MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #31
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
This is pretty remarkable. A team that had an incredible year, culminating at the Jack, gets enough value out of taking a class 3 times. That speaks volumes.

We strongly believe that if you ever reach the point where you've closed your mind to learning you're shooting yourself in the foot. Sometimes it only takes one little thing to make a huge difference in the end result and there just isn't any way that a person can learn and/or retain everything that happens at a class so repeating the same class just made sense to us.

Like DivaHerself said, we both got things out of the class the third time around that we missed the first and second times making it well worth the money spent to attend.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #32
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I wish there would be a class in Iowa.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #33
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I really feel that there is a lot of unnecessary emotion running around here.
Seems like it got "off track" a while ago.
Not a productive way to do things, IMHO.

Here is what I KNOW from first hand experience.

#1--Chad (my former partner) took the class from Myron a couple of years ago.
I was personally there at the end and reviewed his notes and the BBQ they produced.
I have since had a lot of interaction with Myron and Dobie and have even had the pleasure (yeah, sure ) of "washing dishes" for him.
There is no "disconnect" between what Chad was taught and what I have seen in person.
Myron is very open and honest with those who are the same with him.
He teaches what he cooks.
We took a lot of what he presented and adapted it to our cooking.
Great improvement, but still not scoring as well as we wanted. Our consistancy went up.
We just could not make it all "work" for us.

#2--I had the honor of cooking with DRBBQ. I found him totally open and forthcoming to any question I asked. In fact, when I was quiet (most of the time), he offered guidance and information to help me progress.
Call it "guidance" or an "a** chewing", but it really worked and helped me.
A month later, it really helped us at Key Largo with our Brisket and has ever since.
Since then, he has answered any question I asked--fully.

#3--I have cooked with Kevin (HomeBBQ) on three occasions. I have been to one of his classes (most of it anyway). I saw no "disconnect" between what he does and what he teaches. Totally open with those that are the same to him.
Once again, "bits and pieces" of his technique have helped a lot and he is always available and open if I have a question.

#4--I have met Rod (Pellet Envy) and Fast Eddy on several occasions.
I know for a fact that Rod will "share" with you and tell you point blank when you are off base. That is a compliment, Rod.
I feel that Fast Eddy is the same, but have not tried him yet.
But, I will shortly since I am cooking on FEC now.

#5--When Chad and I were first getting started in '04, Jim Minion passed along several tips which I use to this day. He did not have to do that. We just asked and he answered.

What I am trying to say has been stated above,

The guys at the top of the heap have no fear of the rest of us and do not feel the need to hold back.
You can not duplicate what they do since BBQ is still an "ART", and not a "SCIENCE".

Now, there may be some "instructors" out there that short the students.
I do not know.
But I really feel that they are in the minority and do not represent the majority!

Those few are no reason to tarnish the good being done by the professional cooks who teach or make a living at BBQ.

JMHO

TIM

Old 12-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #34
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky River BBQ View Post
Ok...here is my question. Do you think that a cooking class is a necessity to win at comps, or can just plain ol' trial and error get it done? I am debating about a class, but there are none close to me. Thoughts?
Let's get this thing back on the right track shall we...

To answer your "original" question sir...NO...I do not think a class is necessary to win at comps...but it wouldn't hurt if you're a rookie (like me) to get the basics down before flyin' solo!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #35
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Ok...here is my question. Do you think that a cooking class is a necessity to win at comps, or can just plain ol' trial and error get it done? I am debating about a class, but there are none close to me. Thoughts?
No I don't think it's necessary but it will shorten the learning curve quite a bit. I think it's important for people to take a class that suits their level of expertise. If your a beginner you should take a beginners class if you've been at this a while then you should take a more advanced class. I think that's the way to get the most out of whatever class you take.

This post is my opinion and mine alone, not necessarily that of the KCBS, it's board of directors or office nor that of Peter Pan, Tinkerbell and certainly not Rush Limbaugh.
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #36
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

for the record, I want to take a class and have a great one in mind, and have seen the results.I never said anything negitive about any ones class.I just feel that if you can help some one you should, thats what being part of this community is all about (I think). As far as plugging ones products, I may have been off base (a little).

thanks for all of the support via p.m.'s I have recieved!

Sal
I just love BBQ and the friends I have made here and out there!
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #37
Sidw
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

We have taken 2 classes – One from Music City Pig Pals and one Rod & Johnny. We drove about 14 hours round trip to take each class. We had 2 hotel nights for each class, meals, gas and vacation time for Friday. Plus the cost of the class – You can do the math. From our perspective it was worth every penny we spent - it made an immense difference it what we do & how we are scoring now. We combined the knowledge & experience we had with the many things we learned from both classes in every comp we go to. I can’t speak for other classes, but these guys are the real thing. They truly do share their knowledge and work hard to help you improve.

As for as the classes being “money makers” - man I hope they are. But again, do the math. They also have travel, hotel & food expenses, products & supplies; hours of travel, prep time and teaching the class. I bet the money is not as big as you might imagine. They have knowledge (product) and they should be compensated for it. Like every product and service - If they were not delivering value people would not be paying them to put on the classes

Are classes necessary to win at comps, not for everyone- but they sure helped us.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #38
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

This thread has been scrubbed. At one point three of us were taking time out of our day to deal with it. You can either keep it on topic, or play solitaire on your computer. If there is any more personal sniping there will not be a PM explaining why your posts aren't showing up. It will be because all of the moderators are too busy to review and release your post, for the next day or two.

Merry Christmas

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Last edited by Jorge; 12-17-2008 at 09:39 AM..
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 10:18 AM   #39
Smoky River BBQ
On the road to being a farker

A lot of information here! Through it all, however, I do believe I am going to take a class. Right now my scores are run of the mill, and it seems like a class could possibly improve it to a few top ten scores. I appreciate EVERYONE'S help, advice and opinions on this. Just watch out at next years comps, cause I'm gonna be a threat!! haha

Old 12-17-2008, 10:53 AM   #40
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Depend on the class and what you get out of it. I took the ISS class last June. Up until that point I was doing OK but not really walking and losing interest fast in comp cooking. Besides being exposed to such great knowledge the class itself was one of the best times I have had cooking. Fast forward to my first comp on my own August in New Holland PA. I tanked. Like many great cooks have said before, they could give their recipes to 20 different guys at the same comp and result would be completely different for all of them. I went about it the wrong way. I tried to plug the rubs and sauces that they used in to what I always did and it backfired. My next contest was a month away and I had plenty of time to think about. I sat down and wrote out a plan and a time line incorporating what I have always done with what I had learned in the class as far as teamwork, responsibilities , delegating etc. I am gonna guess that it either worked or was pure luck because that contest I was GC and it was a contest that ISS was cooking at as well so I can be sure they held nothing back.
Was it worth every penny? Absolutely. Maybe I would of won eventually but it would of cost me plenty of time, trial & error and at $600-1000 per contest you do the math. Would I take the same class again? Absolutely only after this post I would like a discount My only disappointment with the class was that Steve did not teach us how he did the short ribs from the Jack
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #41
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Oh.. is that when your were going to PA for 'a job'? (Or was it MD?)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 12:36 PM   #42
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
Oh.. is that when your were going to PA for 'a job'? (Or was it MD?)
You are like a wife sometimes
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #43
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

And don't think that kind of love doesn't shine through in the pictures.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #44
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Is it a necessity...No!

Can plain ol' trail and error get it done...Absolutely!

But as others have said if you're ready to learn, and have a class near by that you would like to take, the cost in time and money could short cut your learning process and assist in getting calls and taking walks earlier than just ol' trial and error.

I learn every time I cook, I learn whenever I'm around others who are cooking, I learn when judging, I learn from competitors at competitions, I learn from lots of forums, and from cook books and other internet sites.

Some of that learning may pay off in competition, some may pay off at other times, but the day I don't learn something, is the day I start to die!

Take what chances and times to learn that you can, if that means a class, then take the class, if it means finding and working with a mentor, then do that too, never refuse the opportunity to gain some additional knowledge!

JM2C!

Old 12-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #45
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I heard it from a friend who
heard it from a friend who
heard it from another.... that the ISS class is the best. I am not telling you who told me, but you can see who I heard it from so it's not reliable, so I am not sure if it is really any good. I should have ground this through the rumor mill.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote