First real cook on the Lang (Superbowl Pron)

nrok2118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Had my first real experience with my Lang 84. All I can say is its a lot more involved than i thought. Granted, it was highs in the 40s and I was running 275-325, but that thing EATS wood! Started at 5:30am running cherry all day. Found out the wood wasnt all seasoned fully, I had a bunch that hissed and "melted" down instead of burning hot, which required even more attention. Between that and all the other prep work (Im a one man team) I am EXHAUSTED today, but everyone appreciated it.

Sucks it was so involving, I didnt get pictures until we started eating, but I made a brisket, two pork butts, 4 racks st louis ribs, apple beans, about 50 moink balls and 25 pork shooters (wish I made more but they took too much prep when at a hectic time, they were VERY well received).

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

Also, I finally bought a foodsaver....good thing too! Ending up with a lot less people than planned for

IMG_0260.jpg

That's a lot of food and especially prep work for one person. Hopefully everyone appreciated your efforts. I haven't heard about pork shooters though. What are they?

NRok, thanks for posting this. I feel your pain, brother. I did a similar cook this weekend (alone) for about 14 people. 4 different types of meats, 2 sides, and everything that goes with it. I was wore slap OUT.

Yes, I can see that 84 eating some wood. I just got my Lang 60D and that firebox can get hungry. Are you a caterer? Did you really need the 84 or would the 60 had been sufficient?

Thanks again for posting.

Good photos. Sounds like you did put in a day.
Congratulations.

Did you make a photo of the Lang while you were smoking?
I love the photos of 'The thin Blue'... Action photos... :wink:

That's a lot of food and especially prep work for one person. Hopefully everyone appreciated your efforts. I haven't heard about pork shooters though. What are they?

What about some info.and a recipe for the pork shooters?

So looking for a link I realized they're "shots", not shooters...so you might know what they are already. Either way, they're delicious. Kielbasa base with bacon, cream cheese, and brown sugar. When I was making them I started thinking they may not be worth all the trouble but I was WRONG! They were gone in about 30 seconds, I almost didn't get to try one. Here's a link to what inspired me:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124220

And another

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124486

Yes, I can see that 84 eating some wood. I just got my Lang 60D and that firebox can get hungry. Are you a caterer? Did you really need the 84 or would the 60 had been sufficient?

Thanks again for posting.

I am not a caterer, but buying this rig will keep the option/idea open down the road (Person selling had a catering business and gave me tons of gear: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121914). I was looking for a trailer unit, preferably a 60D, but when I came across this one I couldn't turn it down. Plus its nice to have SPACE, and not always cram things together.

Good photos. Sounds like you did put in a day.
Congratulations.

Did you make a photo of the Lang while you were smoking?
I love the photos of 'The thin Blue'... Action photos... :wink:

No, I should have though. Im glad I read a lot on fire management beforehand because I ran most of day not even getting TBS, it was pure heat. I ran vents open throwing in small preheated sticks A LOT.

What sucks is I wanted to add a tighter expanded metal mesh to the firebox grate but I forgot to cut it and didnt have any tools, so since I elevated my original grate (to get better air flow) the coals just would drop down and I couldn't get a nice base going (why I think it needed a lot of attention)

Man, that's a nice setup there. Chafing dishes and everything. Awesome job for the first real smoke. :clap2:

Nrok, welcome to my nightmare! :becky: I do alot of 1 man cooks (basically every weekend). Yesterday I did 6 racks of BB's, a 6 lb flat cut brisket, an 8# pork butt, a fattie, a bacon wrapped meatloaf (an XL fattie pretty much), 2 london broils and some seaffod skewers...for 2 parties.. DAMN.... I was beat! I cook in a 120 gal RF unit and I tend my fire approx. every 45 minutes. It is alot of work, but it sure is gratifying to see everybody fat and happy!

Good luck with future cooks and enjoy your rig!!

And BTW..... GREAT looking spread!! :clap2: :thumb:

Some advice......cherry burns fast and you will use alot.....I use hickory and red oak for heat and cherry for flavor using about 4/5 logs per cook and place it on top of fire made of hickory or oak. I have a 84 and LOVE it

I'm going to try some pork shots next time. I followed the links and those look great.

Some advice......cherry burns fast and you will use alot.....I use hickory and red oak for heat and cherry for flavor using about 4/5 logs per cook and place it on top of fire made of hickory or oak. I have a 84 and LOVE it

What sucks is I originally bought a cord of red oak, but appears to be fresh split, I fell for the standing dead seasoning. So eventually that will be used as base wood, but until than I cant afford buying even more wood. Im hoping with the added mesh to the firebox grate I can get a better base of coals and be able to burn larger sticks of the cherry.

Back