MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2004, 03:55 PM   #1
BrooklynQ
Banned

Default Brisket for slicing.

Gentlemen and ladies;

A local deli man has asked me to provide him with BBQ brisket to sell. He wants to be able to slice it for sandwiches, on an slicer, just like he'd slice corned beef (brisket) or pastramimi (also brisket.) He wants to slice it THIN. He doesn't slice anything by hand, and doing so would seriously slow down his lunch crowd turnover.

So far all my attempts at cooking brisket to that consistency have failed. My meat just doens't hold up when sliced that thin. If I can get it thin enough, it's not as tender as I want. If it's tender, it falls apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 04:10 PM   #2
hornbri
On the road to being a farker

impossible i say! you cannot have thin and moist. It is a choice you have to make.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Not unless he is willing to use a microwave. For a thin slice AND tender meat I usual slice it straight out of a very cold fridge. I'm looking forward to an answer that only a brother would have though.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Cook to 185 internal and wrap in foil place in a dry cooler for couple of hours. Cool then deliver.
If you take the internal much higher it will tough to get consistant slices. It will be tender.

For what he wants to do chuck roll or clod would be a better choice, less shrinkage during the cook also.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 04:35 PM   #5
BrooklynQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
For what he wants to do chuck roll or clod would be a better choice, less shrinkage during the cook also.
I've never used them - would they have the same taste? be just as tender?

Old 12-22-2004, 05:11 PM   #6
BigBelly
is one Smokin' Farker

Congratulations Brooklyn!

Family BBQ and Catering
~: Proud Bandera Owner :~
BigBelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 05:42 PM   #7
MeatHead2
Got Wood.

Brooklyn, sounds like you got a good gig, if you can make him happy.

Thin slices provide more surface area of the meat and therfore provides more flavor per sandwhich. Not to mention that the thinner slicer are inherently more tender. If the thin slices are falling apart, I would have to say that the brisket is slightly overcooked. I would suggest that you cut back on the cook time just a little and that should help firm up the slices. You obviously want a tender brisket, but even thin slices should hold together. This will make for some very yummy sliced brisket sammies.
MeatHead2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2004, 07:07 PM   #8
brdbbq
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
what he wants to do chuck roll or clod would be a better choice
What's a clod ??

Old 12-22-2004, 07:10 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Not really an answer, but a question.

Would slicing "on a bias" or even "with the grain" help?
Or, would "with the grain" be too hard to eat, even if it was super thin?

Just wondering

TIM

Old 12-22-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Chuck clod and roll are large front shoulder cuts. In Texas clod is the beef served in place of brisket in a lot of BBQ joints. You can take roll or clod off at 180 internal ans slice across the grain should work real well with great beef flavor. The shrinkage is 25 to 30% instead of 50% plus with brisket. Clod and roll is the beef of choice for my beef when vending.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles

Old 12-23-2004, 07:23 AM   #11
BrooklynQ
Banned

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
Clod and roll is the beef of choice for my beef when vending.
What do you market that as? Can you still call it brisket? I don't think a clod sammich would cut it in Brooklyn. BBQ Brisket is exotic enough.

Old 12-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #12
bittertruth
is one Smokin' Farker

Location: High Point, NC. Deep in the heart of the Cradle of Que!

I don't understand why it has to be so thin. When i make a brisket samich i use a couple of slices about 5/16 in. thick on a crusty sandwich roll. slather BBQ sauce(home made) on it and it's to die for. Most commercial slicers will slice that thick.
"The free man owns himself. He can damage himself with either eating or drinking; he can ruin himself with gambling. If he does he is certainly a damn fool, and he might possibly be a damned soul; but if he may not, he is not a free man any more than a dog." G. K. Chesterton

New Braunfels Bandera smoker
Weber Kettle
bittertruth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 09:13 AM   #13
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i think the thinness of the slices will compensate for a little less ttender if you dont cook it to the poiint we are accustomed. If you bring it to 180-185 and cooler it for a bit it should slice well. In our world, 1/4 or thicker slices is the normal case and the brisket is fall apart tender, but that aint the deli world case they need firmness. With thin slices, it will still be tender enough to eat and have the BBQ flavor.

Just make him promise not to serve thick 1/4 inch slices cause then your reputation goes down the tubes.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2004, 09:44 AM   #14
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

Robert they would sale as BBQ Beef.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles

Old 12-23-2004, 10:15 AM   #15
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually, instead of a clod (which is a confusing piece of meat to seperate into it's parts) try an inside round - this is used, often, as the roast been sliced on cafeteria lines. They are lean so you would not want to overcook them -- however, taking them to say 145 or so (check with the deli to see how rare he wants it) - most of the inside rounds I used to cook were around 17-20 pounds and unlike brisket they are not thin, flat pieces of meat.

The clod would work, too, but I'd break it down into the seperate pieces - otherwise you are looking a a truly large piece of meat. Now, my experience was with IBP primal cuts ordered in by the case -- this is how you'll want to get your orders -- check with SYSCO, GFS, USFoods, or other wholesalers for case lots -- Sam's or Costco would work, too.

Good luck. Just think of all the trials you'll need to run!! :D Hope your family and friends like bbq beef, a lot.

Oh yeah, the Bandera probably won't be big enough for these cuts.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote