insulating UDS for cold weather cook

chomper's bbq

Full Fledged Farker
I've noticed that as the temp drops the UDS takes longer to cook my butts and brisket. I have a contest coming up in a week and I thought about wrapping my cookers with a water heater insulation wrap like Harry Soo does for his WSM on the show BBQ pitmasters. I also saw at lowes a silver reflective insulation which is less bulky and it looks nicer with my UDS (who cares). Has anyone had experience and or better ideas with this approach. :mad2:

I did a little research on this a few months ago. All things considered foil backed ceramic insulation won out. I have used this around the fire box on the big smoker and I'm very pleased with it.

you can always go with the welder's blanket from harbor freight under $20. Just cut a hole for intake and one for exhaust. The problem I have with using puffy fiberglass insulation blankets is the glass dust. We've all gotten itchy from the stuff. Why would you want that anywhere near your food?

If wind is the problem, build a simple wind break with some plywood and a couple hinges. If the welder's blanket isnt enough insulation combine it with a cotton mover's blanket.

Good luck and maybe youll find a better way.

Insulation?

Insulation??

You don't need no steenkin' insulation!!

100_1351.jpg

100_1353.jpg

100_1354.jpg

Home depot- Reflectix. I put a double layer on my flat lid and I often have snow sitting on it when I'm cooking.

I agree with swamprb, no insulation needed but you may need to add a little more fuel then you usually do. By all means insulate it if you think it will help.
Dave

last winter provided lots of snow for western MA. i just dug the drum out, fired it up and cooked. used a bit more fuel (not much more) but held steady at 230-250 even when it was near 0F. cold and wind could make me want an insulating blanket or wind break though....

I started using a welding blanket last year after doing a butt in 6* weather. My UDS worked, but used a LOT of charcoal. I actually ran out of charcoal. Once I wrapped the harbor freight welding blanket around, it used charcoal like it was 80* outside. I think it is helpful to have.

Others have suggested the water heater blanket. I'm sure it works, I just don't have experience with it. But, my welding blanket can get wet or whatever.

Insulation?

Insulation??

You don't need no steenkin' insulation!!

100_1351.jpg

100_1353.jpg

100_1354.jpg

That's how I roll in Colorado. I like cooking in the winter time because The temps stay steady. I may have to use a bit more fuel and a bit more time to reach cook temps but never needed insulation.

Back