MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Pork Butt Adventures: Steaks, Cracklins, & Fat Cap Bacon! (Long Pr0n)

Shopping at the butcher always manages to put me in a good mood. Recently I made a trip to one of the local meat markets and it was supposed to be a glorious trip. Not only was I to purchase meat but, I had a $50.00 gift certificate to spend! How could this not be a good trip? Thoughts of acquiring a double packer of pork buts, a tri-tip, and other goodies danced through my head. I skipped up to the counter with a large giddy smile upon my face and requested the Pork Butts. They went into the back and got me one. I was practically dancing around the store as they printed out the sticker and slapped it on the package and set it on the counter. Now, before I go any further, I should make it known that I do understand that the price of pork has gone up but, when I looked at the sticker...

OMG!
Just like that, most of my gift certificate vanished. After that, all I had left was enough to pick up a couple pounds of ground meats. Depression set in immediately upon leaving the store. All my dreaming was for not. I was now left with the decision, do I keep the butts as they were, or do something diabolical with one of them?

Feeling the need for meat therapy, I chose the latter. One was wrapped up and tossed in the freezer for proper use later while the other was left out for some cutting.

I started by removing the Fat Cap but, I went a little deeper than normal to take some meat along with it. This was then bagged up and put away until later.

Any remaining little bits of fat were trimmed off and I was left with a butt light.

As far as the rest of the fat went, I wasn't about to just throw it away, so I chopped it up and threw it in a pan.

While those little bits were cooking down. I took my butt light and sliced off some pork steaks until I hit a bone. What was left I saved for a mini smoked butt later.

After I got all these bagged up, I returned back to the bits of fat that were slowly cooking away on the stove, and after a bit, I had a fresh batch of cracklins!

These little gems were delicious and melted in the mouth.
After I finished up my cracklin snack. I took out some kosher salt, brown sugar, and black pepper and mixed them up.

I have been wanting to make some bacon for awhile so, I figured I would take this opportunity to do some experimenting with it. I took the Fat Cap out and slathered it up with something special.

Then it got rubbed down with the curing mix.

From there it went into a plastic bag to sit in the fridge for about a week.

During this week, the pork steaks came out to play and got cooked up on my indoor cast iron propane powered grill.

These were extremely tender and absolutely delicious! Love me some pork steaks!
After the week or so, the fat cap was ready for smoking.

The Fat Cap was given a quick rinse and then onto the UDS it went, set as low as possible.

"low as possible" was not nearly low enough to smoke the bacon. It wouldn't get any lower than 200 and after 2 hours, the fat had obviously started to cook, I quick probed it and it was at 150 so I yanked it off.

From there I hand sliced it up.

The only thing to do was fry up a couple of pieces to test it out.

The results were not all that disappointing. It obviously does not have enough smoke flavor but, the saltiness and general profile were pretty close to being right on. Some more testing shall be required though. Although one thing I know for sure. I will be attempting Fat Cap Bacon again in the future!
Thanks for looking!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Excellent work fellow Porker! You have done us all proud, all that looks Porkalicious!

Always heed those pork suggestions in your mind. My work here is now complete.

Pork and Away!!!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
gtr

Now that is what I call an excellent post! Looks delicious, great info, fantastic ideas that I will soon claim are my own - thanks for putting that up!

Maybe a bowl of ice in the uds for low temp? Or rig some way to pipe smoke in through one of the intakes?
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
jestridge

Wow, did you save the grease?? All you need now is corn bread and mustard greens
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #5
jestridge

BTW green onions or loose leaf lettuce to pour hot grease over
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That all looks really good I would like to try cracklins sometime
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
deepsouth

great. that's all banGin!

Old 03-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #8
chambersuac

man oh man, I'm hungry now....

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Phubar

LOL @ Mr.Big!

Thanks for the reportage Butsz!
...I'm gonna need me a snack right now!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

There isn't a thing about this post I don't like.

I too love pork steaks cooked over a very hot fire. They make the best "pork chops" you've ever had.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
landarc

That looks pretty close Tom, just a little tweaking with the UDS and you will have it. Nice steak and cracklins there.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #12
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

I love the fat cap bacon idea..
Lion Bout The Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
vhram
Full Fledged Farker

that looks really good.
vhram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
Arlin_MacRae

You are an evil farker! Now I gotta make those cracklins!

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #15
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Great stuff, I'll have to try a couple of those ideas. Nice job!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote