MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
tbag
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Good sous vide vacuum sealer?

Im looking for a good vacuum sealer,but I'm not sure which one to pick.

Anyone heard of Polysciene vacuum sealer 150 series?
Any good? I can get a good price on this unit.
tbag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I haven't....

I don't think the brand of sealer matters for sous vide, but rather it is the bag that matters, to make sure it is food safe at the temperature you are heating the food to.

You can follow this thread to see what others have recommended.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=201055

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
tbag
Knows what a fatty is.

I have read a few places that the vacuum sealer does seal the bags but after a little while (either in the fridge og freezer) the seal is not air tight anymore.

Anyone had that same experience? If thats so then I will not buy one (at least not a cheap one)
tbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #4
jakel
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbag View Post
I have read a few places that the vacuum sealer does seal the bags but after a little while (either in the fridge og freezer) the seal is not air tight anymore.

Anyone had that same experience? If thats so then I will not buy one (at least not a cheap one)
Never had that happen with my Food saver unit, and you can double seal if needed.

Cheers,
John

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." R.Reagan
jakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Bacon Weakling
Found some matches.

I've used both the PolyScience and the FoodSaver. Although I prefer the FoodSaver machine, the PolyScience plastic rolls are cheaper. I haven't tried the PolyScience Bag on the FoodSaver machine to see if it works, though.
Bacon Weakling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #6
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbag View Post

I have the Weston and I have had items lost in the back of the freezer almost 2 years old and they are still vac-sealed as tight as they were when they came off the vac-sealer. The food is fresh, has no freezer-burn, and no off flavors.

Even when boiling food in the food safe microwaveable/boilable bags they retain their vac-seal with no air inside..

Maybe the unit others were using wasn't making a proper seal or maybe were not sealed correctly. Something wasn't properly sealed if it is no longer air-tight as you described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon Weakling View Post
I've used both the PolyScience and the FoodSaver. Although I prefer the FoodSaver machine, the PolyScience plastic rolls are cheaper. I haven't tried the PolyScience Bag on the FoodSaver machine to see if it works, though.
The foodsaver can use any standard micro-channel bag. Even the inexpensive Vac-Master bags and rolls.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote