"Traditional" Thanksgiving... tandoor pron!!

caliking

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Howdy Brethren.

Had a houseful of folks visiting for the T-Day weekend and had a blast. Here is some pr0n from the day we fired up the tandoor for saunfiya murg tikka (aniseed marinated chicken tikka) and a lamb dum pukht biryani made from scratch. It all came out great. Usually we make naans on the sides of the hot tandoor, but we were a bit lazy this time and skipped the naans. The tandoor takes a couple of hours to heat up, but the grub cooks quick. Biryani pics will come in a second post.

Pic 1 firing up the tandoor

Pic 2 heating up the tandoor

Pic 3 groceries loaded

Pic 4 cooking away at 600°F

Pic 5 20mins later... done!

Attachments

• tandoor 5.jpg
    tandoor 5.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 212
  • tandoor 4.jpg
    tandoor 4.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 210
  • tandoor 2.jpg
    tandoor 2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 210
  • tandoor 3.jpg
    tandoor 3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 210
  • tandoor 1.jpg
    tandoor 1.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 211
Biryani pron

Pic 1 frying up some onions in ghee

Pic 2 The marinade - yogurt, mint, onions, cilantro, thai chillies, pepper, mace, coriander, cumin, cloves, salt, turmeric, and green cardamom

Pic 3 All blended up

Pic 4 Lamb in the marinade

Pic 5 Cooking up the lamb and marinade mixture

Pic 6 Assembling the rice, meat mix, saffron, black cardamom, and fried onions

Pic 7 Sealing up the pot with dough (dum pukht method)

Pic 8 The pot after cooking in the oven :shock: for 1 hr @ 350°F

Attachments

• biryani 3.jpg
    biryani 3.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 209
  • biryani 2.jpg
    biryani 2.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 210
  • biryani 5.jpg
    biryani 5.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 209
  • biryani 4.jpg
    biryani 4.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 210
  • biryani 6.jpg
    biryani 6.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 208
  • biryani 8.jpg
    biryani 8.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 208
  • biryani 7.jpg
    biryani 7.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 209
  • biryani 1.jpg
    biryani 1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 210
Caliking, that is OUT OF CONTROL!!!!!

I LOVE that kind of cooking!

Cheers!

Bill

Wow that is awesome. Finally get to see th UDT in action!!!

I have a tandoor question. On the skewers, what keeps the meat from sliding down? I picture whole chickens just sliding down to the bottom.

Cap: was wondering where you were hiding:-D

If you look at the skewers, there is a big hunk of potato at the end. Slide em on raw (yukon gold). They actually taste awesome when the chicken gets coooked because of the juices that drip onto them. They are cooked by the time the chicken is cooked. Sort of an insurance policy to make sure that things stay put on the skewers.

Oh cool, that makes sense.

I was thinking of grinding in barbs on my skewers, then putting removable wood handles so I could slide the meat back off.

I love the rice pot with the dough seal.

A change of subject but I am looking around for one of those Indian pressure cookers now. The one with the shelves that layer in to cook multiple items. They are awesome.

You have to see the hand hammered karahis I found. They are on my Xmas list. This coming spring I want to have a real outdoor Indian Kitchen set up.

Sorry, may be another thread.

Thanks for the post. LOVE IT!

That looks awesome - thanks for sharing. Would love to see some pics of Tandoori Chicken sometime...

Oh cool, that makes sense.

I was thinking of grinding in barbs on my skewers, then putting removable wood handles so I could slide the meat back off.

I love the rice pot with the dough seal.

A change of subject but I am looking around for one of those Indian pressure cookers now. The one with the shelves that layer in to cook multiple items. They are awesome.

You have to see the hand hammered karahis I found. They are on my Xmas list. This coming spring I want to have a real outdoor Indian Kitchen set up.

Sorry, may be another thread.

Thanks for the post. LOVE IT!

Those sound like some pretty fancu seekhs you have planned. Wish I had those tools and skills.

The standard Indian household pressure cooker brands are Hawkins and Prestige. They are indestructible.

Back