• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Finally placing my order!

Ruger410

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey yall I hope all of yall are having a relaxing Sunday. Well I'm finally ordering my first smoker today ,I am ordering the 22.5 WSM ,maverick et732 a weber chimney starter and a bag of weber apple wood chunks. Before I place my order I wanted to check with you guys\gals at the brethren. Anything else I should get?

That will cover you. You might want to find cuttings from apple trees, hickory etc...cheaper than buying. Also the ET 732 is a little cheaper with the Remington wrapper. http://www.amazon.com/Remington-Wir...8938808&sr=8-1&keywords=remington+thermometer

Weber starter cubes are awfully nice to start your charcoal...in the chimney or directly in the basket.

Thanks. My friends grandfather has a lot of fruit trees at his house so when I get out to the farm I'll get some

You may want a cover for the WSM and also a welders blanket to use in really cold weather Make sure the fam wood is weel seasoned You dont want to use green wood

Make sure you get plenty of charcoal, because you will be using it a lot. And don't limit yourself to one kind only, try a lot of charcoal and wood to find which you like best.

And your WSM will come with a cover.

Make sure you get plenty of charcoal, because you will be using it a lot. And don't limit yourself to one kind only, try a lot of charcoal and wood to find which you like best.

And your WSM will come with a cover.

I will see what kinds of charcoal lowes has. I am new to the whole charcoal thing always have used gas

Get some Weber starter cubes. Much quicker and easier than newspaper and leaves almost no mess. You just light one underneath the chimney. They also do a far better job of lighting just a few coals (for Minion) than paper.

Sounds great to me! You'll have a great set up just be patient and the more you use the WSM the easier it will get. Pork is a great start IMHO it doesn't seem to be affected as much by a little temp swing as others. Enjoy!:thumb:

Been using Stubs coal lately, really like it. Burns nice and long.

You're going to love the WSM - my 18.5" is a workhorse.

Don't use any wood from conifer trees, such as pine, fur, spruce, redwood, cedar, and cypress. Also elm, eucalyptus, sassafras, sycamore, and sweet gum wood is unsuitable for smoking. I'm sure there are others. I stick with fruit and nut wood, plus alder and maple.

Hey yall I hope all of yall are having a relaxing Sunday. Well I'm finally ordering my first smoker today ,I am ordering the 22.5 WSM ,maverick et732 a weber chimney starter and a bag of weber apple wood chunks. Before I place my order I wanted to check with you guys\gals at the brethren. Anything else I should get?

I recently got my first smoker, and got a similar starter pack of goodies to what you're listing - weber chimney (I got the little one, as someone else mentioned, which is great for the minion method), and I got some weber brand applewood chunks, which were pretty nice.

I agree with using the starter cubes - my wife gave them to me, and I wasn't sure, but they made lighting so much easier, especially on a cold/windy day.

The only other thing you didn't mention, and I'm not sure anyone else did, is a set of gloves. I have a pair of welders gloves, which are great for handling the grill, chimney, etc without worrying about burning myself.

I'm by no means an expert with one single pork butt under my belt so far, but the welders gloves seem like a must-have to me.

Also, for the charcoal, I got some Royal Oak lump charcoal at my local Home Depot, and it was great - burned evenly for a long time, lit easily, no weird flavors/smells like some briquettes will have - and it wasn't super expensive either.

Other essentials are a case of good beer, sausage for a fatty, naked of course to christen your first cook, and a pork butt. Aka the starter kit, Have fun!

Back