• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Boiling water at a tailgate

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My goal is to have boiling water at a tailgate so I can make hot chocolate and spike it with some peppermint booze.

I'm trying to figure out the easiest way to do this (and the cheapest).

Right now I'm leaning towards the little camp stove in the attached picture.

A tea kettle seems lame and I don't know if a 20 cup coffee percolator would do the job.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I use my turkey fryer to heat water when I tailgate. You goota think your in a big parking lot with wind. Tha thing won't work. Trust me I tailgate most jets home games. Go big or go home

It really doesn't have to be boiling, just hot. A percolator would be fine as long as you have electricity. You can probably find a percolator at a thrift shop or Goodwill pretty cheap.

Get the coleman stove .. you'll find many more uses than just tailgaiting making the $50 original cost easily justified

IMGP2994.JPG

It really doesn't have to be boiling, just hot. A percolator would be fine as long as you have electricity. You can probably find a percolator at a thrift shop or Goodwill pretty cheap.

I've yet to find an outlet at any tailgate :rolleyes::becky:

I use my turkey fryer to heat water when I tailgate. You goota think your in a big parking lot with wind. Tha thing won't work. Trust me I tailgate most jets home games. Go big or go home

good point! i never considered that this little burner may not be able to keep up with cold wind.

i do have a turkey fryer but i have yet to buy a propane tank for it. maybe ill just bring my smokey joe and use a tea kettle.

good discussion guys!

anothet option is to just keep drinking cold beer!

boil the water at home and put it in a gatorade type cooler - will keep that water hot for hours

As a scout leader/dad, tailgaitor etc I have a lot of experience in this. In fact last weekend I made hot coffee for me and the wife at the jets game spiked with jamisens and bailys

There is good advice here, just as an fyi Coleman does make a single table top burner that runs on the small propane that is far more stable that the camp stove in your picture and less bulky that their dual burners and the turkey fryers (all which are good), but the single tabletop burner is a good inexpensive alternative when space is limited and you need only one heat. This is what I use for tailgating. After making our coffee on Sunday, I put used it to heat up the sauerkraut.

You can pick up peculators in a number of sizes.

coleman.jpg

I've yet to find an outlet at any tailgate :rolleyes::becky:
How about one of those power inverters for the car?

One of my clients is an Electrician. One day they are on a job and his employee goes into the back of the van with a cold cup of coffee that was leftover from break. A minute or so later he's back and its hot. The employee modified the van to include a nuker. It runs off the trucks power.

:thumb:

I would definitely go the little Coleman route.

If you have a DC->AC power inverter, you could just get an el-cheapo single hot plate from Wally World ($15).

Trust me, I'm a big camping enthusiast and know what I'm talking about on this point. The classic coleman 2 burner stove is the way to go. Notice I say "classic" because I'm talking about coleman liquid fuel, not propane. Propane is okay but does not have the BTU's of coleman fuel and if you run it for very long, the lines will freeze, leaving you with not much flame. The propane stoves have become popular in recent years because they are considers "safer" by those who are afraid of handling liquid fuel. Trust me, the small propane cannisters don't work nearly as well and aren't nearly as reliable.

You can pick one up on ebay for less than $40 including shipping and it will last a lifetime. Look for a 425 or a 413. They are easy as cake to rebuild. They work well in wind, and you can pair it with a griddle and cook anything from hamburgers to pancakes. I've got two of them and a multitude of smaller backpacking stoves but the classic two burner is the best thing for "car camping," which is essentially the same thing as tailgating. I've cooked some great meals on mine and would not trade them for anything!

I read an article once about long haul truckers, and they had made devices that hooked on and near their engines, so as they drove, the heat from the engine cooked the food and heated the water. At a certain point, they pulled over, removed them from the engine block, and they had their dinner and drinks.

One guy made something to heat his water for coffee.

This may not be practical, but I thought I'd toss it in.

Back