MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
norwalkbbq
On the road to being a farker

Default Norwalk BBQ PIT Norwalk Ct..

After much angst and careful consideration, it has been determined that the BBQ Pit @ the Norwalk Oyster Festival will be discontinued. This was not an easy decision but we have decided that the time, effort and investment cannot be justified given the financial returns. The Norwalk Exchange Club is a community service organization that exists for the sole purpose to raise funds and distribute the money to those in need throughout our community; we plan on redirecting our resources to another fund raising event.

There are so many people to thank for the support and guidance offered as we planned and presented our event....KCBS & NEBS, vendors, sponsors, other event organizers, and most important you all...the competitive BBQ community because without you it would never happen....we've made some great friends so keep in touch and...See 'ya around the smokers!

Respectfully submitted,

John Vuoso
Secretary Norwalk Exchange Club
Norwalk BAR B Q Pit
norwalkbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

fark, sorry to hear....

Best of luck in your future fundraising endeavors

eric, any NEWS????

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:

Last edited by boogiesnap; 12-09-2011 at 04:47 PM..
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Sorry to hear this. I wonder if Bobby will make Blues, Views and BBQ a full KCBS event again now that Norwalk is winding up. I think he made it backyard only so as not to conflict with Norwalk.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm also sorry to hear this news.

Good luck with your future fund raisers.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
Sorry to hear this. I wonder if Bobby will make Blues, Views and BBQ a full KCBS event again now that Norwalk is winding up. I think he made it backyard only so as not to conflict with Norwalk.
Wishful thinking westport wasn't about the conflict. We(as in comp bbq) are very expensive and a lot of work. Unless we are all selling to the public or doing people's choice what do we offer ? Fat guys in a field cooking won't make them money. the next time somebody bitches about little things like maybe a small power or water problem they should think first.
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Wishful thinking westport wasn't about the conflict. We(as in comp bbq) are very expensive and a lot of work. Unless we are all selling to the public or doing people's choice what do we offer ? Fat guys in a field cooking won't make them money. the next time somebody bitches about little things like maybe a small power or water problem they should think first.
I know. Bobby gave the conflict as the reason for dropping KCBS, but I figured cost was part of it. The fact that it rained the second day the last year probably killed things too. It's a shame, too, because Westport was a great contest.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
bbqdavarrow
Full Fledged Farker

I think he might reconsider, maybe keeping the number of teams smaller, so we will not take up a lot of space (or Steve, maybe we don't like Fat Guys compete!!

Old 12-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #8
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Bull****.

If you are going to run an event do it right. Provide the basics and that starts with reliable power and water. If you cant provide those things - DON'T run the event! No hard feelings, I'll choose one of the many other BBQ events that are properly run.

If I pay $1000 to show up and cook your event I expect the organizer to live up to his or her end of the bargain.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #9
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I liked Norwalk, kind of a shame they won't continue. They did a lot of things right there. It was a fun, interesting event in many ways.

They did, however, shoot themselves in the foot with the People's Choice. The problems with the 2010 People's Choice contests were so severe that many teams (including mine) opted out for 2011. Frustrated teams aside, a lot of potential revenue was left on the table during 2010 - maybe 2-3x times more. It could have made the contest viable for the Exchange Club had in been sorted out.

It's a good lesson for future People's Choice organizers. Get your ticket counts right. Have a backup plan if you run out early. Be sure to have clear distribution channels so people can find the tickets when they want them.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 10:05 AM   #10
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I was never able to make it to this one, it always seemed to conflict with one of my WTU tailgates or something but thats the contest that you were required to do the People's Choice, right? Didn't they aslo have a bunch of other categories like whole hog and chowder?

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
I was never able to make it to this one, it always seemed to conflict with one of my WTU tailgates or something but thats the contest that you were required to do the People's Choice, right? Didn't they aslo have a bunch of other categories like whole hog and chowder?
They dropped the mandatory people's choice for 2011. For 2010 they had 14 different contests, including people's choice for wings, chowder, and chili. There was a chef's choice, an iron chef event, whole hog, sauce contest, best booth, and a few more I forgot. They gave team members a lobster dinner and breakfast (cooked to order the first year)

Tied in with the oyster festival it could have be become a real institution in the northeast if they could have tweaked the people's choice to make more for the Exchange Club. Given the huge crowds and long lines at vendors there, well run people's choice contests should have been real money makers for them.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Cue's Your Daddy
is one Smokin' Farker

I do give them credit for going public and saying they will not be having it so you can plan accordingly. Alot of organizers will just keep you guessing if they will have a contest. So what contests do they have in CT now? Ique, very well put.
KCBS Certified Judge
Custom built Smoker
Big Green Egg/2 WSM/4 Webber Kettles
Webber Gasser
Cue's Your Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
motoeric
Babbling Farker

New London. It was a first year event that was well run (from what I could see as a judge).

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy View Post
I do give them credit for going public and saying they will not be having it so you can plan accordingly. Alot of organizers will just keep you guessing if they will have a contest. So what contests do they have in CT now? Ique, very well put.
Just want to clarify that I wasn't directing my comments at Norwalk, yes nice to get the early heads up.

Was more speaking to my friend Sled... just disagree that cooks venting comments on an event on this forum are somehow to blame for an event going "under"
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Just want to clarify that I wasn't directing my comments at Norwalk, yes nice to get the early heads up.

Was more speaking to my friend Sled... just disagree that cooks venting comments on an event on this forum are somehow to blame for an event going "under"

Don't forget about that NY contest you won the belt at

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ll+kings+posts
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles

Last edited by MilitantSquatter; 12-11-2011 at 09:46 PM..
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote