Heads Up: IMUSA Tamale Pots Not Consistent

JMSetzler

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I built a Mini WSM for a friend today. I gave him a list of the parts I needed and he got them all and brought them to me on Monday. I got everything put together and set it up to do a seasoning burn on it tonight. The first thing I noticed about the difference between his tamale pot and mine was that the hole pattern in the steamer insert was different. No big deal there because we aren't using it. The second thing I noticed tonight was that the handles on the pot are positioned a little higher than on mine. When I put the smokey joe lid on it, the outer lip of the lid actually hits the handles on the pot. I'm getting a good seal though and the temperature control on the mini is working fine.

You have a good seal? You are good to go. I wouldn't sweat the details.:thumb:

I heard you want the ones made in China, not Colombia. Not sure if that's the case in your situation.

I think this particular pot is fine but if there was even a tad of variation in that where the handles were higher i'd not be able to make it work without modifying the Smokey Joe lid.

I think this particular pot is fine but if there was even a tad of variation in that where the handles were higher i'd not be able to make it work without modifying the Smokey Joe lid.

I would make a sketch of the dimensions that you prefer and measure any future purchases before you buy them.

I heard you want the ones made in China, not Colombia. Not sure if that's the case in your situation.

Interesting... I'm not sure either. The label I peeled off went out in the trash already and I'm not gonna dig through it to try to find out where it was made. I did not know they had two variations of it but I think this one is gonna work out.

There are 2 and the colombia ones are definitely different. The first china one I bought was way off and the lid did not fit at all. I had to return it and buy a 2nd one in order to get it to fit. There are slight differences in them.

Back