Fire grate and gasket questions. ** RENAMED **

malaki

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
and all of the questions us newbies are asking about the bskd but here is where i,m at.

1. how close should the fire grate be from the bottom of the smoke hole going into the cooking chamber?

2. do you do a gasket mod to the lid of the fire box or will it just burn up?

thats all for now. sorry to bug ya! thanks

hey malaki.. where ya been...?? Grate goes where you like it as longs as it is BELOW the opening to the chamber and you lewave at least 2-3 inchs underneath for airflow and ash. I keep mine about about 2 inches below the opening. leaves about 3-4 inches underneath the grate.

the rope gaskets used in wood burning stoves and fireplaces will hold up as firebox gasket. i found it more important to have the gasket on the door to the firebox as opposed to the lid though.

And to all you newbies :)... no one is gettin sick of newbie questions. its why we are here, that and we cant be in the bahamas.. or hawaii...

PooBah:
i found it more important to have the gasket on the door to the firebox as opposed to the lid though.

Accurate statement--or a Mavis Mod??????

Ditto to all the rest of Phil's post.

We were all new (and I still am) at one point in time :lol:
If you quit asking--we have nothing to talk about except things in Billinois or lame "time-waster" threads! :twisted: :twisted:
Bring on the questions :lol: :lol:

TIM

kapndsl said:
PooBah:
i found it more important to have the gasket on the door to the firebox as opposed to the lid though.

TIM

yes.. i meant the way its typed. My firebox door had a 1/8-1/4 inch gap across the top. I tried to straighten it out, but the bottom and sides was ok, so trying to fix the top threw off the other sides. I lined the top with 3/8 inch rope gasket and problem solved. The top of the lid fit fine, never found a need to seal that.

BBQchef33 said:
kapndsl said:
PooBah:

TIM

yes.. i meant the way its typed. My firebox door had a 1/8-1/4 inch gap across the top. I tried to straighten it out, but the bottom and sides was ok, so trying to fix the top threw off the other sides. I lined the top with 3/8 inch rope gasket and problem solved. The top of the lid fit fine, never found a need to seal that.
Had not heard about that problem. My firebox is fine (lucky me, I guess).
Interesting.

I was thinking you might mean Smokebox.
I know a lot of the Brother's seal the smoke chamber door. But, I normally have to dump heat (if anything), so never bothered about a few whisps of smoke from the door :lol:
Learn something new every day :oops:

TIM

your right there too..... i camew up withthe gasket channels for the smoke box door becsse if air leaking on that too. When I put the gaskets in place, it was easier to maintain temps. Likly becase i wasnt sucking in cold air to the chamber. IMO if you feel like gasketing, gasket the smoke box first. Unless there is a big gap on like mine, the firebox should be fine.

*** Note from admin: I renamed this post to a title that would assist members looking for this type of info Previous title was non descriptive. ****

Great info Phil. I'll have to do this mod soon, maybe this Sunday if I can find the rope gasket. I have a bend on the top of my firebox door that I have been forcing shut using a splitting wedge and a piece of 2x4!

thanks for not getting sick uf us, i just want to build an efficiant, long lasting cooker and you guys help to take out the guess work. where have i been? wokin my ars off. geting ready to plant corn on monday. not much time to work on the smoker but i'm getting matrials gatthered together so when i get time i can finish every thing i have started.

i have already sealed the fire box door with the rope but my lid has a gap all the way around, not much but it will still pull in alot of air. the bricks i found are 1 1/4 and to leave room for ashes and not be too close to the opening

thanks! again!

If you got the gap opn the lid, likie i had on the door, then you need to get the Gasket tape:, not rope; Same stuff, just the tape is flat and will work better than the rope. Both are available at fireplace stores or wood burning stove places. You can also try a place that sellss appliance parts and get a door gasket for an indoor oven. Dont know if it will hold up the same, but if ya cant find a firelace place, its worth a try. If ya really have a problem, I have a place somewhat local, drop me a PM and I will pick one up in my journies and ship it to you.

thanks for the offer Phil, you guys are always wanting to send me something. if you really want to send me stuff cash is fine and cheaper on shipping. :D lol. if it ever rains so i can get the day off to look for stuff i,m sure i can find it somwhere around here. well i'm off to the feild!

Back