Thirdeye's Smoke Ring Experiment

Porchpup

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Thought I'd give it a try. A little bitty 2 lb flat that the Wife brought home.
Sprinkled it with Tender Quick, few drops of water to make paste and let it set for 30 minutes.
Brisket3_2.jpg

Then I gave it a good rinsing and back in the frig for a hour.
Nothing but a salt, pepper and cayenne rub.
Brisket3_3.jpg

Fired up the WSM using cold water in the pan and only 7 lit coals to keep the temps down as long as possible.
I was able to keep the internal temp below 140 for almost 2 hours.
I decided to go low and slow instead of fast and hot. After 3 hours I just had to look.
At this point the internal temp was 158 and didn't move for 4 hours. In fact it dropped to 154 before it begin to rise again.
Brisket3_4.jpg

I have always cooked whole packers so I didn't think this little fellow would take too long.
Never did I expect it to take almost 10 hours. That is 5 hours a pound. :shock:
After 1 hour resting in foil you see it is is no bigger than a large steak at this point but has a great bark and smells wonderful.
Brisket3_5.jpg

Now how is that for a smoke ring? A few slices of this is going to work tomorrow for bragging rights.
Brisket3_6.jpg

Brisket3_8.jpg

Brisket3_7.jpg

Good smoke taste, very good texture but a little dry. I expected that with the amount of time on the smoker and can be easily fixed.
Great post thirdeye! I didn't expect this one to take so long but is was a great experiment. :wink:

I cook briskets on a CS so when I want a smoke ring.. I add a piece of charcoal or as you did use curing salt to create the elusive smoke ring.

Lord you cooked that one backwards. Looks cooked in the middle and raw around the outer edges. LOL.
So are you a firm believer in TQ?

You sure that smoke rings not magic marker? Just jokin. Nice work and thanks for the experiment.

And that my friends, is exactly why they say to ignore the "smoke" ring when judging.

And that is an excellent point. I only did this as a test to see if I could improve my technique and to see if it really would work.

As a side note: I have a vehicle that I've spent tons of time and money on the audio system. It competes in a "Sound Quality" class.
Without getting too technical is all about how well it reproduces the original recording and stages the band on the dash.
The other third of the score is "Show". Nothing to do with how good it sounds but how good it looks and how flashy it is.
With that said I think taste should be the only concern but, nothing wrong with adding a little flash.
It only encourages me put forth a little more attention to detail in the future.

Thanks everybody for the comments and again thanks thirdeye.

Back