The 8 Days Of Pigmas

C

chachahut

Thought I would throw this out to the Brethren in case anyone wanted to play along next week...

The wife & I run a small Q joint in upstate NY. Usually we are open Thursday - Sunday, but due to the long holiday week next week we decided to open every day. To make things interesting, we've whipped up a BBQ holiday called "The 8 Days Of Pigmas":

pigmas2010logo.jpg

Each day will feature some sort of special menu item & dessert. Here's our schedule & menu:

DECEMBER 26
Pig Candy
It’s bacon candy coated in brown sugar, cinnamon & a touch of cayenne.

ReinCow Pie Ice Cream
St. Pigmas’ flying sty is pulled by a herd of flying ReinCows. The “pies” they leave behind are made of double chocolate ice cream & candy cane pieces.

DECEMBER 27
Pulled Turkey Sandwich
We take our smoked turkey, shred it up, pile it high & top it with our White BBQ Sauce & pickles.

White Trash Ice Cream
Pure vanilla ice cream mixed with BBQ Trail Mix. Sweet crunchy heaven.

DECEMBER 28
Rum, Coffee & the Beef Sandwich
Beef coated in our Smoked Java Cinnamon Rub cooked low & slow until falling apart. Piled high with pickled onions & Rum Coffee BBQ sauce.

Smoked Coffee Ice Cream
Much healthier than coffee & cigarette & 10 times as satisfying.

DECEMBER 29
The Junkyard Dog
The legend is back! 2lb. of Italian sausage wrapped around 2lb. of Trashcan Chili & covered with a weave of bacon!

Bacon Sugar Cookies
Everything is better with bacon & these pig shaped treats are proof positive.

DECEMBER 30
The Full Monty
A sandwich so wrong it is right! Pork, Brisket, Turkey, Trashcan Chili, BBQ beans, Smoked Mac & Cheese & your choice of slaw. There’s no prize for eating it – recommended for two.

Smokin’ Salt Fudge
A decadent chocolate fudge topped with house smoked salt.

DECEMBER 31
MOINK Balls
Watch the Times Square Ball drop with these bite size pieces of beef & pork. Beef meatballs wrapped in bacon – coated in our house rub – smoked & glazed with Sweet Lightnin’.

Cake Balls
It does not get better than a ball of chocolate cake coated in chocolate & put on a stick. The perfect post-MOINK Ball dessert.

JANUARY 1
Hoppin’ John
It is Southern tradition to eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day for good luck. Our Hoppin’ John has BEP as well as smoked sausage, rice, onions & more!

Happy MOO! Year Cookies
Gingerbread cows to bring a sweet start to the new year.

JANUARY 2
Pig Candy
It’s bacon candy coated in brown sugar, cinnamon & a touch of cayenne. One last gift left as St. Pigmas heads back to the North 40.

I'll try & post update pics as the week continues - though I'm sort of hoping to be to slammed to have the time. Would love to see some of the Brethren join in the St. Pigmas celebration.

If any of you find yourself in the Catskill region of NY during the holiday next week, we'd love to have you drop by the Hut.

Happy Pigmas to all!

I suggest that anyone who completes the entire menu, coming in every day and having the special should be entitled to a Pigmas T-shirt!

Hey Gore - yeah we're a bit off the path from Binghamton. More ib the Albany/Kingston corridor. Much skiing in the area though.

Thanks MushCreek! Had not thought about that before but you're right. Every day - every item - you get a tshirt. Had them made up as well (http://chachahut.spreadshirt.com)

Hey 42BBQ - I think my Mom hit Lancaster after she came for our Grand Opening. I think she said it was about a 4 hour trip.

Ran a Test Kitchen tonight for my take on MOINK Balls. All beef balls (no filler - just my house rub & Worcestershire for seasoning) wrapped in medium sliced bacon. Dusted with the house rub & glazed with our Sweet Lightnin' sauce. Will probably make them a bit smaller on the New Year's Eve run.

MOINK.jpg

Also smoked the coffee today for the Java Jive rub (smoked coffee & cinnamon) & Smoked Coffee Ice Cream. The cookhouse smelled like a coffee roaster...

More to follow...

Today's Test Kitchen was for our Full Monty sandwich. Decided to go with a couple of tortillas & roll it up burrito style. Clocked in at 3 pounds of sandwich.

Ingredients:
Smoked Turkey
Smoked Mac & Cheese
Brisket
Trashcan Chili
BBQ Beans
Pulled Pork
Mustard Slaw

theMonty.jpg

Cherie (wife, business partner & sides guru) holding half of the sandwich for a sense of scale:

holdingHalf.jpg

I ate half for lunch - probably a bad idea as I am now more than a bit drowsy & still have 4 hours to work.

More to follow...

Back