Pumped or Not Pumped

bottomsupbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Any of you competitions cookers use enhanced or pumped chicken for your comps? All the major retailers in my area mostly carry enhanced chicken. There are a few that carry organic but most often its bonless skinless breasts or thighs which is not what I am after. I have found a couple of places to get a non enhanced product but I hate paying red meat prices for fricken chicken! So the short of it is enhanced chicken for comps. yes or no way!?

chicken pumping

Now, I think it's fair to say we all pump our chicken from time to time. But remember, if you do it too much you will go blind.

AHHHHH I did'nt mean the five knuckle shuffle! Do any of you use chicken that has a sodium solution added by the manufacturer or do you only use organic at a comp?

I pumped my chicken . but it squeeled.on me oop wrong turn in. I meant to say no . if your cooking thighs talk to your butcher tell him to leave the tale on. it will get you alittle more skin to wrap. FRESH CHICKEN ONLY.

Pumping your chicken

I know some producers brine their product before packaging, but how is this "pumping" different from brining?

I prefer Safeway or Albertsons chicken to Draper Valley or Foster Farms for comps. None of them are enhanced.

We use only premium, minimally process poultry for comps. I want our flavors in the chicken, and it's hard to make that happen when your bird is already pumped full of cheapo profit-extender saline. With all you spend on a contest, what's an extra ten bucks for good quality chicken?

Back