Bought my UDS 55 gal drum - and a bit of buyers remorse

BBQBobofA2

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I picked up my future UDS drum today - bought one new from Maxi Container in Detroit. Helpful people and a decent price - $60 for new, $30 for refurbished. After thinking of what could have been in a 55gal drum in Detroit I opted for the new.

Very excited, hope to do the build this weekend - however -

I asked if they had a bigger size drum and they do sell Salvage drums which are 85 gal. They are about 6 in. taller and 4 in. wider diameter. Normally used to put leaky 55 gal drums in for transport - Maxi only sells new ones so no toxicity worries.

I will do my first build on the 55 gal, but am now thinking the 85 gal may be the way to go - anyone have any experience / recommendations? The 85 gal was $90 new.

start with the 55 and get it how you like it, then opt for the big boy!

start with the 55 and get it how you like it, then opt for the big boy!

I agree. When you say they are "new" does that mean they have no liner inside and are smooth metal surface?

The 85 would be harder to get proper fitting grates at a reasonable price. Most 85 grates are smaller gauge much like wally world replacements. Can't go wrong with a 55 ang Weber grates. Even if you don't have a kettle lid now build in 2 sets of rack supports. That way you can opt for later without working on a greasy drum.

Thanks for the advice - i will get the 55 up and running and see how that goes. Will do the double grates and scrounge for the lid.

New is smooth bare metal (I had the option of lined, but read enough of the UDS thread to avoid that). It looks real good.

I would definitely want to start with a 55 gal and learn if this is the kind of BBQ smoker I want or not before investing the time and $$ into a larger version. The 85 gal will be harder to find parts for (grates, etc...) and take more work to get going.

Do I want one...yes.
Am I 100% satisfied with my 55 gal UDS - ABSOLUTELY!!!
Build the 55 gal and learn how bad ass it is - then talk to us about 'buyers remorse'. After your 1st BBQ I doubt we'll hear words like that again.

I built a 55 gal. UDS a couple of years ago, and this past spring "upgraded" to an 85 gal.

The place I get my barrels from here in Ohio must be pretty similar to your place. I paid 90 bucks for a brand new 85 gallon drum. The only other big expense was the cooking grate because I ordered a 26" grate from Weber which ran me about 45 bucks.

I love both of my UDS's, but the 85 is an absolute beast. It can hold A LOT of meat, and it's just as steady on temps as my 55. They both produce great que, but I like the 85 better.

But yeah, you won't be sorry with the 55. Just use the KISS method on your build and it will turn out some really good food.

Perfect your 55 the way "YOU" want it and then build the 85 and show us the prono of it ALL!!!!!!!

KSims1868- I believe his buyers remorse is from not getting the big one, not from buying a drum at all.... jsyk.

Back