Meat ID Please: Lamb or Goat?

JiveTurkey

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My little cousins are part of the 4H in Hanford and they gave me fresh kill. My aunt first told me it was goat meat then the other day asked if I had cooked that lamb yet. I asked if it was lamb or goat, she said she wasn't sure they have all kinds of animals. Now I don't know what I have. Any ideas?

DSCN0112.jpg

I seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh chopped rosemary, garlic, and red onions. I added to a big bag to rest in the fridge overnight. It goes on the UDS today. Cook pics to come later.

DSCN0115.jpg

It's tough to tell. My humble attempt to determine what it is, would be to slice a thin piece off and quickly fry it. Goat, while gamey, is not as aromatic as lamb when you cook it. Lamb should give off a pretty distinct smell.

We had stew chunks before that we weren't sure if they were lamb or goat. As soon as a piece hit the skillet I knew it was lamb.

no guessing required that is goat

Ill say goat too.

Goat is more dark and red. More like the color of beef. Closer to the color of beef when cooked too.

Looks like cabrito tacos for you tonight :)

ORALE!

Thanks for the ID fellas. I've had lamb before but never goat. The price was right (free) so I wanted to give it a try. When my aunt said it was lamb I was a little disappointed since I've had that before. Nothing new there. Time to go get the UDS fired up!

Last edited:
Free meat is always good , wish someone would give me some goat , never tried it before and don't wont to spend the money on one if I don't like it.

Here is some lamb.

DSC07056-1.jpg

Cant wait to hear how the goast comes out q,d.

I need to make friends with your cousins! I would love free gifts like that.:-D

Does goat come out good on the drum? I've always grilled/seared it since its fat content is much lower (in the little goats or cabritos at least). Waiting for the pron to see how it all turned out!

This is where we're at so far....

I pulled out the UDS but the Klose was calling my name and I couldn't resist burning a little bit of oak:

DSCN0116.jpg

Here goes mutton, I mean nuttin...
DSCN0117.jpg

After 2 hours I foiled since we're making tacos and I want the meat fall off the bone tender:

DSCN0118.jpg

Fire:
DSCN0120.jpg

Edit: adding more pics...

All done! I gotta say, I wasn't expecting much, but this turned out GREAT! I made some salsa in the blender and chopped up some cabbage.

DSCN0122.jpg

Corn tortilla:
DSCN0124.jpg

Thanks for following along with me everybody. Good day all.

Last edited:
I'd have to perform some unspeakable acts on that meat to determine if it's lamb or goat.......... Oh sorry! Wrong forum! :icon_blush:

I forgot to add in my previous post that the meat did start too look a little dry on the exterior before I added it to the foil. I cooked at 250. Once in the foil the exterior softened up from the steam inside the foil. The meat was very tender, not gamey at all, and had a very pleasant taste. Not at all like lamb or beef, it had it's own unique flavor that was pretty good.

Back