Brisket, fat side down...???

V

volkanator

I've seen in a couple places to smoke a brisket with the fat side down....I don't understand the logic. Doesn't the melting fat act as a baste? Isn't that why Steven Raichlen says to leave at least a 1/4" fat cap after trimming?

:lol::lol::lol:...this is an age old argument...try it both ways and see which works best for you. I do mine fatcap down...:p

There are various reasons some like to do fat down. Some people who use vertical cookers where the heat is coming from below put the fat cap down to function as a heat shield to keep the flat from burning. In that case it is a function of the cooker more than the meat. Some people say that the fat actually bubbles up through the meat since fat floats. In that case it is about the meat.

Depends on the day of the month, time, high tide vs. low, and the precise alignment of the planets to be perfectly honest with you. :wink::lol:

There are several threads that discuss this. Really comes down to personal preference. Personally, I started out doing all of mine cap up. Then saw better results with bark, color when I went to cap down. Then I built a drum and cap down was better suited since the heat source is right under the meat. I've never seen a distinct difference in tenderness or juiciness, but now I just go with cap down and it works for me.

There have been times that by the time I get the rub on I can't remember which side is which and they have all turned out excellent. IMHO temp control is way more important that which side the fat is on.

im a fat down guy, why let all that good bark stick to your grates??? Bigabyte...never thought about the whole fat floats thing, makes sense and just makes me feel better about leaving the fat down

Most important is to make sure all the"K"s on the charcoal are lined up in a row. Then fat up or down does not matter.:p

I think it was bigmista who about a month ago did two briskets side by side, one
fat up, the other fat down. He was unable to discern a difference in taste or
moisture. He did, however, notice the difference on the grill itself; fat down left
a mess, where fat up was fairly clean.

Y'all are just wrong........FUNNY, but so wrong.......:rolleyes::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I've always done mine fat cap up, but I can see the logic in the fat cap down argument.

I had always done them Fat Cap up...as it was supposed to baste the
meat while it cooked.
However....I am thinking now that isn't true.
When you think about what is happening to the meat while it is cooking;
the fat isn't going to do any good as far as basting it is concerned.

When cooking any meat...as the temperature increases...the juice (liquid)
inside begins to expand. Just like anything that gets hot.
As the molecules in the liquid get hotter....they move faster; and are
trying to get out of the meat.

The same thing happens to cooking Turkeys in the oven at Thanksgiving,
basting it doesn't do any good as far as keeping it moist.
Because the juice inside is trying to get out...so there is no way for
the fat on the outside to get it.

So if you try it Fat Cap down...and the top of the Brisket is too dry...
try it Fat Cap up next time...to protect it from burning on the outside.

It is like others have said....it's personal preference...try it both ways and
see which way you like best...if it even matters.

Im beginning to believe that the concept of basting/self basting in general is bogus.

Think about it…when you grill a steak all the juices start to get squeezed out (that’s why you see little blood droplets form on the top before your first flip). What makes you think that juice you place on top will somehow work it’s way against the flow of traffic INTO the pores of the meat that are already squeezing juice out? I think it just rolls off or at best just sits there pooled up.

Chicken/Turkey basting for sure is bogus. Skin is watertight. Moisture is mos def rolling off.

I think I'm changing my entire stance on the subject!

Amazing what a lil common sense will get ya! :)
Im beginning to believe that the concept of basting/self basting in general is bogus.

Think about it…when you grill a steak all the juices start to get squeezed out (that’s why you see little blood droplets form on the top before your first flip). What makes you think that juice you place on top will somehow work it’s way against the flow of traffic INTO the pores of the meat that are already squeezing juice out? I think it just rolls off or at best just sits there pooled up.

Chicken/Turkey basting for sure is bogus. Skin is watertight. Moisture is mos def rolling off.

I think I'm changing my entire stance on the subject!

Brethren,
There is a scientific way to figure out if the fat cap should be up or down. It can be explained by a simple mathmatical formula:

R = ((BW/4)*(AAT*1.0458)*(1/ACT-14))/((ToRA/ToB)*100)+CD
IF the integer of R is EVEN, then Fatcap UP
IF the integer of R is ODD, then Fatcap Down
IF the integer of R is ZERO, then grind brisket and make brisket burgers
-------
R = Results
BW = Brisket Weight
AAT = Ambient Air Temp (Outside Smoker)
ACT= Average Cooking Temp.
ToRA = Thickness of Rub Applied (in micrometers)
ToB = Thickness of Brisket (at thickest point)
CD= Calendar Date (day 1-31)

There, I hope that helps!

Actually it really does not matter, HONEST! It depends on how much love and affection you give your brisket when you are rubbing it:mrgreen:. That is what counts! Truuuust Me, said the politician.:wink:

When cooking any meat...as the temperature increases...the juice (liquid) inside begins to expand. Just like anything that gets hot.

I believe this is false. Water is an exception to the rule and actually becomes more dense as it gets hotter. I know ice is less dense than water. Obviously steam is different.

dmp

Something to consider is your cooking surface: If you have a "normal" stainless steel grate such as what comes in a WSM, you will get less direct heat applied to your meat than if you have an expanded steel mesch grate, such as what comes on most custom pits. Steel will retain heat better than stainless and the larger surface area contacting the meat will serve to cook that side more. I know some ppl who hang their briskets.

dmp

Fat down on UDS and WSM

Fat up on Traeger.

You may ask why? The answer is quite simple...because that's what I like.

Back