MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Can dogs eat pork shoulder bones?

I don't have a dog but I have a nice bone from the shoulder and I was gonna give it to my buddy who has a boxer. They are leaving soon.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
TheKomoman
Got Wood.

Always have heard beef bones only. Chicken and pork bones too likely to splinter.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't know - I've heard different answers, and I think there may be a difference of whether or not it's been cooked, but I really don't know. I will say this though - I'm thinking of saving up shoulder bones to make pork stock with. I made stock from the bones of a whole hog cook and it worked great for making sausage, beans, jambalaya etc.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 PM   #4
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

You don't want to give dogs (especially large ones) cooked bones as they are likely to splinter. You want to only give them raw bones.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
JazzyBadger

Yeah I go the route GTR is taking with my pork shoulder bones. Ham bones too. I just use stock rather than a soup bone and some water. In the end every pork bone that we finished gnawing on gets thrown into a freezer bag, and once that bag is full I just cook it all down into stock. I used to store it all in two cup portions in the deep freezer, but I've started to can them now. Leaves more space in the freezer.

My grandfather always gave pork bones to the dogs, but never chicken bones unless they were raw. Pork and beef bones he said were good, and they never had an issue. Every dog that old codger had lived until they were 15 years old at least it seemed. Unless they were bitten by a snake or something.

Old 03-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
grantw
is One Chatty Farker

my bull dog just knawed back a shoulder bone, if those dogs are ok im sure all others will be.
grantw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #7
Garrett
Babbling Farker

I have a Golden Retreiver and a mutt. Everytime I cook Boston butts they get the blade bones after being cooked. They also get all the rib bones after we are finished with them. The mutt dog is 14 yrs old and the retreiver is 2 and never had a problem. With that being said, I do not give them cooked chicken bones because I was told by the Vet to only give them raw chicken bones.

Another thought, at every pet store and every grocery store I've been in, they sell smoked bones(mostly beef) for dogs.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #8
JazzyBadger

Yep okay, I just called my cousin who is a Veterinarian over in Austin, and he says he feeds his dogs smoked pork and beef bones all the time. He said the issue is whenever you're braising in a lot of liquid or boiling them. If they're being cooked down in a crock pot, or you made stock from them that's a no go. If they're just smoked or oven roasted, they're okay.

He said that chicken bones are a no go if they're cooked in any way, shape, or form.
Take it for what it's worth, in my COMPLETELY unbiased opinion () he knows his chit. Makes enough damn money from all those critters anyway.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
IamMadMan

Our German Sheppard has eaten pork butt bones for many years.

I never saw the bones splinter or break, they just seem to slowly disappear.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Bludawg

The only bones my girl don't get are chicken bones even though she has ate a few chickens
I didn't kill no chicken it was that dam cat

Old 03-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
Shorng
Found some matches.

I gave my dog a blade bone one time. He devoured it. Now he gets excited when I start the smoker because he knows what's coming.
Shorng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

When I started BBQing, I would give the blade bones and rib bones to a jack russell terrier. He would literally eat them like they were jerky. He has some strong jaws and teeth lol. The issue came a few hours later when he would get sick and puke up all the bone pieces. So I stopped feeding them to him. Just an occasional beef rib bone, and that wasn't very often. He would gnaw on a beef bone without "inhaling" it.

So I'd say it depends on the dog.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #13
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Pig bones won't hurt them but usually cause digestion issues. I stopped feeding my dogs shoulder blades and ribs after having to let them outside several times at night. Never chicken bones as they create a web of splinters and could suffocate your dog. Beef bones are best as they are hard as a rock and take time to chew and digest.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

I don't. My guy has a very powerful set of chompers and nearly any bone I give him will chip off or splinter, and rather than put him in danger and have a huge vet bill I just don't go there. He gets Nylabones instead, which are safe and made for dogs.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
The only bones my girl don't get are chicken bones even though she has ate a few chickens
I didn't kill no chicken it was that dam cat
I believe her! The cat was obviously rabid too. Otherwise it would've never tried with a bird that large and that potentially dangerous.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote