• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Curry Tutorial#1

Nice one Bucc! :grin:

Also, we can cook tikka, shashlik, sheek kebabs and kofte on the grill....I usually throw a few chicken breasts on the grill then vac. pack purely for using in curries.

some kind of Indo/Chinese I think...

Man, that is one weird curry recipe, seeing the soy sauce and S&B, that has to be Hawaiian in origin.

Actually I got this recipe from a Dutch Lady who spent a lot of time in Indonesia (husband worked for Shell there..) - she said her cook there made this frequently - she had a handwritten piece of paper with the ingredients..

if you like chicken liver - try it - it's very tasty with some rice !!

Interesting, most folks who are really into authentic curries laugh at S&B, although, I use it, as it is what I got used to for Japanese Chicken Curry. Most of the Thai, Indonesian and Indian cooks I have talked with find it too sweet and the flavor far too mild. Still, I can see where I would like it, except I don't care for chicken livers normally.

Fantastic tutorial, Bucc! You did yourself proud, and I'm so happy you decided to go for it! :clap:

:clap2: What an awesome tutorial, bucc!!

If I may add one small tip - when you add the spices to the tomato onion mix, stir things around until you see the oil separate a little from the paste. Hard to describe but you will notice the change - from being somewhat homogenous, you will see the oil just ooze a bit from the paste if you stop stirring briefly. For some reason, I love the taste of turmeric, so most of my dishes have 1/2-3/4 tsp in them, thrown in with the other spices. It must be sauteed well, or else you can taste the raw turmeric.

And there are ways to cheat!! :grin: When I'm done with making the sauce and about to add the meat, I sometimes move everything over to the crockpot :shocked: It works well for that part of the cook. Also, in India every household has at least 1 pressure cooker which is commonly used to make dal, beans, certain types of rice, and many meat dishes.

Thanks for posting this!

Anyone have an idea where to get the curry leaves? Is there a subsitute?
There is no substitute...but when you find them, buy up big and freeze packs of them so you have them on hand!:idea:
The smell and taste is startling to unfamiliar palates and TFO liked it halfway through her first curry decades ago but when I first came across them it took me 3 or 4 meals before I was into them.
Unique flavor

:clap2: What an awesome tutorial, bucc!!

If I may add one small tip - when you add the spices to the tomato onion mix, stir things around until you see the oil separate a little from the paste. Hard to describe but you will notice the change - from being somewhat homogenous, you will see the oil just ooze a bit from the paste if you stop stirring briefly. For some reason, I love the taste of turmeric, so most of my dishes have 1/2-3/4 tsp in them, thrown in with the other spices. It must be sauteed well, or else you can taste the raw turmeric.

And there are ways to cheat!! :grin: When I'm done with making the sauce and about to add the meat, I sometimes move everything over to the crockpot :shocked: It works well for that part of the cook. Also, in India every household has at least 1 pressure cooker which is commonly used to make dal, beans, certain types of rice, and many meat dishes.

Thanks for posting this!
That advice is sound for a paste frying step but isn't going to happen here, caliking.
The masala will not absorb the oil or release it because of the liquid volume .
The plan I have for the following curries this step will be essential, but not for this one.
If these new curry makers stand watching and waiting for that to happen the liquid will reduce too much and won't have the volume to support the meat cooking process, you see?

Slow cookers like the crock pot do work fine, but I never use them because the aroma of the curry is torture!:biggrin1:
One point I didn't mention....just like some other foods like chili, a curry will enhance if left a day before eating.
I know, that requires the self discipline of a superman, and I can't do it...but make enough so that you have lots for the following day, you will be so happy you did!
:thumb:

Killer tutorial there bucc! Never had a curry in my life, that is going to change! Love that bone in chop on that lamb.

Psssstttt...some of the best curry I ever had was in Sydney. Some of the best of other things I ever had was also in Sydney...but that's a different conversation altogether!!!

Thanks Bucc, one of the first meals my (future) wife made me nearly 20 years ago was Indian food. She was trained by an Indian chef. I admit it was the first Indian food I ever liked, and that is because she made it right. I've watched her make curries I don't know how many times since then, but from this tutorial, I think you were taught by the same person. :thumb:

Thank you for that fine tutorial. You did a good job of explaining the process very clearly so even I think I could do this. And I will. Thanks again for sharing.

Bravo, Bucc, Bravo. Really appreciate the attention to detail you put into this.

One thing I wanted to add that might be helpful for people is once all the ingredients are together, instead of slow simmering on the stove, is to put the curry in a cast iron or enameled iron pot and let it slow cook in the oven at about 300-325 for a few hours. First hour so of the cook can be covered, while the last hour should be uncovered to allow the mixture to thicken. We do this all the time with the various chilis we make to crate a nice slow gentle heat that will not burn the spices.

So where's my farking Vindaloo? :confused:

:mrgreen:

Holy fark...found curry leaves but they are dried...how do i adjust recipe using dried?
If they are quite green then use 10% more, but if they are a light green use 20% more!
If you buy fresh and wish to keep them, put dry leaves in the microwave in a single layer and microwave at 80% for 1 and a half minutes before sealing and freezing for 3 months max.
:thumb:

Bravo, Bucc, Bravo. Really appreciate the attention to detail you put into this.

One thing I wanted to add that might be helpful for people is once all the ingredients are together, instead of slow simmering on the stove, is to put the curry in a cast iron or enameled iron pot and let it slow cook in the oven at about 300-325 for a few hours. First hour so of the cook can be covered, while the last hour should be uncovered to allow the mixture to thicken. We do this all the time with the various chilis we make to crate a nice slow gentle heat that will not burn the spices.

So where's my farking Vindaloo? :confused:

:mrgreen:
Patience, bro.:biggrin1:
I'm trying to decide what to do next, and am considering going wide with a Trinidadian Goat curry or a South East Asian curry.
Both are good choices because they teach another very different style.
I will do a vindaloo for you at some point ...but I feel pretty sure you already have it down, no?:rolleyes:

Back