• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Temp Issues

Wyobbq

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi All
Long time lurker, first time poster. A few weeks ago, I was able to get an empty (unlined!) drum from a co worker and start my UDS build. Was able to complete within a day or so, and got to smoking the next day.
When I fired up the charcoal (I have a home-made chimney) and put it in the pan, I was having trouble getting the heat up to where I was aiming for 2 chickens. I created a windbreak and got the temp to settle in around 210 degrees, and went about my work. I let it chug along until the chickens reached 185 internal (just to be sure) and then sealed off the ports and let it choke out.

Given my successful run, I decided to try to smoke the thanksgiving turkey as well. The night before, I soaked some cherry wood chips, and started my chimney like I had previous times. All the coals were glowing orange when I put them in the center of my fire pit, and I went off to get the turkey prepped. When I got back, the drum had heated up to about 100. Getting worried, I set up a wind break, and let it ride for another 30 minutes, all 3 air vents open on the bottom. After this, the temp had gone up to about 125-150, and wasnt moving. I lit another chimney full of coals, stalled the rest of the family on the stuffing, etc and put more hot coals in a while later. Long story short, got it up to about 200 before I put the turkey in. I went to go get some whole chickens while the turkey was getting started (might as well, right?). When I got back from the store with the chickens, I was broken hearted to see that my smoker temp had plunged to ~90 degrees! I took the lid off pulled the fire pit, took it into the wind and it oranged up really quickly so I dropped it back in.

I figured that this would help, but after I let it ride on that for another 30 mins or so, I had to raise the white flag, and go to plan b and put the turkey in the oven. The chickens were still in the pit smoking away, and the temp didnt seem to change at all. After a while, I went out and cracked the lid (had been operating with my ~2" hole fully open) and within 15 min, the temp shot up to 325.

I obviously have an airflow issue of some kind, I'm just not sure where. My dad suggested that I put an exhaust pipe on the lid (right now it's just flat and covered with a piece of metal that slides), though I'm not sure that will work.

For reference, I've got 3 3/4" holes drilled about 2" off the bottom of the barrel for air intakes.

I thought that I was smart enough to do this on my own, but I'm not so I'd love some help!

Attachments

• 2012-11-17-09.20.44.jpg
    2012-11-17-09.20.44.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 2012-11-17-09.20.51.jpg
    2012-11-17-09.20.51.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 186
I'm a newbie at this but I think that expanding your intake holes to 1" would increase the amount of oxygen that your coals are receiving. You can always choke them down if your fire runs too hot. Some other variables to consider are 1. the height of your coals off the bottom of the drum; I would think that 3" - 4" would allow your intakes to scoot O2 both under and to the sides of your basket; 2. the quality of your charcoal; 3. your method for building your fire.

Best,

Steve

Hey Steve, thanks for the reply.

I'm using kingsford bricks for charcoal at the moment. There's about 2-2.5" (cant remember exactly) under my fire pit, and my starting method was the minion method for both burns.

There are two constants to look at here. Airflow and fuel. If your temp is not high enough, one or both of those constants is in short supply. Your air intake and exhaust numbers seem to be in line with a good setup. Can you post a photo of your charcoal basket? You might simply not have enough charcoal going to get the temp you need.

For this cook, I used a full bag of kingsford charcoal. I can get a picture of the basket when I get home, but as of right now it's partially filled with used charcoal.

It is one of two things 1) Your Charcoal has drawn damp and wont hold a fire or 2) Your basket is to close to the bottom of the drum not allowing enough air. it need to be at least 3" off the bottom.
So cooking chicken at 210 how did you like the rubbery skin? My UDS don't run below 250 & more in the 275-350 range. Poultry being in the upper end of that 325-350. Food for thought.

I'd be curious to know what your smoke flow looked like out of the top? A fire running that cool would be puking heavy white smoke. Raise your basket up a couple inches, and add a stack to create a better draft, and use fresh charcoal. I've tried using my leftovers from a previous smoke, and I noticed it doesn't burn as well!

Thanks guys. I'm going to do another smoke tomorrow so I'll try to raise the fire basket a bit. I've basically got a webber grate with expanded metal wrapped around it, and some ss bolts holding the metal together and holding the grate off the ground. Should be an easy fix.
As for the stack, i'm not exactly sure how to do that. I didnt have a hole saw, so I used an expanded drill bit for my holes at the bottom, and use a recip saw for the one on top (no bung). The hole got kind of sideways and isnt exactly a circle, so any ideas there? Perhaps just seal this hole completely and make a new one?

blu - the chicken skin wasnt rubbery at all, it was fairly firm. Attached some pr0n

Attachments

• 2012-11-18-16.14.30.jpg
    2012-11-18-16.14.30.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 138
In my uds, I prefer to use lump charcoal as it lights faster and burns hotter. This allows me to close down 2 of my 3 one inch intakes, and leave the 2 inch stack wide open. My uds usually cruises at about 250 with the ball valve open about 3/4 open. :decision:

If you are set on using charcoal left over from a previous cook and adding new to fill the basket. Put the new charcoal on the bottom, old charcoal on the top with the exception of the ones you are lighting in the chimney.

What are you using as a temp gauge? Those analog ones are usually WAY off.

When you start your UDS, do you open all of your intakes? If not, you should. Then AS SOON AS YOU REACH YOUR DESIRED TEMP, cap off all but one of your intakes. For me in our current ambient weather pattern, that puts my UDS right around 220. If I want to run higher, I open up another intake and gate down the ball valve.

You will find that the more you cook with your UDS the more stable the temps will be.

I would check your gauge first before changing anything

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

My first post haha. If you put a full weber chimney of lit kingsford coals, you will be at 350 or so initially. If not your thermometer is off. I like lump charcoal. It seems to be more consistent and quicker to change from my adjustments. I have three 3/4" intakes also. I started using Cowboy lump a year ago and like it. Used blue bag for thirty years and again the last month or so. Blue bag is tough on controlling temps compared to the lump. It seems to be starving for oxygen then eventually gets really hot. You should be able to run 250 temp with one hole about 3/4 open. 400 to 500F with all three open.

I have never,... ever ,had a problem maintaining a constant temp in any of my UDS's

Attachments

• 100_1688.jpg
    100_1688.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 64
Alright, thanks for all the tips guys, I did a lot of what was recommended earlier in the thread on saturday, and still it took quite a while and I never really got over 210 or so while smoking 3 chickens.

I didnt get a chance to add a stack yet (because I messed up cutting the hole I have to figure out how to do it), but I did raise my basket about 1.5" off of where it was, and it's sitting ~4" off the bottom of the drum now.
I used fresh charcoal as well. I'm not dead set on re-using old briques, I just happened to last time because they were all still pretty big - I think they were part of the problem.

This time I lit the fresh kingsford charcoal in the chimney (I have a homemade one out of an old coffee can), went to the store to pick up the chickens, and when I came back all the coals in the chimney were orange. I put them into the center of my basket, put the basket in the UDS and went inside to spatch the chickens and spice them. When I came back out, the temp was around 150, so I let it continue to build to about 175 before I put the chickens on. This is where I think Ive been going wrong. How long do I need to wait between when I put the chimney fired coals on and when I can put my food on the grill? I usually give it an hour or so, but is that not enough time, or is it too much?

I tossed the chickens on at about 175, and let them go for a bit over 2 hours - every one loved them! I didnt however, have the lid fully on during the smoking, I left it cracked a small amount because of what I had learned from the turkey debacle. There wasnt much of the lid open, but it did seem to get the temp up. I was using a few mesquite chips, and 4 apple chunks.

Here are some pictures of my current exhaust. It was supposed to be about 2" dia, but since I messed up the cut, It's a bit bigger than that. The other two are of my charcoal basket.

I do have an analog thermometer that I bought from lowes. How would I go about testing that for accuracy, use the oven?

Attachments

• 2012-12-03-12.47.00.jpg
    2012-12-03-12.47.00.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012-12-03-12.47.13.jpg
    2012-12-03-12.47.13.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012-12-03-12.48.18.jpg
    2012-12-03-12.48.18.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 2012-12-03-12.48.10.jpg
    2012-12-03-12.48.10.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
1st, welcome to the zoo....

2nd, welcome to the drum corp....

3rd, I think you answered your own quesiton...

Hi All

I figured that this would help, but after I let it ride on that for another 30 mins or so, I had to raise the white flag, and go to plan b and put the turkey in the oven. The chickens were still in the pit smoking away, and the temp didnt seem to change at all. After a while, I went out and cracked the lid (had been operating with my ~2" hole fully open) and within 15 min, the temp shot up to 325.

I obviously have an airflow issue of some kind, I'm just not sure where. My dad suggested that I put an exhaust pipe on the lid (right now it's just flat and covered with a piece of metal that slides), though I'm not sure that will work.
/QUOTE]

After you opened the lid, the temp went up... tells me you have an air flow issue. I have both of my drums with 3 3/4" inlets and have no issue with temp control.... I use the lids off of Weber kettles to give my room for two cooking racks, and usually only crack the exhaust on the lids so they are abt 1/8 of the way open, but of course I am using an Ique110 temp controller too. But before those, I would open the vent all the way open, then control temps with the inlet valves. I use RO lump and find that I can control temps a lot easier with the lump as well. Give a good grade of lump a try as well.

Bill

BTW, my charcoal basket is abt 2 1/2 to 3" off the bottom of the drum.... I will dump in abt 7 lbs of lump, light it with a weed burner, and it will burn for abt 12-16 hrs with no problem and have lump left over after closing down the inlets and vent.

Back