let's see those new grill grate cooks

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
c'mon I know im not the only one who took advantage of the recent grillgrates factory sale. mine just showed up and I cant wait to break them in.

sale was for damaged or watermarked pieces. mine had minimal defects. very happy

to the market

:bolt:

LOL!

I just checked my tracking number and they should be here tomorrow, steak is already planned for later this week to give them a try.

It’s really heavy duty. They developed it for a restaurant chain and it’s built to last. Mine is a year old and is in grate shape. I have grill grates on my Weber and my PK so it sees a lot of use.

Mine's supposed to be delivered tomorrow.
My experience with FedEx has been less than stellar, so I'm not holding my breath.

I'm thinking some nice pork chops so the grill marks show up nicely against the white meat.

I spent part of my lunch watching utubes reviewing the grates. Everybody seems to like them!

I didn't but should have looked to see if they had any for the PBC. I have grill grates for my PK grills. I like them but don't use them all of the time.

Finally figured them out. Took a couple of cooks but I'm happy with them.

so what did you figure out? may as well shorten the curve for the rest of us

here is my inaugural run.

the set I bought is for the kettle but fits on my pellet cooker too. 5 inches of snow yesterday so instead of digging out the weber I did the first run on the pit boss.

I had to turn them sideways to fit but it was a good one. the ir thermometer showed fairly even temps on the entire surface of the grill grates. I left the sear plate closed and started at 350F. by the end of the cook I had the grill cranked all the way up to the max of 500F and things were fine. I picked up some discounted pork chops, a tuna steak and a lbs of raw shrimp for the trial run.

definitely ran best at full temp. I think I'll prefer to use the flat side on most cooks, it will be fun to see.

didn't really get any pics as I was focused on figuring these out. just a couple of mug shot quality photos

Sorry. I love a new toy as much as anybody. But what is the point of GG's? I use my gasser occasionally when doing steaks because it can reach 700 degrees easily. Sear marks aren't an issue. Any other reason? They sound hard to clean and are expensive. Not trying to be a jerk. I just don't get it...........

So you have to keep the sear plate closed to not damage the grill grates? I currently use those mesh ones for grilling on my Tailgater.

984840fde1f96bb81960b8800810d602.jpg

So you have to keep the sear plate closed to not damage the grill grates? I currently use those mesh ones for grilling on my Tailgater.

984840fde1f96bb81960b8800810d602.jpg

I was wondering this myself.

I dont think that is necessarily to leave closed but am not sure yet. grill grates do have a max temp of 1200. the manual states be careful after 800 lid temp. the pit boss probably can't get that hot even with the searzone open. I will say it did a good job turning the pellet cooker into a capable searer without it open so for cookers without that option it's a game changer.

ribeye are on sale so round 2 will be today

edit: just received an email reply from grill grates. they said I should be able to have at it with searzone open with no risk of damage

Last edited:
It renders an amazing bark.

Of course, it's the cook, not the cooker; the great griller, not the grill grates!

Attachments

• worst-served-burnt-ribs.jpg
    worst-served-burnt-ribs.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Sorry. I love a new toy as much as anybody. But what is the point of GG's? I use my gasser occasionally when doing steaks because it can reach 700 degrees easily. Sear marks aren't an issue. Any other reason? They sound hard to clean and are expensive. Not trying to be a jerk. I just don't get it...........

well I never like to speak to value. cost is relative to each individual. what's worth it is up to you. I did pick up a set big enough to cover a 22 kettle for $50 (spatula included) on sale so in my case it was a value. I've always wanted to try them but not at over $100. I've had them in my cart several times and could never pull the trigger.

as to why there are a few potential benefits. the first thing I noticed was how even the IR thermometer showed temps. the entire surface of the grill grates was within 50° despite only being heated by the small firepot on the pit boss. this increased my usable sear space considerably. another benefit is reduced flare ups. I am not a fan of grill lines myself. they can be flipped upside down and used on the flat side if desired. this creates a kind of griddle surface for cooking. I dont know about cleaning but I assume it's just a matter of building a proper season and your good.

I've cooked hundreds, if not thousands of steaks on traditional grates. do I need grill grates to cook a steak? of course not. can they improve grill performance? of course

at the end of the day this is also my hobby. buying various gadgets is fun and keeps things fresh. I would definitely recommend them to anyone with a pellet cooker or gasser that needs more umph.

Still waiting for mine as well. What type of blemish/flaw did it have??

not much honestly. small scratch on the spatula. I think the grates themselves may be discolored but once they are seasoned it'll be moot.

if you look at the pic in the OP the section on the right has a tiny knick in the rib on the far right. it's almost nothing and worth over half off

I like the GG for steak. But you are on the right track - flip over and do smash burgers. Big winner at our house

Mine come in today, but there's rain in the forecast for the next 5 or 6 days, so I'm not sure when I'll get to use them. I got mine as an additional way of cooking. It takes a lot less time for my Yoder to get up to temp than it does for me to get the charcoal grill running, so I see it as a way to get cooking faster when I'm in a hurry. Normally, I wouldn't have bought them, but the discount was to good to ignore.

so what did you figure out? may as well shorten the curve for the rest of us

here is my inaugural run.

the set I bought is for the kettle but fits on my pellet cooker too. 5 inches of snow yesterday so instead of digging out the weber I did the first run on the pit boss.

I had to turn them sideways to fit but it was a good one. the ir thermometer showed fairly even temps on the entire surface of the grill grates. I left the sear plate closed and started at 350F. by the end of the cook I had the grill cranked all the way up to the max of 500F and things were fine. I picked up some discounted pork chops, a tuna steak and a lbs of raw shrimp for the trial run.

definitely ran best at full temp. I think I'll prefer to use the flat side on most cooks, it will be fun to see.

didn't really get any pics as I was focused on figuring these out. just a couple of mug shot quality photos

The main thing I learned was just to cook on them like a regular grate. I kept over cooking stuff since I always did reverse sear on the regular grate. Once I quit over thinking and did a normal steak cook I got back to perfect medium rare.

Back