Turning a jambalaya pot into a cast iron egg?

chobint

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So what do you guys think? Its 24 diameter and 12 deep, which is the same width as the xl egg, but not the same height. Do you guys know what the distance from the charcoal grate to the cooking grate on the egg? Maybe it will just have to be a glorified kettle :mmph:. For under 100$ its hard to pass up.

3n03md3lb5T65U45P5b3946117430deaa1825.jpg

Make a big batch of jambalaya and you will forget trying to convert it into anything else :becky:

You guys have the creative spirit of a brick wall. I guess I'm just going to give it a whirl and see what happens.

I have a 25 gallon and a 40 gallon cast iron kettle, and I'd NEVER drill holes/cut or do anything to them. Price a new one or try to find a quality old one and see how much they cost. That being said... if you were really good with metal work and had two of them, I'd say it's possible and once you got it up to temp, it should hold it pretty good.

I just noticed the picture, looks like it has tags on it, antique store? I'd just buy it for that price and use it for some big ol' cookouts

A new one about that size (20 gal.) will cost you around $280. A 30 gallon piece $350-$400.

If it's vintage, I'd opt to keep it as is. If it's new (doesn't look it) I'd say modify the heck out of it.

Its a piece in a flea market that needs some restoration. I have had this idea of building a cast iron egg for a while now, and was hoping some people would chime in on some measurements and the general feasibility of the task at hand.

Edit: Also, I understand the "don't ruin an antique" notion, but I talked to the vendor and she said it was just a plain kettle. No ornate features or anything to distinguish it over a modern kettle. I will of course make my own judgment when I see it tomorrow.

Have you seen the Bubba Keg/Big Steel Keg?
Its a double steel walled design packed with insulation... like what your describing... except for the cast iron part.

Save the cast iron pot intact

If you want a to build a cast egg you might want to consider a couple of school bus hub or truck hubs they are a good size and prolly over 1/2" thick > I made an underground pit out of two also build a grill out of one, I try and post you apic

Here a grill made out of a bus hub

Picturefirepit091.jpg

Now this man knows what I'm talkin about. I can't believe how big those hubs are. Thx for the pics.

Edit: Yes, I know what a bubba keg is... but it's not exactly cheap. If I were to prep this kettle UDS style and have it function like an egg, it would be an incredible value.

Yes,a school bus brake drum I have made several things out of them such as a forge. Lot of places will give them to you, but if you weld legs or handle on them use a nickle rod onthem Or better bolt hardware to them

Back