MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #16
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodhog View Post
I hope this doesn't sound wrong, but I feel like I read this same thread weekly, and while its great that you guys seem to make these things work, wouldn't it be easier and better to just start with the right size drum?

If you take a weber lid with you when drum shopping, look at the open top (or "ring top" drums) and flip them over, find one that the lid fits the bottom perfectly, it also makes it very simple to remove the bottom while building, and you can change the lid if it ever rots or to simply clean the drum out.
Don't forget to scrape off and throw away the rubber seal!
That would be fine and dandy if there was one stop shopping for drums and barrels, but the fact is all drums are not created equal. And if you read these posts over and over, a lot of folks just do not know or are unable to locate them in their area.

Tricky asked a question regarding WELDING the flange onto his drum and he got a couple good tips and hopefully the pics of my 30 gallon drum sets him on a path.

If he had asked for information on pop riveting the lip to his drum, I likely would have passed this thread by.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #17
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
What about cutting the top off of the kettle? Grinder or recip saw with metal blade?
Forget the recip saw, go with an angle grinder with a cut off disc.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #18
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodhog View Post
...wouldn't it be easier and better to just start with the right size drum?
Yup, would have been easier. But I didn't know at the time I built my drum that one day I'd want to add a kettle lid. I was just getting started and I was excited enough that I found a drum. The idea to use the Weber kettle lid came later.

In fact, I think my kettle lid does fit the BOTTOM of my drum. But that seems like a lot more work at this point . . .

Thanks to everyone for their tips!
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

I went a different route, and in doing so, I did do some welding on the lid itself. It is thin metal and at least in my limited knowledge of welding and the the limit equipment I have, the metal did melt and pit. I had to take it very slowly and even with the low setting on my welder, it made for a long and interesting experience, but it did hold. Now my little stick welder only has two settings, high and low. So if he has better gear, I'm sure he could make it work if I can.
I've also welded on the drums in Low and you need to work fast and carefully, as it is also thin metal and you will burn a hole through the metal quickly.
I gave this drum away to a good friend a few months ago. A young kid that was my little brother's friend growing up. He's HOOOKED already.
I picked up an old Kettle off of CL the other day. I feel the need to make a new drum. Depending on how the lid fits or doesn't I just may go the route of using some flat steel like the other have done and make things easier for myself.

Don't know if the pics are still in this thread as I'm blocked from seeing em at work:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=77856
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #20
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestBBQ View Post
I think you might be posting in the wrong thread. LOL, bro, welcome to the forum!

Yeah,and he might have had too many beers.I have no idea what he's talking abut.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #21
mcrent
Got rid of the matchlight.

[QUOTE=Tricky;2273397]Yup, would have been easier. But I didn't know at the time I built my drum that one day I'd want to add a kettle lid. I was just getting started and I was excited enough that I found a drum. The idea to use the Weber kettle lid came later.

In fact, I think my kettle lid does fit the BOTTOM of my drum. But that seems like a lot more work at this point . . .

Thanks to everyone for their tips!

Is this Brian from Simi? metalmtn mike here.. I just made my UDS and flipped the weber lid upside down and welded it in the top of my drum then cut the inside of the lid out of the drum with a cutoff wheel. I set the weber bottom in the lid to help keep it flat and welded short 1 inch beads and it seem to be fine...after I got done I thought sheet.. I should have welded the weber bottom the the original lid and cut the center out of that.. will do thart on my next one.. got rushed on this one as needed to get done and practice a couple cooks on it before thanksgiving.. 40lb turkey this year...
mcrent is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post
I ended up having a piece of flat stock welded in. Using a part of the bottom kettle was too much of a pain.
Bingo. That's what I did. Welding the sheet metal could have certainly been done but your buddy would have had to be a skilled TIG welder. No problem on the rolled 18 gauge lip of the drum, but the burn-through would have happened on the 22 gauge Weber kettle metal.

seattlepitboss
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote