Wondering about an insulated UDS?

C

cjallen85

I am planning on building a BBQ trailer. I want to incorporate three UDS onto the build. I was wondering if anyone has every insulated one before? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks again everyone.

People are going to tell you that you don't need it. I use a welding blanket. Just wrap and bungi cord. Nothing fancy, but top and bottom wrap would help even more. Works well in winter.

depends on the climate, I dont use any insulation here in Florida but in colder climates I think it would help keep the heat in and make it more efficient, imo.

I wrap a moving blanket around mine in the winter, It helps in the subzero weather

I am planning on my first UDS build next month. While I have not been thinking about an insulated one for my first build I have been thinking that if you took a 30 gallon drum and dropped it inside of the 55 gallon drum then you could add insulation between the two. I was further thinking that I might just have to weld intake pipes between the inner and outer drum for the intakes down low. Then just weld on the ball valve on the intake and a removable cap for the other two intakes.

I have not put much more thought into than that... but I think that it might help up here in New England.

My only question would be what type of insulation to use between the two drums.

-Jeep

People are going to tell you that you don't need it. I use a welding blanket. Just wrap and bungi cord. Nothing fancy, but top and bottom wrap would help even more. Works well in winter.

When it does get a little chilly here in the south I do the same. Works wonders!

There are a lot of things that are not needed yet done anyway. My other Passion, my Jeeps, are a prime example. They are way overbuilt with things that are not needed.

If anyone feels the need to wrap a UDS with a welding blanket for what ever reason, then they are cooking on an insulated UDS.

So Yes, in some instances an insulated UDS is what is called for. It will be a fun build someday down the road.

-Jeep

If they're going on a trailer, why not just build a box around the three drums? Wouldn't that insulate them enough?

If they're going on a trailer, why not just build a box around the three drums? Wouldn't that insulate them enough?
That is definately an idea. I will keep that in my mind. Thanks!

Back