MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-12-2019, 03:03 PM   #376
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

So only 11% of voters voted on the motion to sell the building. It seems like there was more urging people to vote this time than in previous elections I've seen. Is there that few members that care? I know we're never going to get 100%, or hell - even 50%, but how is it that so few people care to vote in these matters?

Thanks from:--->

Old 12-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #377
didisea
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
So only 11% of voters voted on the motion to sell the building. It seems like there was more urging people to vote this time than in previous elections I've seen. Is there that few members that care? I know we're never going to get 100%, or hell - even 50%, but how is it that so few people care to vote in these matters?
I voted, but to be honest, would the outcome of selling the building change if nobody voted? I think the outcome was a foregone conclusion, and the majority of opinion was for it, so I imagine most people felt, why take the time to vote?
didisea is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #378
rib runners
Knows what a fatty is.

it's a for given!
rib runners is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #379
NoNotTheDuo
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by didisea View Post
I voted, but to be honest, would the outcome of selling the building change if nobody voted? I think the outcome was a foregone conclusion, and the majority of opinion was for it, so I imagine most people felt, why take the time to vote?
Based on the KCBS news brief "Missouri Law requires at least 10% of the eligible members to participate in the election of which 2/3 of the ballots cast must be in favor for the measure to pass." I too wonder what would have happened is less than 10% would have voted. I suspect the measure would considered failed and they wouldn't be able to sell the building. Maybe someone smarter can chime in?
NoNotTheDuo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #380
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Time for all of us to start doing our homework, and decide which of the 2020 Board Nominees will be the most beneficial to the KCBS

https://www.kcbs.us/board_nominees.php

At this time, I am a "definite yes" on 2 new candidates (Cridlin and Wagner), "leaning yes" on an incumbent (Berry), and weighing the merits of a few others for a possible 4th vote.

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #381
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Who was the driving factor behind the decision to lower the purse and not give trophies to top 25 in TOY?

Old 12-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #382
arrowhead
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Time for all of us to start doing our homework, and decide which of the 2020 Board Nominees will be the most beneficial to the KCBS

At this time, I am a "definite yes" on 2 new candidates (Cridlin and Wagner), "leaning yes" on an incumbent (Berry), and weighing the merits of a few others for a possible 4th vote.

I'm with you on Wagner. Hands down the most qualified candidate.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:12 PM   #383
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

I think your preferred candidate that can give 4 hrs. per week might be in for a shock if elected.

In a perfect world it would be 4 hrs./month, and I'm hopeful that the hours required from board members will begin trending downward with the current CEO. Committee assignment plays a role in time required, but with each board member sitting on more than one committee ...

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019, 01:58 PM   #384
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduffy View Post
Who was the driving factor behind the decision to lower the purse and not give trophies to top 25 in TOY?
We received an email this afternoon from Emily stating that after tremendous feedback from the membership, that all teams in the top 25 in the overall and in each category will be receiving a trophy instead of a certificate. Doesn't change the money, but the money was already such a small token of the work to begin with.
manmeatbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #385
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:

If I can answer any questions about my positions feel free to ask

Michael Fay
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289

Last edited by Slamdunkpro; 12-17-2019 at 02:50 PM..
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2019, 04:09 PM   #386
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
If I can answer any questions about my positions feel free to ask

Not as much a question, as a comment. I was underwhelmed with your responses to the questions.

Between FB and here, you have been very open (blunt??) about your feelings re: KCBS. As a result, your answers came across as being overly restrained.

Additionally, your identification of the major KCBS issue which needs to be addressed , and your proposed solution to it, falls flat (to me).

You're still in the running for my 4th vote, but you were a "lock" before reading the published Q&A

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

Last edited by DUBBAGA; 12-17-2019 at 05:10 PM..
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #387
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

We have discussed throughout this thread about different things the KCBS should consider to continue growing. One thing that I would like to see is a focus on the membership. Judging is subjective and there are only so many things you can do to standardize that process, but good food is good food and generally wins, regardless of the seating program used. Education is important hear and should be the focus in judging.

If you read the history of the KCBS on the about us page, you will see it started out as a small group that had fun and had a potluck at the end of January to celebrate the successes of the members throughout the year. As the organization has grown and membership has exploded, it seems that some of the mission of the KCBS is getting lost in its size.

Here is the Mission of the KCBS directly from the site.

"Recognizing barbeque as America's Cuisine, the mission of the Kansas City Barbeque Society is to celebrate, teach, preserve and promote barbeque as a culinary technique, sport and art form."

Who is it that teaches, promotes, and participates in bbq? It is the membership. The teams that choose to compete each week are the biggest ambassadors of bbq that the KCBS has. Teams that work hard chasing points throughout the year to hopefully make it in the TOY discussion are the teams that are more often than not, offering bbq cooking classes, promoting KCBS, and getting others excited about what could be by following this bbq passion.

At the beginning of every year, KCBS should outline what is in it for the TOY chase. They should set a minimum of what is paid out, both monetarily and hardware. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be added to with the help of sponsors along the way. Currently, every contest is required to pay KCBS a flat fee plus an additional dollar amount per team that registers for the event. Currently, for contests under 50 teams it is $350 flat fee + $12 per team. For a 50 team, 4-meat comp, the KCBS receives $950. Why couldn't the KCBS increase the amount from $12 to $14, or $17 per team? The organizers could increase their fee to enter by that amount of increase. That increase should be set aside specifically for the TOY. KCBS talks about there being 500 contests around the world sanctioned by them. Let's assume it is only 450. If the average contest has 25 cooks, then at $2 per team would add up to $22,500 allocated for TOY. If it is $5 per team, we have $56,250 for TOY payout without any sponsors stepping up to add to the pot. A $5 increase in entry fee would add up to $150 for a team cooking 30 comps, which is nothing compared to what that team is spending to cook 30 comps anyway.

A $5 increase in what is collected by each contest could build out the TOY for teams cooking fewer contests as well. Having a defined TOY program at the beginning of each year would lead to less uncertainty and give the membership something to look forward to for their hard work throughout the year. Why wouldn't we want to reward the teams that are the biggest promoters of BBQ? Many former TOYs continue to be strong promoters of bbq and being part of the KCBS and having success on the circuit is part of what has helped propel their bbq story. We has an organization should celebrate this to be better stewards of our mission.

A Board member that can support this idea is someone that I would strongly support.

Old 12-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #388
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmeatbbq View Post
At the beginning of every year, KCBS should outline what is in it for the TOY chase. They should set a minimum of what is paid out, both monetarily and hardware. This doesn't mean that it couldn't be added to with the help of sponsors along the way. Currently, every contest is required to pay KCBS a flat fee plus an additional dollar amount per team that registers for the event. Currently, for contests under 50 teams it is $350 flat fee + $12 per team. For a 50 team, 4-meat comp, the KCBS receives $950. Why couldn't the KCBS increase the amount from $12 to $14, or $17 per team? The organizers could increase their fee to enter by that amount of increase. That increase should be set aside specifically for the TOY. KCBS talks about there being 500 contests around the world sanctioned by them. Let's assume it is only 450. If the average contest has 25 cooks, then at $2 per team would add up to $22,500 allocated for TOY. If it is $5 per team, we have $56,250 for TOY payout without any sponsors stepping up to add to the pot. A $5 increase in entry fee would add up to $150 for a team cooking 30 comps, which is nothing compared to what that team is spending to cook 30 comps anyway.

A $5 increase in what is collected by each contest could build out the TOY for teams cooking fewer contests as well. Having a defined TOY program at the beginning of each year would lead to less uncertainty and give the membership something to look forward to for their hard work throughout the year. Why wouldn't we want to reward the teams that are the biggest promoters of BBQ? Many former TOYs continue to be strong promoters of bbq and being part of the KCBS and having success on the circuit is part of what has helped propel their bbq story. We has an organization should celebrate this to be better stewards of our mission.

A Board member that can support this idea is someone that I would strongly support.

Wow, Like you read my mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fay
How do we pay for these programs? Until we can find corporate sponsors, we institute a one dollar drop per team per event to fund the prize pools for the teams. While this seems like another form of team self-funding it’s a way to get the programs off the ground and show potential sponsors their success and sponsor exposure potential.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2019, 03:01 PM   #389
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Wow, Like you read my mind
I think TOY needs to be meaningful. It should also be meaningful for the teams that only cook 5, 10, 15, 20, 25 times. If a team can win the 15 and under and the overall, more props to them. By having something meaningful to chase, then maybe the teams that cook 2 or 3 will then want to cook 2 or 3 more and so forth to be in the running for the chase.

When the Board focuses on the membership, like they did in the beginning, then you will re-build the excitement that drove this organization to 20,000 members.

Old 12-18-2019, 03:19 PM   #390
manmeatbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Fay
How do we pay for these programs? Until we can find corporate sponsors, we institute a one dollar drop per team per event to fund the prize pools for the teams. While this seems like another form of team self-funding it’s a way to get the programs off the ground and show potential sponsors their success and sponsor exposure potential.

I think there should always be a form of self funding to this. We don't want to get into another situation like we did when Sam's Club dropped their sponsorship. Sponsorships should add to the TOY to further enhance it.

Tags
kcbs