MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
2001Heel
Full Fledged Farker

Default Insulated Firebox

I placed an order for Shirley Fab smoker a couple weeks ago. I am thinking about adding a couple of "options" to the trailer such as a sink and an insulated firebox. However, I don't want to do both due to my budget. If you had to choose one, which would you choose and why? Personally, I'm leaning towards the sink, but I would like some feedback.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just curious...what percentage of your budget is each option?

If it were me and the percentage was low (which I expect it is), I would bite the bullet and add both now rather than settle for one and wish you had the other or try to work it into the design down the road and it not look like a good integrated design (RE: the sink) unless you had Paul design the trailer to accept one down the road.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
2001Heel
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not sure about the sink as I am still waiting on the quote, but the insulated firebox will increase the price of the unit I have chosen by about 15%. I suspect the sink will do the same, if not a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Just curious...what percentage of your budget is each option?

If it were me and the percentage was low (which I expect it is), I would bite the bullet and add both now rather than settle for one and wish you had the other or try to work it into the design down the road and it not look like a good integrated design (RE: the sink) unless you had Paul design the trailer to accept one down the road.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:51 PM   #4
SpicemanJames
On the road to being a farker

I don't have a insulated firebox on my smoker, but I know a couple of people and they say they love it, and you don't have to tend to the fire near as much and cuts down on the cost of wood. If that helps.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #5
TexasRT
Full Fledged Farker

Obviously it would be alot easier to add a sink later versus adding an insulated f/b later. I would go with the insulated F/b option based on that alone. If you don't get now, you'll never have one.
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

I like TexasRT's way of thinking. It is a one shot deal on the firebox without some serious reconstruction.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #7
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

I understand the burn time and increased efficiency but do you need an insulated FB in NC? Will you go out there in the cold and bbq? I also thought about adding an insulated FB to my shirley RF smoker but went with a thicker FB 3/8". But I do have a stumps for "real cold" times here in SE VA.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
SmittyJonz

I'd get insulated firebox - sinks are easy to add.
I know a fellar in Midland and another out Abilene way who SWEAR by their insulated FireBoxes

Old 02-12-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
CabinFever
On the road to being a farker

My Backwoods is insulated and I like it more than I ever expected. It seems to cook more evenly. Yes it does perform better when it is cold, but it is also nicer to be standing next to when it is 90* out. Things don't melt if they come in contact with it, and it is safer around kids if that is an issue. If I could only do one it would be the fire box. I can add a sinlk later if I had to. CF
CabinFever is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #10
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

Of the two options, I'd choose the insulated firebox. I do not have one on my offset, and I have no issues with not having it. To be honest though, I would be looking into increased capacity over either of those options if there was a little bit of play left in my budget (or just holding onto the extra money for the things you are going to figure out that you need after you get the cooker).

Old 02-12-2014, 03:27 PM   #11
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

These are some smart fellas around here, the firebox is the only choice. You can add a sink any ole time.

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #12
crb478
Full Fledged Farker

I live just down the road from you in Denver, and have a somewhat insulated fire box with out a sink. (walls are lined with cement board and skinned with 1/8 inch metal sheeting) I like the way the fire box works, but still do not see the need for a sink since everywhere I cook has a sink nearby. I did help put a small sink on a friends rig with hot and cold water, but he very rarely uses it. He caters and finds it easier to pack up everything and was it at home. His sink rinses off a spoon or something every now and then but that's about it.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #13
GoolsbyMD
Full Fledged Farker

What about mods to the trailer? Lock box, propane burner for deep frying, or boiling ribs, wire it to be able to plug into an electric supply(kind of off the wall), storage is always key. Just other random ideas

Old 02-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Insulated firebox on a stick burner makes a huge difference. My fuel consumption was drastically reduced when I went from non insulated Lang to ininsulated Jambo
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
64Driver
Full Fledged Farker

I ordered my SF with a 3/8" firebox. I'm trying like mad to save enough money to change it to an insulated firebox before Paul and Tyler start to build it.

TexasRT said it best..."If you don't get now, you'll never have one".

If you ever decide to add the insulated firebox later, it will cost you more in the long run rather to just have it done now. Just make sure your trailer has the space for a sink to add at a later date, which I'm sure Paul and Tyler can do no problem.

"Lest we Forget"

Last edited by 64Driver; 02-12-2014 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Typos
64Driver is offline   Reply With Quote