Smoked Turkey

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
This past weekend I brined a turkey and let the FEC have it for a total of 9 hours. It was a very juicy bird. Practicing for the holidays. Thought I'd share a pic. I made my own brine and soaked it over night. The brine was 1 quart of soy sauce, 1 cup pickling salt, 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 gallon ice water, placed the turkey in the bucket with the solution and added water until covered. I set the FEC at 180*F and smoked for 2.5 hours, then raised the temp to 270* until the bird was finished. In all it went 9 hours total. I foiled the breast about half the way through and went to 165*F in the breast.
Turkey003w.jpg

Care to share the precooking weight of that bird?

We're smoking one in the Gator this Saturday for the Boondoggle Family. And a tri-tip and some baby backs.

That thing looks way to good to be real! I think it is plastic...

When you foiled the breast and took it off at 165 degrees, did you happen to take the temp of the thigh? Just curious on if the foiling actually made a difference.

Beautiful coloring. Nice work Kim.

Nate

Great looking turkey. Has anyone tried to butterfly a turkey like a spatchcoked chicken before? If so how did it turn out?

She sure is pretty bird. Oh bout forgot, in addition to the others questions, I'd like to know about smoke - er, did you use much smokin wood and what kind?

When you foiled the breast and took it off at 165 degrees, did you happen to take the temp of the thigh? Just curious on if the foiling actually made a difference.

Beautiful coloring. Nice work Kim.

Nate
Kim didn't have a thing to do with the pic on this one. I guess I'm on restriction or something. I didn't take the temp in the thigh except one time and it was running right with the breast then at 135*.

Now that would be something I would be proud to put on the table. You sure you didn't cut and paste from a Ricks Tropical or Thirdeye post?:biggrin:

Nice work.

Last edited:
Back