MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #1
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Default Ribs & Chicken Pron & and BGE question

Had a bbq birthday this past weekend for the lady that lets me hunt on her land, she turned 78. 15 racks of ribs, 12 chicken thighs and 6 breast. Right now, I'm cooking 80 chicken quarters for a friend's memorial post-funeral gathering.

Question for you BGE owners, what would be a good price to pay for a used large size, with a table, and some other accessories? What specifically should I look for as far as seals or parts that could be bad and need replaced?

NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Depending on the age and the size of the table I'd say $400 - $500. Check the ceramic parts first. If any of then are cracked of broken they can be expensive to replace. A gasket is cheap and fairly easy to replace.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
CaptainJimmy
Full Fledged Farker

i'd say no more than 250-300$ for a large BGE with all the fixins, as long as everything is included, perhaps more if it has ALL of the eggcessories. I'd say in great condition with the table no more than $350-400.

I paid $250 for my large, it included the nest, ash tool, electric starter, v-rack, DFMT, and 1/2 bag of BGE lump.

However, I am about $500 or so into this egg now, as it lacks eggmates (tables), it needed a platesetter, grid extender, and pizza stone. I also just replaced the older lever style bands with a spring loaded band, and replaced the sliding vent with a new vent with screen. The seals can be replaced easy enough... Mine happens to have very "well seasoned" gaskets...

It was the best investment i've ever made. I use it literally every day.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't have any BGE advice, but that sure looks like a damn tasty way to pay that lady back.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

Cracks and overall shape are what to look for. Bought a used medium and did not even notice the cracked firebox until i got it home and cleaned it out. Used it for over 3 years that way, and just sold it, so look closely at the firebox. I have always used 50% of retail as a good starting point whenever selling or buying.

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. The chicken was very tasty, but I had to pass on the ribs though. Last week, I found out my gallbladder is working at 12% efficiency and has to be taken out. The last 2 times I ate a lot of ribs (which was twice in the last 3 weeks), I was really sick the next day...turns out it is the gallbladder. If I score the BGE, I'll post the pics.
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
LakeLBJ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

For Texas, $250-$300 for a large is low. There is no you could find one normally for that around here. They go for close to new, that is IF you can find one.

I got mine from a friend of a friend, and I got it for $300 with a nest. I went to a Big Green Dealer store the next day to buy some charcoal and tools and he told me he'd buy it from me for what I paid for it plus $100 if I wanted to sell it. I declined.

I need another one for my lakehouse. If you can find me one in central texas for $300, I'd jump on it in a second.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Nice looking food! I would guess about $400 for the BGE - I have never seen them used for anywhere close to $250, but if you can score one for that, jump all over it...the ceramic cookers are incredible to use...I can't imagine not having mine
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
ljh34465
is one Smokin' Farker

check www.bubbatim.com and his green book - has some good guidelines about used eggs.
ljh34465 is offline   Reply With Quote