Chicken Challenged!!!

S

Stevesonfire!

I continue to be frustrated by the lowly yard bird..
How do I get the skin to that delicious crispy point without burning it beyond recognition?

I smoked/bbq'd drumsticks last night, they looked great, the meat was great, but the skin remained rubbery. :doh:

Steve - what are you cooking on ? What kind of rub ? What temps ? What else are you doing ?

Details will help us help you !!

Forget low and slow for chicken if you want skin that isn't rubbery. You need temps of at least 300 to render the fat out of the skin. When I am doing pieces, I cook them direct for a few minutes to get some color on the skin and then move to indirect to finish, usually at 325 - 350 degrees.

Using my homebuilt offset, I was cooking some spareribs at the same time at about 225-250 degrees. The drumsticks were on for about 3-3 1/2 hrs. Used Weber "kicken chicken" rub.

downsized_06180014281.jpg

So I was about 100 degrees shy....and need to put them on the smokey Joe first to render some of that fat from the skin.
I'll give that a whirl next time I put some yard bird on..( a favorite of my sons).

Thanks for the words of wisdom...:grin:

Will you still get the smokey flavour if you cook the chicks on high temps?

I'm thinking you will still get the smoke in the yard bird. I cook with wood only and the bird will still have to bath in the smoke for a 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Plenty of time to flavour the chicky!

Yup absolutely correct.

Chicken does not turn out right when doing slow and slow. The meat takes up smoke with very little effort so it is easy to get great smoke taste without letting cook for 4 hours.
google "competition bbq chicken" and the first entry will have a fantastic way to make crazy good bbq chicken.

To render the fat, and to get the skin right it has to go over direct heat.

Party on. what I do I learned from someone long ago. Rub the skin with orange or lemon (after brining if you brine) or rub it a couple of hours before grilling. No more rubbery skin and no more lonely grills is our motto. Most of all have fun. Chickens are fun

CIMG0523.JPG

Forget low and slow for chicken if you want skin that isn't rubbery. You need temps of at least 300 to render the fat out of the skin. When I am doing pieces, I cook them direct for a few minutes to get some color on the skin and then move to indirect to finish, usually at 325 - 350 degrees.
^^^what he said...If i want the smoke flavor I add a bunch of wood chunks to the coals

Nothing like having a couple of hot chicks at your party!!!:shocked:

Thanks for the tip!

Back