• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

No more Grill Kings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope, no more grill kings

heard back from Dean. They have decided not to continue with this event. They are too busy and don't need the bs.
nancee

BrooklynQ said:
Ok - Nancee - you can't drop that in here without an explanation. What's the story lady?

I got confirmation this morning from another source. Nancee's right. No more Grill Kings. It's a sad day.

Rob, that stinks, how hard would it be to take their info and put something together. I would definitley be interested in being a part. I am sure the space is already confimed.

Matt, you guys have to do it, if only for WillieB. As I said they have done all of the ground work already, maybe they would even give/loan you the website as a start as well.

Wow! Sorry to hear the news. That is very disappointing. I was looking forward to participating as a competitor. I judged this past year. This year was difficult but the Brethren pulled together and made it a memorable event. Hope that you can replace Grill Kings. You have my support.

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

I don't see why anyone would want to take over that contest. Much better to get a fresh clean start. The website is still up and the sponsor list is all that you would really want anyway.

I think it would be beneficial to show that BBQ is alive on Long Island. Most people have never been but did hear about it on the radio or in Newsday, etc. Besides having a bit of a legacy (4 years) you have already overcome a number of obstacles (location, permits (especially alcohol), sponsors, etc). Again of the potential millions of patrons only a few thousand ever actually went to the event so the problems are only known to a few (and those are mainly the competitors).

If the two big reasons for taking over the contest are the site and name recognition. I think it is an even bigger reason not to take over. The site last year was horrible, and the Grill Kings contest was blasted in most of the Major BBQ Forums. You would be stuck trying to convince people that it was finally going to go right after Four previous failures.

Man, that's really dissapointing. It may have had some serious issues this year but it was great to have something in our own backyard. With a face-lift, we could make this huge.

I can get a block party permit on my street and yall could come down and cook and drink instead. Seriously though i am very dissapointed and was really looking forward to it. We still have grillin on the bay as well as hudson and asbury nearby. Grill Kings sleeps with the fishes

Don't forget that there may be three Connecticut KCBS events this year, including one possibly in Ridgefield, which is less than an hour from NYC.

tedlor70 said:
Don't forget that there may be three Connecticut KCBS events this year, including one possibly in Ridgefield, which is less than an hour from NYC.

I'm especially looking forward to the possible comp in Ridgefield. I have had some input with the group that is sponsoring it. The site they have chosen is a good one (on grass). You all can stay at my house...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

ridgefield

what can anyone tell me about this ridgefield contest? I have a difficult time believing it can happen
nancee

tedlor70 said:

If anyone is interested in trying to fill Grill Kings shoes, please let me know. I have ten years of experience in event management and would be happy to help in any way that I can.

PM me or shoot me an email.

Eric Devlin
saberinc@prodigy.net

Rockaway BeachBQ said:
after Four previous failures.

I thought I recalled it was a pretty good contest when it was smaller in their earlier years (when Willie B one, then Phil and Greg won)?

I wasnt there, so I don't know, but I recalled conversations that were positive back then.

And I think one very positive thing that came out of the Grill King contests was all the publicity in the paper was able to bring alot of you NY and North East folks together here at the Brethren site.

I see alot of people here after the events and articles that all seem to be friends now, of some sort or other.

We use to tease Phil about being the only one from NY, and now there are a ton here (Smoker, Sledneck, BYC, Brooklyn, CT, Westex, Rockaway, Wine, Smoke Eye, Willie, Phil, etc etc)

Maybe it wasn't Grill Kings or the surrounding publicity, or the Newsday article on Phil leading up to the event, that brought you all here, but I think it might have helped. Just getting exposure in the North East is a good thing.

But like I said, I wasnt there, so what do I know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back