MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
busmania
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt
Default Yoder pellet or other?

I might sell my soul to the devil. I have a yoder wichita which I no longer use (but do love) because I like my home made offset much better. Lately I’ve been yearning for a set it and forget it set up and thinking of buying a pellet. I have a big green egg and a Weber Smokey mountain but honestly I don’t love the food off of charcoal smokers. So, I’ve been thinking of going yoder pellet as I read nothing but good things and like the brand. However, I dont really like my local dealer (they are pompous and dont really seem to be interested in helping every time I go in) so I got to thinking, maybe I dont need a yoder. What other pellet smokers make similar food? I want to be able to go low n slow and high heat (700+). I may just skip the dealer and drive to Kansas to pick up the yoder but again, I got to thinking about considering other brands. I think the mak is probably too expensive. I’d be looking at the ys640 size. Less than $2000 budget. Thanks!
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #2
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

To me, pellet is pellet... You're going to get the same smoke profile whether the cooker is getting made in China or the US. I love my Yoder pellet. I think the main reason I like it is that it's just consistent. I can put something on before bed, and just know that it will be chugging along 8 hours later. The food comes off just as expected every time.

If I didn't have a Yoder, and was shopping I would look at Grilla Grills and Pits-N-Spits. But, I would pick Yoder over all of them. I'm picky that way! Good luck on your search.
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2020, 10:28 PM   #3
Nomamm
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ryan

Get the Yoder. I have had mine for about 18 months. Have put just about a ton of pellets through it so far. Zero problems. I can’t speak for the other brands, but USA made products get more of my attention then overseas.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
Mlhunter
Got Wood.

I love my Yoder. It is the smoker I use the most. I will always have a Yoder pellet smoker. It is so well made. I love the fact it is made in American too.
Cookshack FEC-100
M1 Grill M16 with Competition Cart
Blackstone 36” Pro Series Griddle
Mlhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Have you had food that was cooked on a pellet smoker? I'm an offset guy and decided to give pellets a try...bought a Rec Tec BFG (large capacity model). The food which came off of that thing tasted like I had cooked it in my oven. There was a great smoke ring, but when it came to smoke flavor it just wasn't there...barely noticeable at all. I tried different pellets and it didn't seem to make a difference at all...B&B, Lumberjack, PitBoss, and Grilla Grills brand pellets.

Just something to consider before you take a long road trip and drop that kind of money.

Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 AM   #6
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Had a Yoder and a memphis elite pellet cookers and produced some great food...it is NOT the same result as a well run stick burner though. I used to think pellets got me 80-90% of the flavor of an offset..for me now, it’s maybe like 50-60%. YMMV though. I haven’t had a Mak, which many say produces great flavor. I did like the yoder layout and results better than the Memphis fwiw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-28-2020, 06:47 AM   #7
BlueHaze

Name/Nickname : Indy

I will be truthful. I have a Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850. It’s a really nice pellet smoker. Set it and forget it. Good smoke ring. It’s just like cooking in the kitchen in the oven. The thrill is gone. Looking for a stick burner.
BlueHaze is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #8
Marquez
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Marquez

The Yoder site has a dealer map, and it indicates one in Colorado Springs.

Money talks, and if you came into my store I'd earn your business.

I am very happy w my pellet cooker. While the food from it does not taste like a stick burner, I'm ok with that. It gets the job done every time.

Good luck with your search

Last edited by Marquez; 09-28-2020 at 07:00 AM..
Marquez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 07:19 AM   #9
cclinard1
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chas

I enjoy my YS640s a lot. The Fireboard setup makes it really nice. I'm having good luck with B&B comp blend pellets from Academy. That said, I'm currently also looking at adding a stick burner to my arsenal. For me, there is no one setup that will do it all. Use pellet cooker, have your time, but lose some flavor. Burn sticks, better smoke profile, but lose your time.

Old 09-28-2020, 07:23 AM   #10
Crispy Bacon
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Crispy

I love my MAK 2 but I don’t think you can go wrong with the Yoder. Especially now that it has the new controller & that stainless front guard to protect your paint. Best of luck with your decision & I’m sure we’re all looking forward to see how you like it!
Crispy Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 07:42 AM   #11
busmania

Name/Nickname : Matt

I have never eaten food off of a pellet nor have I ever used one. I think I would often start food on my offset and the. Move it to the pellet so I can leave and do other things. I do worry that I’ll be disappointed in the food but the family is sick of staying home on saturdays so I can cook.
busmania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #12
Cookb4
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cook

I bought a YS 640 without ever tasting food off a pellet smoker. I was disappointed in the smoke favor. I wish I would have tried food off a pellet before I purchased.
Cookb4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 08:25 AM   #13
ECB

I have a mak 2star and honestly I wouldn't want anymore smoke flavor than it imparts. It actually is surprising how much flavor it imparts even on quick cooks like chicken or a pork tenderloin.
ECB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #14
Raider18
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I'm with others, a pellet smoker takes all the fun out with half the flavor. That being said I'll always have one because sometimes if I'm cooking for an office pot luck I want to sleep and those folks think it's the best bbq ever. I've owned a Green Mountain and Two different Recteqs. I'm going Yoder next time.
Raider18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #15
NoCoPk360
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Fred

There are lots of good pellet cookers. The more I get used to them the less strong smoke flavor matters. I don’t have an offset but have cooked a bunch on a WSM. The lighter smoke flavor
from the pellet grill is definitely present but the lack of hassle is worth it to me especially during the week when time is limited.
NoCoPk360 is offline   Reply With Quote