MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #76
kevine
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Be sure to pack the lump tightly, so there is very little air space between pieces. Pack the wood chunks within the lump in the same manner, like jigsaw puzzle. Start with fewer fully lit coals, maybe 8-10. Control oxy with the intake, you might have to close a single intake down to 1/4, but unless there are other oxy leaks, this should work well.

I've never had issues controlling temps with lump in a UDS. The only explanation I can think of is I cooked a freaking lot of food in mine last summer, and it was sealed up like a freaking tank. No air leaks anywhere because of all the BBQ goo built up everywhere.

Right now, I have to put the UDS in the sun just to get the lid off, because all the BBQ gunk is keeping lid from releasing from drum. It's freaking tight!
Thanks. I did only have about 10 pieces of lit lump to start with, but you're right, it wasn't packed. I just poured a bunch in with a couple chunks of apple. Unfortunately, I was out of briqs. I'm going to stick with briqs and maybe use lit lump to get the minion method going faster.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM   #77
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

I can only speak of my first hand experience, but until I used foil to seal the air leaking around my lid, I could not get it to hold a steady temp. Shutting everything down & plugging the exhaust, it would still burn all but a handful of charcoal in the basket. Once I tried the foil around the drum lip, I was able to stablize temps & snuff out the fire when closing it up. I have since ran a bead of high temp silicone around the lid edge & have even better control.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #78
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

The more big cooks you do on it, the better it'll get sealed up. Also, there is nothing wrong with cooking @275, you just get done quicker and can spend that time doing other things, or sleeping.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #79
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

There are lots of Brethren in Texas. You might have luck if you post with your location in the title asking for help, you might be able to arrange a meet up and some hands on help. Austin is a bit of a drive, but I know you could get help there. Might be easier.

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #80
Mo-Dave

Lets not forget putting on cold meat will drop your temps for awhile so don't go opening up the vents to much, let it settle out but try to catch it on the way up as mentioned.

To much fuel, leaks down low have been mentioned but I have to disagree with to much air from the top not affecting anything. For sure if you take your lid off for long its going to flare up so no mopping, spraying, peeking until you are getting close to what should be the finish line. If you do need to open it up be quick about it and have everything you need at hand and never go anywhere like to the store or work unless you know someone that can handle it is home watching it. Make small adjustments with a good amount of time between them. I have just one 2in ball valve on mine and most of the time its is only open about 1/4 to 1 inch except when firing it up or shutting it down.

Get your intakes sealed good, start with less fuel, do a boil test on your gauges both digital and analog. If the temp starts dropping after being in the cook for a time, grab the top lid handle firmly and give the barrel a good shake settling out some ash in the basket but do not adjust at this time because it should start to raise the temp soon after. Lastly if you do think you have major leaks up top then it should be ok to close down the top exhaust vent a little to compensate for the air leaks. Good luck
Dave

Old 04-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #81
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
You haven't mastered temp control in a UDS yet.
Well, thanks for that input...

To be quite honest, I don't monitor any temp in my UDS, nor do I look at the thermometer I have or actually use my fridge magnets. I run wide open and let it rip.

But that's not something I'd advise the OP with.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #82
El Ropo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Well, thanks for that input...

To be quite honest, I don't monitor any temp in my UDS, nor do I look at the thermometer I have or actually use my fridge magnets. I run wide open and let it rip.

But that's not something I'd advise the OP with.
Yeah, running wide open is how this thread got started. Wide open with lump = at least two frustrated BBQ Brethren!

Lets not forget the melted PVC exhaust too.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #83
bobsuosso
Full Fledged Farker

Quite the nice thread, alot of good info, once again great job by the brethren!
bobsuosso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #84
Dr. Endo
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Guys, I have cooked twice since we last spoke. I just wanted to update you guys to the good news that we have it fairly figured out. Temperature is controlled now and I have successfully cooked a boston butt to make pulled pork, and a rack and a half of baby back ribs. Everything cooked wonderfully. Now I just need to learn to how to season things better and I think I'll be a neighborhood hit. Thanks so much guys. I really have enjoyed my membership in the BBQ brethren.
Dr. Endo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #85
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Wooohooo, now your hooked on the UDS. Another barrel head is born....
[FONT=Arial][B]Future Smoker [/B][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!![/FONT]

[SIZE=2]Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985 [/SIZE]
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #86
Kit_B
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Endo View Post
Guys, I have cooked twice since we last spoke. I just wanted to update you guys to the good news that we have it fairly figured out. Temperature is controlled now and I have successfully cooked a boston butt to make pulled pork, and a rack and a half of baby back ribs. Everything cooked wonderfully. Now I just need to learn to how to season things better and I think I'll be a neighborhood hit. Thanks so much guys. I really have enjoyed my membership in the BBQ brethren.
So...What ended up being the items that were causing your pain?

Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #87
N8man
Babbling Farker

OutStanding!!!!

Quote:

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #88
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Great News!!

pwa

Quote:
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #89
El Ropo

Quote:
I have to disagree with to much air from the top not affecting anything
I agree with this. Try purposely cracking your lid a tad, closing all intakes. Why is it that the temps don't drop and the fire doesn't snuff out?

Because the coals are getting oxy from the crack in the lid.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #90
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker

I like lump, but it wants to smoke a little hotter. That's OK with me.
Use the Minion Method. It keeps you from burning up all your charcoal too fast. My basket is a 15" grill grate with 12" sides welded on. A nearly full basket will burn 12-14 hours if I start the fire with about 10 coals...

My UDS has (4) 3/4" intakes and (6) 3/4" exhaust holes. I have one intake with a valve for easier temperature control. I leave all 6 exhaust holes on the top open until I'm ready to snuff out the fire... Then I drop 6 large bolts into the holes and close the intakes completely. My set up runs a little hotter than some like, but I'm comfortable smoking at 250° to 300°. Just watch the meat. When I smoke Chicken I leave 2 intakes open and my temp will climb and hold between 325° and 350°.

Bottom line is everyone's UDS is a little different and you have to learn how to operate it to your satisfaction... Watch your Temps and you will make peace with your UDS.
Once you learn your UDS you will find it to be very forgiving and easy to smoke with...

Last edited by Ole Man Dan; 05-03-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: format
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problems, Temperature Control, uds