Re-heating smoked turkey

Boogan1

Reaction score
I am pretty new to smoking but starting to get a rep around here and have had several people approach me about smoking turkeys for them for thanksgiving. I need some advice on how to smoke them ahead of time and then they re-heat them and they not be all dried out. I know you guys will have some great answers. Thanks!!

I am not an expert on this, but I would think you could smoke the turkeys to an internal temp of 140 then take them off and put them into the fridge. Then on Turkey day, put them into the oven at about 350 or so to crisp up the skin and finish to the proper internals.

Thoughts??

I am not an expert on this, but I would think you could smoke the turkeys to an internal temp of 140 then take them off and put them into the fridge. Then on Turkey day, put them into the oven at about 350 or so to crisp up the skin and finish to the proper internals.

Thoughts??

The only problem with this is Boogan1 will be relying on the people he's smoking them for to do the reheating and bringing them up to the proper finishing temps.

I have no idea what technique, if any, would work safely.
I do suggest you wait for some food service pros who are probably at work now for some clear guidance,

I never tell someone else what to do.
But, I personally never, ever, sell poultry to anyone under any conditions-- especially partially cooked.
Just me.

I do cook a Thanksgiving meal of Turkey Breast and sides for a shut-in elderly couple we know. But, I control it from start to finish and it is a gift, not a sale.

Good Luck.

TIM

I have done this a few times and my best advice is to cook the turkey completely day 1.
(this way you know it's done)... Refrigerate until you want to serve it. Now , a few hours before you want to serve it ,carve the turkey cold and put the carved meat in a large baking dish with a little bit of broth or just some of the juice from the bird in the bottom. Cover the dish tightly with foil and put it in the oven at 300-325 or so until its hot...maybe up to an hour depending on how much you reheat. I've also done it in a slow cooker and that works well also. Trying to reheat the whole bird in the oven is an invitation to dry meat.

I have no idea what technique, if any, would work safely.
I do suggest you wait for some food service pros who are probably at work now for some clear guidance,

I never tell someone else what to do.
But, I personally never, ever, sell poultry to anyone under any conditions-- especially partially cooked.
Just me.

I do cook a Thanksgiving meal of Turkey Breast and sides for a shut-in elderly couple we know. But, I control it from start to finish and it is a gift, not a sale.

Good Luck.

TIM

I am NOT paranoid of getting sick from food, but I really don't like the idea of partially cooking the bird, and finishing later. :mmph:

I reheat mine in a pot of Gumbo. Enchiladas. and Tetrazini.

Back