Got a huge pork butt and I need help

G

GrillItGood

So I bought a 14 pound pack of boneless pork butt at RD today, man I love that place, and I want to smoke it on a Weber one touch. I am looking to make some pulled pork sandwiches
I smoked some ribs a couple of weeks ago but I have never done pork butt. Anyone know of a step by step guide?
Thanks

So I bought a 14 pound pack of boneless pork butt at RD today, man I love that place, and I want to smoke it on a Weber one touch. I am looking to make some pulled pork sandwiches
I smoked some ribs a couple of weeks ago but I have never done pork butt. Anyone know of a step by step guide?
Thanks

Rub it, sit over night in rub. Throw it on @250. I like to wrap at 180. Pull @205. Rest 1 hour at least then shred it.

I've done a few pork butts and all have turned out pretty good. I trim the butt of excess fat, coat it lightly in yellow mustard, then liberally apply my rub. I leave it out of refrigeration (30 mins. or so) while I get the smoker up to speed, which is anywhere between 225-250 degrees w/ apple/hickory wood chips. At this point you just need to keep your smoker temp. consistent and refresh the wood as needed. I typically only worry about keeping good smoke for the first 4-5 hours. During the second half of the session I start to baste the butt with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and cider vinegar. I pull the butt when it hits 195 degrees, wrap in foil for an hour or so, then shred. Discard any bits of fat or other nastiness, there shouldn't be much, and enjoy!

Regarding how long the smoke will take, typically about 1.5 hours per pound, maybe a touch over. I did a 10-pounder that took 16 hours a day ago. I used a bone-in butt, so it may differ for you all things considered. Just keep an eye on it and keep your thermometer handy.

I'm sure my method isn't perfect, but I get good results with it. I'm always looking to improve it however. I would imagine you will get some great feedback in this thread.

Oh, and read this... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8351

Last edited:
That's a big chunk of pork, guy! It is eaither a whole shoulder or a butt that came off a sow. Cut it in half.

Are you sure it's not two in a packer?

Anyway, I rub mine up with my favorite rub and refrigerate over night. On the Weber you can start a fire of 15 coals on each side, add chips of chunks whatever you prefer and put the butt on. To maintain this temp you will need to tend the fire every 1 to 1 1/2 hours, add several briquettes (2 to 4) to each side and add more wood if it's not smoking. I don't foil so i let it go until it hit about 200.

If doing one huge one or two butts in a kettle, I'd use a disposable pan and do a hi-heat (275-325) cook with all Kingsford briquettes to one side. Cover with foil at 160 or 170 internal meat temp, or if the bark turns black.

If you have a Weber rapid fire charcoal chimney, do this: Fill the chimney 3/4 full. Pour the unlit charcoal on one side, banking in a slight slope against one side of the kettle. Lay one wood chunk in the middle of the briquettes. Take some aluminum foil and cover the other side of the charcoal grate that'll be under the meat. Light half a chimney's worth of charcoal and when it's ashed over at the top, pour on top of the unlit, taking tongs to re-slope and push toward side of kettle, and then put one more wood chunk on top. Put the cooking grate and lid on, but don't put the meat on until the smoke looks clean enough.

BTW, this is pretty close to G. Wiviott's method as outlined in his "Low and Slow" book which you can probably find in a bookstore. I'd just ignore his insistance on using lump. Briquettes will last a good bit longer. Also, one other thing: Try to make sure your lid's not out of round. If it is, you'll have a harder time keeping temp under control.

To check temp, hang a clip on therm in the top vent, and place that side of the lid opposite the coals. (Replace wood chunks as necessary, simply laying on top of coals.) Adjust temp with bottom vents only, noting that temps are much more responsive to opening vents, than closing vents if temps are too high. If you have trouble keeping it under 325, you'll just end up covering the meat with foil sooner. When temps start to plunge and the vents are open all the way, that means it's time to add about 1/2 a chimney's worth of LIT charcoal on top of another wood chunk. If the smoke's billowing, wait a little bit before replacing the lid.

Thanks for the help so far. So in the pack were 2 7 pound chunks (pic below) should I cut them in half to cook quicker or keep them the way they are?
As for the 1.5 hours for every pound, does that go for the total amount on the grill? or for each chunk?
IMG00354.jpg

Back