MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

View Poll Results: What name do you like best?
Silence of the Hams BBQ 9 6.38%
Motor City Smoke 42 29.79%
Hot Hogs BBQ 5 3.55%
True Blue BBQ 24 17.02%
Mr. Porky's BBQ 2 1.42%
Lots-O-Napkin's BBQ 0 0%
Wild About Q' BBQ 4 2.84%
The Prized Pig BBQ 13 9.22%
Pig N' Out BBQ 36 25.53%
Down to the Bone BBQ 6 4.26%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
MrTaterSalad
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Quarreling over a restaurant name

Alright here it is. My father and I are looking at starting up a carryout BBQ restaurant. We've gone through and done a lot of investigative work that it takes to both start a business and open a restaurant. We've got costs estimated and spread-sheeted, we've looked at vendors, created and re-created and re-created again a menu for the joint.

We've been able to cooperate with one another through nearly every aspect of this process but one, the name. It started out as an "I'm not sure about that choice" to a full scale disagreement. Normally my father is the more stubborn of the two, however, I'm the horse bucking back on this one.

Many people, I feel enough, have seen the move "Silence of the Lambs". "Hello Clarisse". Now, the name I want to use plays off of the title of the movie. I want to call the restaurant "Silence of the Hams BBQ" since we're featuring a pork-heavy menu. I came up with the name watching the movie one evening and I find it to be clever, unique and catchy. Clientele in my mind will get the connection, laugh at it's cleverness and still have no trouble dining with us. My father however (and my mother for that matter) find the name to be clever yet overly disgusting and ultimately bad for business. They're also trying to convince me that other people will be thoroughly disgusted by the name and not want to carryout at a restaurant that makes connections to a movie about a cannibal. I just think it is too clever to pass up.

Am I completely off base? Does the name "Silence of the Hams BBQ" turn you off to the point of not wanting to get food from a place with that name? Do you think it would detract other clientele? We have a plethora of other names, should I give up and accept something else?
MrTaterSalad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

I would put up a poll with your choices. Leave the story about the disagreement out and see what people think. There might be bias with your story.

A question to ask yourself. If you are in business in 20 years will the name still make sense?

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's kind of a cute and funny name, and I love the movie, but at the same time some folks might make an association with "it rubs the lotion on it's skin" and cutting open cadavers and whatnot.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #4
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Quarreling over a restaurant name

For a comp team name I could get behind it. As far as a business name I'd go with something a bit more acceptable by the public as a whole. Sure a segment of your market may find it clever, but is it worth losing others in the process?

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
landarc

I second the poll idea.

To be honest, that name would not draw me in, not even once. It sounds more like a competition BBQ team name.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with your dad. It is a good competition team name, but I don't want to spend my hard earned money at a novelty named restaurant. You will have some that appreciate the wit, but far more will either be turned off by or not get the name.

That being said, if you turn out good que you can name it whatever you want and people will still show up. The product is what counts.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

It would kind of think of it like saying that you do a good job at cooking rib tips and calling the restaurant "Just the Tip". Some things as clever as you think they are is best left on the shelf.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #8
Bludawg

JM2C Some of the best Joints have simple names,Smittys, Franklins,Snows to name a few. Be proud of your product and put your brand on the Marque it makes a statement.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
landarc

Bludawg makes a good point, most restaurants look at the name as branding, if you have to explain the name, or it is too inside, or jokey, it loses brand impact. It would be better for the name to be 3 to 5 syllables and tie directly to the ownership of the restaurant. Other hooks are often the address or neighborhood you are in.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

It is hard to make sure you have the right name. It took us a while to come up with our name. Our one requirement was that it should be tied to the new bike/horse trail that goes through town. Tying it to the community, in some way, would have more impact.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
NazBQ
On the road to being a farker

I work for an ad agency and we develop brands all the time. I agree with a few of the others. It would be a good team name for competition, but probably not the best for a restaurant.

1. Anyone who has seen the movie knows its about a man that eats people. And it's also about a serial killer making a suit out of human skin. No way I would want that association with the food I serve to the public.

2. For everyone who has never seen the movie, it just won't make sense.

Not trying to burst our bubble. Just giving you my professional opinion. :-)
NazBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
93vpmod
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks like you have a lot of good advice above. Being successful can also be a result of knowing when to change directions.

Best of luck!
93vpmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 12:03 AM   #13
Goyo626
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with bludawg and landarc. Also tying the name to the ownership builds loyalty imo. For example, I find it really cool when I walk into a restaurant with the name of John Q or Johnny Q and you see John working the floor or counter. That is something you cant get in a chain restaurant.
Goyo626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

think about name and main product...are you selling Hams? lambs? (that movie name is extremly inapropiate) make it simple and catchy

Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #15
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

You should name it Pig - n - out.... period.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote