to quote Rod, "last night didn't suck".

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #57
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

[quote=BBQ PD;2320066]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
Congrats to Rod but with a name like Pellet Envy I would have asumed they would be cooking with a pellet cooker not that fine looking Jambo. QUOTE]
He used to, switched a few years ago and kept the name. Can you blame him about the timing of his product launch, Rod is a smart guy. This is his job, not his hobby and he has been making a very nice living at it for a number of years now.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #58
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

I took Rods class a while back - he explained that by the time he switched from pellets over to Jambo he had some name recognition equity and wanted to keep it. Can't say I blame him. We had a little time at the Royal to watch the filming when they got their coolers of meat and I'm glad to see PE won it.

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #59
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

So if we need some personality and talent to make the show, I'd like to see Pitmaster T and Bigmista tag team that joint?

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #60
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I thought this one was entertaining at least...Stretch was outta control! :D. Congrats Rod!

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote