cooking brisket at 325?

HowardH

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Like most of us, I was always told the best way to cook a brisket is low and slow - 225 deg for a long time. My BGE XL can handle that as i can get 14-15 hours with large chunk charcoal but I wonder why can't you cook it at 325 and cut the time down dramatically? Is it going to change the way the brisket cooks? I know I'm missing something so any advice is appreciated.

I have been cooking briskets at 300 in my Hunsaker drum and they come out fine. You just have to watch the bark color and wrap once the bark is the color that you prefer.

I have been cooking briskets at 300 in my Hunsaker drum and they come out fine. You just have to watch the bark color and wrap once the bark is the color that you prefer.

Ron L are you hanging them or using a grate? What size are buying, and what is a typical cook time at 300°? I'm helping a guy with a new team do test cooks before his first competition this fall and we're just getting around to brisket. I have one with 3 weeks of wet age, just waiting for a nice day. Between us we have 3 drums so they seem like the logical cookers to use. We are torn between separating the point and flat and keeping it whole but we have plenty of time for test cooks.

Ron L are you hanging them or using a grate? What size are buying, and what is a typical cook time at 300°? I'm helping a guy with a new team do test cooks before his first competition this fall and we're just getting around to brisket. I have one with 3 weeks of wet age, just waiting for a nice day. Between us we have 3 drums so they seem like the logical cookers to use. We are torn between separating the point and flat and keeping it whole but we have plenty of time for test cooks.

On the grate. I separate the flat and point, and trim aggressively since my brisket cooks are with for competitions or practice for comps :-D. I trim the fat so that the slices fit neatly into the box. I usually start with a 16-18 pound brisket, but I really look for a thick flat and marbling, so some may be bigger, some smaller.

I cook on the grate at 300 for about two hours, flipping twice, and then wrap, but I am really wrapping based on bark color, so it could be sooner or later. Time in the foil is usually 90 minutes, but I look for it to be probe tender, so that could vary as well. I have been foiling the point earlier that the flat so it cooks longer in the foil and is usually done at about the same time as the flat, but I also check that to make sure that enough fat has rendered.

300-325 is normal for me. Usually around 4 hours or 165-170 internal temp the bark has set hard enough to wrap. Then another 2-3 hours and it's ready.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

300-325 is normal for me. Usually around 4 hours or 165-170 internal temp the bark has set hard enough to wrap. Then another 2-3 hours and it's ready.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Same here, and I always wait to see the 170* mark before wrapping so I know it's far enough out of the stall the evaporative cooling portion of the cook is done and over with.

I prefer the flavor of a hot & fast brisket, to me it has a little bit of the taste and texture of a really good grilled steak when you get into the point areas and the grain reverses direction.

Back