MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Default Turkey: 13.5 lb plainville vs 18.5 greenwise?

I'm looking to do a smoked turkey that I'm going to spatchcock on my wsm-22. I see they have plainville free range organic turkeys the biggest one they have is 13.91 lbs. My family gathering is going to be 11 people. I know people like leftovers that do younger smaller birds taste better than bigger birds? I don't want to use the second grade to cook two different turkeys at the same time. What would y'all go with? This will be dry brined for two days and then air dry for 24 hours.
mph33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
Mikhail
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mik

Ham.

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-23-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

After Mikhail’s response I looked up both of those turkeys and the reviews are both two stars. Any way you can get a butterball or Jenny-o turkey. I’ve always bought a fresh butterball with no regrets. The year I couldn’t we got Jenny-o and it was pretty darn good too.

Last edited by Shadowdog500; 11-23-2020 at 07:58 PM..
Shadowdog500 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #4
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdog500 View Post
After Mikhail’s response I looked up both of those turkeys and the reviews are both two stars. Any way you can get a butterball or Jenny-o turkey. I’ve always bought a fresh butterball with no regrets. The year I couldn’t we got Jenny-o and it was pretty darn good too.
I don't see how you can go wrong with a free range bird that has no injections in it. Everybody always preaches that you're not supposed to buy a bird that's got all that salt and other crap that's already in it

Old 11-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #5
WilliamKY
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : William

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph33 View Post
I don't see how you can go wrong with a free range bird that has no injections in it. Everybody always preaches that you're not supposed to buy a bird that's got all that salt and other crap that's already in it
If you can't see how you can go wrong, the question is moot. Buy the free range turkey.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-24-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Based on my experience with free range, organic or just fresh turkey, you are very apt to have a bland bird and perhaps tough. Sure, you can soak in a brine and/or inject, but my best results have been from pumped and dumped birds. For the past 10 years, the star of the show at my house each Thanksgiving and Christmas is a turkey breast that I source from Ben E. Keith Foods. Breast come two to a case and average 10-12 pounds per breast. It is proprietary to them and sold under the name Ellington Farms. Contains a 15% solution of turkey broth, salt sugar and sodium phosphate. I have cooked hundreds of these when I had the restaurant and catering. Always turn out super moist and tender. Butterball turkey run a distant second to these. Plus, there is no waste.

Good luck with your turkey and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday with your family.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #7
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Based on my experience with free range, organic or just fresh turkey, you are very apt to have a bland bird and perhaps tough. Sure, you can soak in a brine and/or inject, but my best results have been from pumped and dumped birds. For the past 10 years, the star of the show at my house each Thanksgiving and Christmas is a turkey breast that I source from Ben E. Keith Foods. Breast come two to a case and average 10-12 pounds per breast. It is proprietary to them and sold under the name Ellington Farms. Contains a 15% solution of turkey broth, salt sugar and sodium phosphate. I have cooked hundreds of these when I had the restaurant and catering. Always turn out super moist and tender. Butterball turkey run a distant second to these. Plus, there is no waste.

Good luck with your turkey and I hope you have a safe and enjoyable holiday with your family.

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks for the info. Do you mail order these turkey breasts or do you go to the Little Rock location? I’m in the north east and would have to mail order mine.

Do you need to be a business to buy from them? They appear to be commercial food and beverage distributor.

Here is the website. https://www.benekeith.com/

Old 11-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Thanks,

Robert
Thanks for the advice. looks like I made a big mistake going with the plainville organic bird :(

Old 11-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #9
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

What are you using for a dry brine?

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
What are you using for a dry brine?
Harvest brine

Old 11-24-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

You can always inject if you are worried about a dry bird.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my Fire pit, Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven

"Nice talkin' to ya"
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
mph33
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyclaw View Post
You can always inject if you are worried about a dry bird.
I'm not worried about the bird being dry I'm concerned about the flavor. everybody online says they taste like pure crap.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #13
Shadowdog500
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm not worried about the bird being dry I'm concerned about the flavor. everybody online says they taste like pure crap.
It’s not too late to get a fresh butterball turkey. The fresh butterball turkeys only have a 4% brine solution compared to the 8% or 12% required to keep a frozen bird moist. In addition it is ready to go since it don’t need to be brined.

I’m sure butterball isn’t as good as the turkey Robert mentioned, but you can buy one at almost every supermarket.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

oak ridge game changer brine /injection , will fix alot of issues
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 05:29 PM   #15
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. looks like I made a big mistake going with the plainville organic bird :(

Perhaps not. Use the Harvest Brine as directed by John. Lots of folks have success with it. I would be tempted to melt a couple of sticks of butter in some chicken broth and pump that bird up. Cook on your WSM at 300-325. If you try the ice trick on the breast, you might be able to pull it off where the white and the dark meats are very close to being idea temp.

Good luck with it. Don't over think it and beat yourself up.

Thanks,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote