• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Austin

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Reaction score
Coming down for the Brethren Fall Bash, gonna stick around and hit a bunch of places. Coming in the Thursday before & leaving the following Tuesday. Anyone else want to hit up some places? Let me know.

Yep. Starting to line up some places. Also looking for some good non Que spots. Have a few friends in town as well that have given me some ideas.

Other than BBQ I would seek out some good Tex-Mex or taco spots. Its been a few years since I lived in Austin but your friends there should know some spots.

I second Rockinar. Lots of great Tex-mex in that area besides the awesome BBQ. Or check out Valentina's for a little of both.

Valentina's was one of the ones on the list. Probably hit the Salt Lick, as one on my friends lives down that way. As they said and I've heard, it's not the best BBQ, but it's a fun atmosphere and a good time.

Salt Lick is a fun spot. Food isn't like the legendary BBQ around there, but good enough to eat while looking at a bunch of super lovely TX ladies.

If you wanna do the line, obviously Franklin's - but isn't for everybody. I had fun though and the brisket is the best I've had.

John Mueller's Black Box BBQ in Georgetown is great - all his stuff. Love his beans and he also has a great squash dish as a side.

Stiles Switch - great atmosphere, great food, not a big hassle with lines and stuff that I'm aware of - I've only been once and was fantastic and easy.

I'd guess you're already aware of Snow's, Louie Mueller's, and the Lockhart spots. Snow's is only open on Saturdays - so you may not wanna go there on the day of a Bash, unless you have 4 stomachs.

For the Lockhart spots, I've only been twice, but based on that and what I've heard, different places are better on different days. I love love love the pork chop and clod at Kruez. Black's meat is great, and they also have really good sides - and their peach cobbler is really good.

TMBBQ has great reviews and info:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/?s=bbq+reviews

Valentina's was one of the ones on the list. Probably hit the Salt Lick, as one on my friends lives down that way. As they said and I've heard, it's not the best BBQ, but it's a fun atmosphere and a good time.

Just go to Salt Lick understanding that it's reheated tourist BBQ and not Texas BBQ. The pit you see in front is not for cooking. It's what they use to reheat it. For some reason everyone thinks its cooked on that pit. It's not. That open pit is just for show.

Terry Blacks?

I haven't been to Austin, but lately, I have caught on Facebook, multiple posts about Terry Blacks BBQ and saw they have been going since 2013 I believe? Are they comparable to the bigger name places?

If your friends live out near Dripping Springs you may want to consider Stiles Switch. They opened a 2nd location in Dripping Springs called The Switch BBQ & Brew. They are open all day till about 9 and have specials like chicken with Alabama white sauce, prime rib, etc. I've not been there but it looks really good.

Coming down for the Brethren Fall Bash, gonna stick around and hit a bunch of places. Coming in the Thursday before & leaving the following Tuesday. Anyone else want to hit up some places? Let me know.

Andy, I took some vacation time then and plan to come down either Thursday of Friday. My nephew from Tennessee is hoping to attend and hopefully I can convince my son to take off then also. Definitely would love to hit some BBQ or Tex-Mex joints down there with you.

If your friends live out near Dripping Springs you may want to consider Stiles Switch. They opened a 2nd location in Dripping Springs called The Switch BBQ & Brew. They are open all day till about 9 and have specials like chicken with Alabama white sauce, prime rib, etc. I've not been there but it looks really good.

Stiles Switch is the real deal when it comes to good BBQ. Would pass on Salt Lick and check them out.

Andy, I took some vacation time then and plan to come down either Thursday of Friday. My nephew from Tennessee is hoping to attend and hopefully I can convince my son to take off then also. Definitely would love to hit some BBQ or Tex-Mex joints down there with you.

Stiles Switch is the real deal when it comes to good BBQ. Would pass on Salt Lick and check them out.

Sweet! My flight gets in late morning on Thursday, leave the following Tuesday. Have a friend that lives a little NW of Austin in one of the suburbs and one somewhere down near the Salt Lick. Only reason I thought I'd go there. Trying to get them both to come up to the bash.

Kemuri Tatsu Ya, mindblowing. Texas BBQ and Japanese izakaya mixed. Oh god I love that place.

BBQ Sushi? Well that sounds interesting. My buddy that lives down there is a sushi nut.

Trying to decide if I want to take a ride down to San Antonio while I'm there. I hear Cured is supposed to be real good.

I live about an hour outside of Austin - about 30 minutes from Lockhart, and 15 minutes from Luling. If y'all are going to hit any place in Lockhart or Luling, let me know - maybe we could meet up. Or, if you just need anything whor you're down here, y'all can call or text me at 309.229.9369

I'm a big fan of Black's BBQ. They have a location in Austin where I had the giant beef rib last visit. Salt Lick is touristy but fun.

Back